passenger sliding door problems - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

passenger sliding door problems

Hello all--

My 02 CE has always had problems with a sticky mechanism for the manual passenger sliding door. Several years ago we had Toyota replace the latch cable assembly and that corrected the problem for a time.

However lately the door again requires excessive yanking to get it open and I'm waiting for the day the entire handle comes off in my wife's hands, especially in the coming winter.

Obviously there is a design flaw and replacing the assembly is not the permanent answer.
Anyone out there diagnose the flaw and find a way to modify the assembly?

Thanks in advance,
-Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 01:17 PM

Re: passenger sliding door problems

is the problem on the drivers side?

my 2002 van has never had a problem with the left side door opening.
the right side electric door has been a bit tricky sometimes.

I just give them a good shot of silicone spray from time to time
this lube product will lube the door and not collect dirt.

your door may be bent, may need to get another mech to look at it, the first one may have been a trainee.

post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

The trouble door is the right side slider--it's manual, not electric

I regulary give the latches a spray of silicone, but the problem seems to be with the internal mechanism. The left sliding door opens cleanly with a easy pull--you can hear the mechanism inside click.

The right side doesn't have the same feeling--the only clicking I can hear is the rear latch mechanism working. It sounds like the front latch isn't being opened properly. I don't believe it to be bent--the door matches nicely with the body panels when closed and glides in its track with no trouble.

I searched and found some pictorals for removing the inside panel of the slider doors--but don't know what to expect when I do pull it off.

-Brad
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 01:37 PM
Supporting Member

I have always found the right side door 'fussier' than the left. It takes more effort to open and close for some reason!? I lube it as well which seems to help a bit. The biggest beef I have with the sliding doors is the creaking, which no amount of lube solves for very long. It is starting to wear flat spots on the door latch on both doors.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Supporting Member

I have never owned an GEN1 sienna. I could be "totally" wrong but i "think" the cables are adjustable. By adjustable i mean there are different places where the cable snaps into the retainer to take up slack as things wear.

I did have a neigbours door apart(3 years ago?) for this problem. He has sinced moved but i can not remember the fix.

Maybe i am thinking of my previa? and it is adjustable?

Maybe someone has had the door panel off to confirm if it is adjustable?

(robo5 still looking around )

2004 CE
AIR LIFT '1000'
OVERHEAD 'DEALER' DVD
'HITCH CITY' 2' HITCH
Support 'SIENNACHAT' HERE

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 04:24 PM

On mine, the sliding doors will stick, but the reason is the kids leave sugary soft drinks in the cup holders. They will eventually leak through the cup and the liquid gets on to the door gasket and causes the door to stick. Cleaning off the stickum fixes the problem. It is surprising that it can be near impossible to open the door. I don't know if this could be your issue, but it certainly has been mine.

I also notice the interior release button (the one on the handle you press in to open the door) sticking in from time to time. When this happens, you cant get the door to close and latch. Banging with my hand near the stuck button usually causes it to pop out.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 06:17 PM
e40

I've dealt with a couple problems already on my 2003, on the drivers side. (Manual doors).

What helps is if you remove the door panel, and have a good look at the latch mechanism that all the cables connect to, watch it as you pull the various handles to see how it 'ticks'.

Anyway, my first problem was difficulty opening the door from the outside handle. The problem there was the cable was stretched, and wasn't rotating the mechanism enough to open the latch. I had to buy a whole handle assembly, with the cable attached, because the cable isn't available separately. I went ahead and ordered the correct colored handle, used the cable off it, and kept the handle for the inevitable day my kid will rip it off.

The second problem was on the same door, this time the 'button' at the top of the door grab handle was sticking in, or, simply refusing to pop the latch. I didn't need to buy anything to fix this problem! Again, I remove the door panel, and the grab handle. What happened was the cable became seperated from its end jacket. I just glued the chrome end back on with JB-Qwik (fast setting JB Weld) and it's been fine ever since.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg doorcable.jpg (46.3 KB, 322 views)
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 10:09 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks e40 . By your post I can only assume that it is NOT adjustable.

Nice work. Thanks for the input.

robo5

2004 CE
AIR LIFT '1000'
OVERHEAD 'DEALER' DVD
'HITCH CITY' 2' HITCH
Support 'SIENNACHAT' HERE

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 03:33 PM
e40

I had this happen to me on the other side of the van this weekend. Since I knew exactly what I was dealing with, I thought I'd take additional photos to contribute to the thread further.

First step is to remove the door panel. All you need to do is remove the 10mm bolt from the cup holder. (Can use a long screwdriver, too). The door panel pops right off.

Pull back the plastic cover, and you'll be presented with the latch mechanism. See the notes I put in the JPG.

Here is one of my cables with the separated jacket. It was on the lock/unlock cable. So, as a result, the lock/unlock cam was only travelling part way, so it rendered all the other handles useless. (Could not open the door at all)

This is the cable after repair. Last time I used JB-Kwik. This time I used a cheap 2-part mix epoxy I bought from Harbor Freight. Seemed to work good.

post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 07:10 AM
Supporting Member

NICE job!! 8)

I'm sure this will be helpful to at least some of the 1stGen owners out there....and possibly to other model years which might exhibit the same problems.

YMMV.
Good Luck!! 8)

2004 XLE Ltd FWD Phantom Grey Pearl/Stone // 140K miles
. Pod-Style Running Boards
. OEM Hood Deflector (wimpy-version)
. 'kmead/SeanY' Rear-Wiper Salute
. 'mungpat' DIY Cabin Air Filter $$$-Saver
. Michelin HydroEdge (ex-Yokohama TRZ) ... looking for replacements
. Costco/Kirkland #9 battery
. Longer front wipers
. Britax Frontier 90

post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 01:04 AM

I had this same issue of the plastic jacket separating from the metal piece. Here is alternative to spending money on adhesives using tools and electrical tape that most people should have around the house. I pinched the metal piece back onto the jacket with a tool designed to cut things flush to a surface and tightly wrapping it with electrical tape. Keep in mind you need to be careful you do not over crimp and pinch the cable. I can't remember the exact name of the tool I used. But, I suggest using a tool that you can pinch it evenly at two points and has a thin contact point to facilitate the crimp.

2003 Sienna XLE 315k
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Well, it's been almost a year since this original post and it took a rainy camping day this year for me to tackle it. On this trip we had also experienced a sticking interior door release button on the other working door, so it was time to take action.
My issue turned out to be the cable from the exterior door handle. There was too much slack in it--the handle did not 'pull' enough cable to complete the rotation of the cam system. Being out in the Canadian wilds I wasn't about to attempt to modify the cable itself by shortening it, so I simple took two medium zipties and filled the space between the cable end stop and the cam slot. Problem solved.

The sticky interior release button was easy--disassemble, clean and lube with petrolium jelly.

It really pays to travel with a tool kit including duct tape, zip ties and lube of some kind.

Thanks to all who commented on this thread--especially for the photos

-Brad
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 09:27 PM

Passenger sliding door problems

I was cleaning up my 1998 LE for possible sale (sold the PT - so I am keeping it now), when I decided to tackle an annoyance - the doors not staying open or sometimes sticking.

I cleaned the track and sprayed silicone oil on moving parts. It worked - for a few moments. What I failed to do was pry open the locking mechanism with my finger before lubricating (see pictures) to make sure it is well lubricated. I sprayed this mechanism in the open position and presto - it works all the time.

The passenger slider then got stuck in the open position, as the button inside the door was stuck closed. I sprayed silicone around the button crevice and presto - it no longer sticks.

My wife took this into Toyota and they couldn't think of trying this.

I read many guys talking about silicone - but this is just one of those little dooh! moments that can drive you crazy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0481.JPG (92.7 KB, 336 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0482.JPG (91.4 KB, 258 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0483.JPG (74.6 KB, 220 views)

2007 Sienna Ltd AWD
1998 Sienna LE
1967 Triumph TR 4a
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 07:59 AM

I had the same problem with mine. I sprayed a dry silicone on the rubber seal that surrounds the opening of the door and also cleaned the area where the rubber seal buts against on the door when it's closed. It seems to be working. Plastic handles, what a pain if they break
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 10:52 PM

How do I replace a broken driver side sliding door exterior handle on 2000 Sienna? Thank you.

Tags
door, passenger, problems, sliding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page