VVT-i Oil Hose Replacement-Limited Service Campaign

1. Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum – General discussion forum for Toyota Sienna

Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Sienna.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Sienna Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: VVT-i Oil Hose Replacement-Limited Service Campaign

Supporting Member

VVT-i Oil Hose Replacement-Limited Service Campaign

Woo-hoo! I just received in the mail from Toyota that they are going to replace the rubber oil hose with a newly designed one at no charge. I have until Mar. 31, 2013 to have it done. I hope it's the metal hose. Now I won't have to worry about it.

This limited service campaign applies to certain 2007-2010 model year Siennas.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Re: VVT-i Oil Hose Replacement-Limited Service Campaign

Most likely not the metal hose..... just a replacement for the rubber part of the assembly. I would be very surprised if they did replace it with a metal one. It is much cheaper for them labor wise to just replace the rubber section.
    2007 Sienna LE, Silver shadow pearl, DRL
    Sound Insulated with Peel and Seal
    MB Quart Rear Separates
    Chrome LED Side view mirror covers
    Polished SS exhaust tip
    glovebox LED light
    uluahunter LED lightstrip mod (24 LED rear amber turn signals and 120 LED brake light)
    96 LED rear storage light

I had that service done 3 months ago. They replace the rubber hose with one rated correctly for oil. The correct hose will last the life of the car, just like the rest of the rubber hoses draped around it. Steel lines also fail, caused by stress fractures from many thermal cycles.

NLK

I had mine replaced with the original recall and the replacement just blew. Oil all over my driveway, hopefully no engine damage done. Had to flatbed tow to dealer. The replacement for the replacement is covered by my extended warranty, which is good since I have about 63,000 miles on the van...but it should have been at no charge anyhow, I think. The replacement hose seems to be just as bad as the original.

Did the "replacement" have a yellow stripe, or did the dealer pull a fast one on you?

Supporting Member

And this is becoming the REAL question of the day. Are the new hoses actually failing (I'm starting to doubt it based on what we are seeing reported), or is this a dealer issue?
    '08 Sienna LE (FWD) in Slate Metallic, '02 and '14 Subaru Outback wagons
    Sienna:
    Enabled DRL & VIP RS3200 Security
    Curt 13256 2” receiver hitch & Air Lift 1000 rear spring bags
    Fog lights, mud guards, & door sill protectors
    Avery ‘Touring’ custom grey carpet 3 piece floor mat set
    Continental Extreme Winter on Sport Edition F7 rims, TMPS & ATEQ reset tool
    8yr/125k $0 deductible Platinum warranty

In what year did they start using a metal hose during vehicle manufacture, instead of a rubber one to fix this problem? Does anyone know how effective the metal hoses have proven?

Supporting Member

Word has it that the production changeover to the all metal line took place around April, 2008, so consider any 2009 and beyond Sienna to be safe, and any 2008 and prior to be suspect. There have been no reports of failure with the all metal line, and frankly, I beginning to doubt that there really are any failures with a properly done rubber line replacement using the fluorinated rubber part.
    Sienna:

After all this chatter here, I checked my dealer-replaced hose (it was replaced years ago) and it has the yellow stripe and appears to be the correct replacement hose.

Interesting to see how long this problem has been known by Toyota. My Sienna failed in 2013 and it was repaired at a local Firestone. In fall of 2014 I got the letter from Toyota announcing LSC 90K, and telling me how to apply for reimbursement for the repair. There are a lot of loopholes in this program if you had the repair done anywhere but a Toyota shop. I sent in the detailed repair invoice and other information. Then I had to take the Sienna to the Toyota shop to have them check the repair. Then they wanted a letter from Firestone explaining the repair. After a few phone calls I learned that the problem was that the Firestone part numbers aren't Toyota part numbers. The reimbursement only applies if original Toyota parts are used (would be nice to know that from the start). I got Firestone to research the parts source (Toyota dealership) and the Toyota part numbers. I called Toyota with this information but they are not optimistic. I sent hard copies of the information so we'll see what happens now.

The real frustration is that you can only talk to a "Customer Experience" agent. You can't talk to a supervisor. You can't talk to the Reimbursement department that actually evaluates the case. You can only talk to the people who are trained to tell you how much they value you as a customer- you can't talk any common sense to anyone who makes decisions.

If you had the repair done at Toyota- good for you. If you didn't, beware that you are in for months of frustration and research. We've been pleased with our Sienna but I am very frustrated with the run- around from Toyota service.

Sorry for your troubles. Toyota corporate sucks. They should be ashamed to manufacture the engine with a known failure point, provide reimbursement to save face, and then set up roadblocks. Makes you want to buy something else, right? Are you listening Toyota?
    '05 XLE Limited AWD (Arctic Frost/Taupe, 3G Turanza EL400)
    '06 330i
    '05 XC70

Something else like what? GM, ford, mitsu. Toyota is at the top of the heap for reliability and build quality. I agree that the rubber hose should have been addressed quicker and with the steel line instead of a new rubber hose. But car makers have used rubber hose for oil for decades. They just picked the wrong material for the job. I talked with a mechanic and he felt the engineers used a rubber connection there to insulate the steel lines from vibration. Vibration could break the braised joints. So it makes sense in a way. But there is always the risk a rubber hose can rupture. I swapped a steel line in on my 2008 just for peace of mind and for the $30 it cost, its well worth it.

its not the first nor the last mistake they will make. I also have a 1999 4runner. The rear axle seals were redesigned in 2003 and now the axles are difficult to seal because the retainer isnt in the correct position. But the truck is otherwise reliable especially considering it has 180,000 miles on it.

just deal with the problems as they come up. Because in the end, its much cheaper to maintain a toyota than any other car maker out there.

Drcoffee is right. My Sienna is the least satisfying Toyota I own (of the 5 I have), but I wouldn't trade it for a Pontiac Montana (or insert GM vehicle here). And while Toyota 'corporate' isn't great, don't turn to Ford as an example of after-the-sale customer service.

Supporting Member

Our 2002 Honda Odyssey was excellent overall, and my wife keeps reminding me that we should have purchased another Honda rather than the Sienna. This is our 4th Toyota and the worst reliability-wise by a long shot. Someday I'll have to add it all up, but I'd say Toyota has dumped $9k or more into this thing? Thank G-d for the zero deductible extended warranty. But to their credit, it has pretty much been hassle-free. Point to what doesn't work right this particular week, and they fix it. Yes, I truly got a lemon. Most aren't near this bad....

Radio replaced (died)
    Radiator replaced (leaked)
    Overhead electronic console (died)
    Excessive rotor runout (replaced)
    TPMS sensors (two replaced)
    Spare tire carrier corrosion (replaced)
    Window tracks (shattered glass when the track disengaged!)
    VVTi failure (twice!) Second fail required pulling of engine - two weeks downtime
    HVAC fan (bad bearings)
    Numerous oil leaks - rear main seal, crank seal, oil pan gasket
    Steering intermediate shaft joint (clicks & kicks)
    Hatch struts (lid drops) - failing again (now they won't fully extend and stick there)
    Power port (either stop working or pull out of dash)
    Sienna:

Claim it under the lemon law. That van needs to be scapped.

17. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements