2005 Sienna LE having Coolant leak
NEWS

1. Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum General discussion forum for Toyota Sienna

Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Sienna.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Sienna Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2005 Sienna LE having Coolant leak

2005 Sienna LE having Coolant leak

Hello Sienna forum members

I have Toyota Sienna LE 2005 with 59600 miles. I had to take the mini van to a local Toyota dealer to get the work done for the recall to fix spare tire cable. The service rep said the vehicle is leaking coolant and it requires a new water pump. In order to replace water pump the timing belt needs to be removed. He said he'll install a new timing belt along along with 3 new sealants for some fluids. he gave an estimate of $1080.00. He also said water pump typically lasts anywhere from 60K miles to 150K miles and that my vehicle got this problem quite early.

I need to decide on this costly maintenance ASAP. If I don't fix it the engine could overheat and get damaged. I would like to know if this is a common problem with 2005 Sienna where the coolant leak occurs around 60K miles. Also does it require new timing belt ? I would like to know about the maintenance done by other Sienna owners so please share your experiences. Please help !

Thank You
    NP

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

Re: 2005 Sienna LE having Coolant leak

The first thing you should be doing is taking it to another trusted mechanic and getting a second opinion. Let's say it actually is leaking, which I doubt. You should only be paying around $400 to $600 to get that work done. Anything more is way too much. Have you been able to verify that your coolant is leaking? Is there a pool of coolant underneath where you park your van? Did he show you where the coolant is coming out from the water pump? I find it really hard to believe that at 5 yrs and 60k miles this is happening. The timing belt is supposed to be replaced every 90K miles OR 6 years, whichever comes first. So if you indeed actually do have a leak then go ahead and replace the timing belt as well, since you are only a year away. But really, get a second opinion!
    2004 Sienna LE 7 in White 156K miles w/ alloys, power sliding door, homelink, trip computer, DVD, DRL mod.
    1995 Odyssey LX in White 246K miles.

Do you know what the in-service date is for your van? It may still be under the 5yr/60K mile powertrain warranty. If it is, only the cost of the actual belt (less than $50) is all you would pay. If you're not under warranty, $1000 does seem a bit steep. With the pump, belt and coolant replacement, I'd figure less than $700. Certainly get a second opinion if you're out of warranty. And these pumps don't usually "last 60 to 150k miles". Pumps on most 1MZ and 3MZ engines can last for 200k+ miles with no issues.

And unless there's coolant seriously dripping out, just check the level to make sure it's good and you should be fine to drive it.

And yes....go ahead and replace the timing belt, as it has to be removed to install the new pump anyway. Be sure to ask for the old belt....just to keep them honest.

wag

I don't think that the water pump is covered under the powertrain warranty.
    $1000 is WAY too much!

Yes...pumps fall under the PT warranty.

jc
    Devoted Member

Although it may be rare, there are other members on second generation Sienna's that have had their pumps fail prematurely. Labour rates are from Toyota dealerships and yes they can be that steep. Looks like they want to replace all seals since you have a possible coolant leak.

To get at the pump the Timing belt needs to be removed (the belt drives the water pump pulley). If the coolant has been leaking, it will have been leaking all over the belt. You don't want to do all that labour and keep the old belt that has been covered in coolant.

See my post for my pictures on the timing belt job I did this past summer.

http://siennachat.com/forum/index.php/topic,93.0.html you will see a picture of the water pump. which is in the middle of the configuration.

I would buy the Toyota oem parts from 1sttoyotaparts.com or another online Toyota parts seller which can save you around %50 compared to your stealership. Supply your own parts and save around $100 to $150 by just doing this (this is for the Timing belt and Water pump).

Before doing this, I would make sure the vehicle is losing coolant. Is the coolant level low, engine overheating, puddle forming on the driveway or garage floor?

If you do need the repair, then maybe you can have a friendly talk with the service manager and ask them if they can lower their labour charge out of goodwill. He may be a jerk, but at least you could try before proceeding with repairs. It maybe be that the water pump gasket could have failed (the gasket is metal with a rubber type gasket on the surface).

Good luck and keep us posted.

FYI doing this job yourself would be a huge effort (I did it, but for most they wouldn't have the patience and wouldn't want to risk it).

Regards, JC.
    1998 Sienna XLE Silver Spruce Metallic
    Air Lift 1000's
    Bridgestone Ecopia Summer/Bridgestone Blizzaks Winter
    271,xxx kms

Hello everyone

Thanks a lot to everyone who responded and helped me. I took the vehicle to an ASE certiified service center for a 2nd opinion. They did a pressure test on cooling system for $50.00. The result they gave is there's nothing wrong with the coolant. The coolant system pressure was found to be normal. Fans operate and coolant is circulating normally. I didn't find any fluid dripping under the vehicle. I'll be taking the Sienna to this mechanic for 60,000 mile service in about 3 weeks. It makes me wonder what the mechanic at the Toyota dealer was upto by recommending a costly maintenance that's not needed.

Once again thanks everyone who responded. This forum is great !

Regards
    NP

jc
    Devoted Member

The Toyota mechanic probably needs to pay some bills and trying to pry your wallet open. :o

Glad to give you some information to put your mind at ease. Keep us posted on the results.

Regards, JC.
    1998 Sienna XLE Silver Spruce Metallic
    Air Lift 1000's
    Bridgestone Ecopia Summer/Bridgestone Blizzaks Winter
    271,xxx kms

I am just glad you took it somewhere else and that there really wasn't a problem. I would now contact Toyota Corporate and file a complaint against that dealership and that mechanic. If he is lying then many others are being robbed as well. I would also demand that they repay you the $50 you had to pay at the other mechanic to find out nothing is wrong.
    2004 Sienna LE 7 in White 156K miles w/ alloys, power sliding door, homelink, trip computer, DVD, DRL mod.
    1995 Odyssey LX in White 246K miles.

11. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements