passenger sliding door problems - Page 2 - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 11:49 AM

Re: passenger sliding door problems

I have the same problem on a 2005 (Gen 2) Sienna LE. How similar is the process to fix it (manual door)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 03:56 PM

I just fixed the passenger side sliding manual door on my 2002 Sienna CE based upon information posted by e40 in this thread. Very useful!!

The outside door handle on the passenger side sliding door was not operating the cable had a slack. The pictures of the assembly were very useful and nicely illustrated. I could fix the problem in no time.

I must have saved atleast 150 bucks came very close to taking to toyota.

kopguy
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 11:29 AM

I have a 2000 Sienna LE. The right-hand side power sliding door hasn't worked in a very long time and a number of reset attempts have been unsuccessful. I would like to make the door completely manual by disconnecting the motor. What is the best way to go about this? Do I cut the cables and if so, then what? Does the motor need to be physically removed? Thanks in advance for any help.

post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 02:04 AM

Hi, I think my pushing the stuck power door may have snapped the cable. The door did not open when my son tried opening it
by pushing the switch. That's when I tried opening it manually. The cable snapped. I saw an end of the cable sticking out. Looked like
as if the end piece broke off ( assuming these cables are same as bike break cables with similar 'T' type ends). Now the power
door has no friction, I could easily open and close it. The 'Power Door' light is lit all the time. If I do not turn the power door
switch 'off' the van beeps as soon as I put it in a gear ( R or D ).
Could some one help me diagnose it, how and where do I start ?
Thanks.

Here are some pics of it. I have both,Bad_door_1.jpgBad_door_broken_cable_end_2.jpgBad_door_no_cable_3.jpgGood_door_cable_end_4.jpg bad and good door pics for reference.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 06:16 AM

The Hopper From DISH
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 03:12 PM

If you pull the outside handle and the cable is stretched to the point the latch does not open (and the door opens find with the inside button), just use a small nut and bolt as a spacer so that the cable does not have to move as far. Works great and cheap. Though a couple of months after that fix, the electric lock actuator failed. I bought one online from Autozone.com Be careful when ordering. Even though I have an LE, with power locks, it does not have power operated doors (thankfully) and that actuator has a different part number then the part shown for the CE model which does not have power doors. The non power door models have a 2 pin connector and power door models have four pins for the actuator.
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinBing View Post
I have a 2000 Sienna LE. The right-hand side power sliding door hasn't worked in a very long time and a number of reset attempts have been unsuccessful. I would like to make the door completely manual by disconnecting the motor. What is the best way to go about this? Do I cut the cables and if so, then what? Does the motor need to be physically removed? Thanks in advance for any help.
Our passenger side power door also won't open. Pressing any power door open button (including on the key remote) clicks something in the door and the door opens about 3/8" and that's it. Doing the reset procedure worked a few times but never lasts. Installing a new battery allowed the power door to open/close for about 2 months but then same problem returned.

Would like to just make that door operate manually. Any tips on how to do that?

Thanks,
SiennaGuy77
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 08:56 PM

Just fixed my passenger side sliding door. Cable had too much slack, so move plastic clip over on notch. The door had not been working from the inside for over 2 years. Thank you!
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 02:04 AM

My 2002 sienna has a similar problem. The passenger side sliding door can not open from insider by pressing the top button, but it is OK to open from outside handle. This happened for a couple months. Today I removed the door plastics panel, then found the snapped cables for rear latch was a little bit slack. I found some cables have bracket to hold it. The bracket is hold by screw. So I adjusted the bracket position, to make snapped cable more tightly, then the problems solved.
Then tonight I found e40's(04-19-2010) post explained very clear about the whole latch mechanism. One thing wanted to mention, the cup holder is removable, then it is easy to remove the only one screw to secure the whole door panel.
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 02:22 PM

You rock e40!!!! Thanks for the guide, turned a potential mechanic visit costing $$ into a DIY free-fest that took a few minutes to fix. it actually took longer for me to find the wd40!
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 11:20 PM

I just fixed my sliding door which would not unlock. Posting with pics on Maintenance sectiion. Simply moved the lock cable end to the next groove up.

http://www.siennachat.com/forum/153-...ml#post1204273
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 11:30 PM

Haynes says to remove the outside half of the cup holder with a trim tool. It has two clips at the bottom. My builder reached inside the cup holder to pop them. Haynes says to reach up from underneath which is cool unless the door won't open. Then, one doesn't need a long screwdriver to take out that screw in the cupholder.
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 10:42 AM

To summarize my three postiings, (which I separated to make it easier to find the proper posting for a given problem) there are two adjustments in the latch assembly. One cable end for the thumb lock on the non-power door, if the lock won't open, and I theorized move it the other way if the door won't lock. The cable end has three grooves. Unsnap it from the clip and move it to another groove to adjust. Someone else said this. I just included a photo.

and, one cable end for the thumb button, the inside button which lets you open the door from the inside. Move it up one notch and the door opens easily with the inside thumb button.

http://www.siennachat.com/forum/153-...en-solved.html with photos

Also http://www.siennachat.com/forum/153-...mb-button.html
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 09:59 AM

I managed a self-repair on a sliding door that wouldn't close. I thought this post might help the next guy.

In anger, I slammed the driver's side sliding passenger door on our 2006 Sienna while dealing with my kid's tantrum. Unfortunately, she had locked the door just before I slammed it, which jammed the rearmost latch mechanism. I tried to un-jam the latch using a screwdriver, but it wouldn't budge. I was finally able to get it to release to the normal position by applying pressure on the latch with a screwdriver while simultaneously pulling on the outside handle. Whatever was stuck on the inside broke free and the door latch snapped back to normal.

The door no longer locks into the fully closed position by itself anymore, however, so I have to apply pressure to the right side of the door while closing to get it to latch. I guess I'm stronger than I thought - I must have bent the latch mechanism when I slammed it hard. Anyway, I'm just happy to have fixed it myself. As long as it lasts another year, I'll be happy. The van has 150,000 miles on it, and we're due for a new one.
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 04:27 AM

2002 Sienna XLE. Alternator failed, battery voltage dropped, car wouldn't run. Replaced alternator and charged battery.

Now van runs fine but "Pwr Door" indicator on instrument panel stays on all the time. Pressing Power Door button on the remote or any switch in van, the passenger power sliding door will not open. Can hear the door latches click but door doesn't move at all.

If door manually slid to fully open position, when pwr door on remote is pressed, sliding door closes properly.

Did the power sliding door reset procedure but no change in symptoms.

Prior to the alternator failure, the passenger power sliding door opened and closed normally. Is the power door ECU toast?

Tags
door, passenger, problems, sliding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page