New OEM brake pads?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum General discussion forum for Toyota Sienna

Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Sienna.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Sienna Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New OEM brake pads?

New OEM brake pads?

my 07 sienna LE is approximately time to change brake pads front and rear. Does anyone know where I can get the OEM for a good price or any other brands that you can recommend?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

wag

Re: New OEM brake pads?

Akebono ProACT Ceramic Brake Pads. You can order them on line for about $44 per axle and they come with the backing shims attached (the Toyota OEM pads do not come with shims). I have them on my Sienna. They are excellent brake pads! Smooth, strong, quiet, and clean. Akebono is Toyota's OEM brake pad supplier but I strongly suspect that the ProACT pads are a higher-end product than what they sell to Toyota because they definately perform better than the OEM pads.

Just put pads on my van. Autozone offers a lifetime warranty on their brake components. Just save the reciept and box, and you don't have to pay for pads again.

Supporting Member

I use Toyota of Dallas as OEM parts supplier. Front pads for 04-10 Sienna is $55.85 plus shipping.
    http://www.toyotapartsales.com
    Romualds
    2004 LE
    Mods to meet European rules: http://www.siennachat.com/forum/index.php?topic=324.0
    Download 2005 Sienna Repair Manuar here: http://www.siennachat.com/forum/index.php?topic=805.0

I used Monroe brake pads with a NAPA rotor on my 2004. I do not recommend that combination because the brakes stopped the van less effectively than the original factory brakes.

Akebono ceramic pads were mentioned above, and I had a good experience with them for my truck. They are one of the more expensive aftermarket pads, $48 at rockauto for the front pads for a Sienna, but it's one of those cases where you get what you pay for.
    2004 Sienna LE AWD

Supporting Member

I have used the Duralast Gold Cmax from Autozone on the front...pt. number 060304, DGC906... price was $54.95. Still have my receipt as they have a lifetime warranty. They have been very good at stopping my 07 Sienna. My only reservation has been that they have a slight tendency to squeak under light braking but only when the weather is hot and dry. They are a Ceramic pad (Cmax). I strongly suggest you get the Ceramic type pad as it has been my experience that the ceramic pads have better stopping power with less pedal effort. These come with rubberized backing shims and new bolts for installation. Also remember to clean and re-lubricate the slider pins on the front caliper assy. as these have a tendency to dry out and seize up. As for the rears, I have drum brakes and I use the best shoes I can find at the parts stores. I have only had to change them once at about 95K. mi. I have not been able to find a ceramic rear shoe. But I suppose that is because the majority of the stopping power is in your front brakes. It is still very important to keep the rear brakes clean and adjusted properly as they still need to do their fair share of braking. I have known a lot of people that have had trouble with brakes overheating and glazing because they do not clean and adjust the rear brakes properly :o. I have noticed that these front pads also tend to leave a lot of brake dust...more than usual... now that I have had them for about a year.
    2007 Sienna LE, Silver shadow pearl, DRL
    Sound Insulated with Peel and Seal
    MB Quart Rear Separates
    Chrome LED Side view mirror covers
    Polished SS exhaust tip
    glovebox LED light
    uluahunter LED lightstrip mod (24 LED rear amber turn signals and 120 LED brake light)
    96 LED rear storage light

Supporting Member

I used OEM at the front, after dealing with the garbage sold to me by NAPA as their "premium" ceramic pads for the rear. The NAPA things had improperly stamped backing plates which did not slide properly in the caliper.

When we bought our Sienna almost 2 years ago, the dealer we bought it from did the brakes for us. After I got it home I discovered that they put organic pads all the way around. Didn't know much (and still don't know much) about them, but they stop really well and I have discovered that they don't leave much brake dust on the wheels. Clean ups are much nicer. I have no idea how much they cost, but when I need brakes again, I will concider them.
    05 Sienna LE

Just got the Akebono ProACT Ceramic Brake Pads as of many of you recommended. Thanks guys!

Let us know about the stopping distance,and brake dust . Did you change rotors ?
    2008 Sienna LE 2WD Blue Mirage
    Mods Airlift 1000 air bags
    Toyota Sienna door sill protectors
    Kenwood Dnx 6160 dvd/nav w 14' monitor
    Chrome exhaust tip (he he)
    Activated DRL's

wag

I am not getting any noticeable brake dust with the Akebono ProACT pads (unlike the OEM pads that came on it).

How does the performance seem with the stock rotors ? Also does anyone know the life expectancy out of these shoes ?
    2008 Sienna LE 2WD Blue Mirage
    Mods Airlift 1000 air bags
    Toyota Sienna door sill protectors
    Kenwood Dnx 6160 dvd/nav w 14' monitor
    Chrome exhaust tip (he he)
    Activated DRL's

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by steelcity
    How does the performance seem with the stock rotors?
    I see no reason for the brand/type/construction of any rotor in the stock size to affect braking performance, other than fade. Having never had an issue with brake fade in eight years of use (including towing), I can't imagine getting anything other than stock or equivalent for rotors. If you're racing your Sienna, that's a different situation...

wag

Quote Originally Posted by steelcity
    How does the performance seem with the stock rotors ? Also does anyone know the life expectancy out of these shoes ?
    I have the original rotors on mine. I haven't done any "official" braking distance measurements, but my impression is that the brakes are performing better and the peddle feel/modulation/effort is more to my liking. I should add that at the time I replaced the brake pads I also flushed-out the old brake fluid, put in DOT 4 fluid, and bled the brake system. This likely contributed to the improved peddle feel. I can tell you that my wife noticed the new brakes IMMEDIATELY and mentioned it to me right after her first drive.
    With only 10k miles on them it is too soon to tell how long they will wear.
    I have heard a LOT of people complaining about the cheap Chinese replacement rotors that are being sold by many of the auto parts stores.

I put the Akebono ProACT Ceramic Brake Pads on last year and like them a lot. Quiet, clean and good stopping power (slightly better than OEM)

Mike
    Vancouver, Washington

17. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements