My Sienna Eats Tires??
NEWS

1. Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum General discussion forum for Toyota Sienna

Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Sienna.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Sienna Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My Sienna Eats Tires??

My Sienna Eats Tires??

2008 Sienna LE. Salsa Red (Maybe the color is why it eats tires, don't know?). It's not AWD. Had it in for alignment in 7/11 and all measurements were in spec / no adjustments made.

The OEM tires lasted around 23,000. Now at 50,000 the replacement tires are at 2/32 AGAIN!

I replaced the Factory Dunlops with Yokohama AVID Touring tires. These have a treadwear warranty of 65,000. But they have only lasted a little more than half of that. My independent tire dealer is pro-rating the tires and taking care of the issue.

My question is- Are Sienna's known to eat tires like this? Are the Yoko AVIDs known to wear quickly?

I have searched the net, and while some folks allude to poor tire wear, lots of it seems to be suspension geometry issues. Just seems weird to me that the car has snacked on two sets of tires in 50,000 miles. I attributed the first set to the crappy OEM tires that the manufacturers use. But I honestly hoped to get 55-60K out of the replacement Yokohamas.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

Re: My Sienna Eats Tires??

Quote Originally Posted by wmshay6 View Post
    Are Sienna's known to eat tires like this?
    Yes, it's the nature of this particular beast to eat tires (and brakes). I've got 28,000 miles on our original tires and they're already down to the wear bars, and this is with 'grandpa style' driving. If you go on tirerack.com and search for user reviews of Sienna owners, just about every single tire review comments on short tire life. This is across MANY different brands of tires.

2008 Sienna LE. Salsa Red (Maybe the color is why it eats tires, don't know?). It's not AWD. Had it in for alignment in 7/11 and all measurements were in spec / no adjustments made.

The OEM tires lasted around 23,000. Now at 50,000 the replacement tires are at 2/32 AGAIN!

I replaced the Factory Dunlops with Yokohama AVID Touring tires. These have a treadwear warranty of 65,000. But they have only lasted a little more than half of that. My independent tire dealer is pro-rating the tires and taking care of the issue.

My question is- Are Sienna's known to eat tires like this? Are the Yoko AVIDs known to wear quickly?

I have searched the net, and while some folks allude to poor tire wear, lots of it seems to be suspension geometry issues. Just seems weird to me that the car has snacked on two sets of tires in 50,000 miles. I attributed the first set to the crappy OEM tires that the manufacturers use. But I honestly hoped to get 55-60K out of the replacement Yokohamas.
    wmshay6, Welcome to the tire eating club. Sienna are as heavy as mid-size SUV's but have S#$tty engineering on the 16" and 17" tires. I talked with discount tire the other day and they said no matter what the brand or Mileage warranty on the tire, expect to get half the mileage out of the tire. I had the Michelin X-Radial 80,000 mile tire and was at 2/32 in 40,000 miles. My 06 had\s a good alignment and I rotated tires every 5,000 miles. Also you will see extra wear on the outer edge of the front tires. Some people run higher air pressure and say that helps. I buy from Costco and they are spot on with pro-rating mileage for me.
    2006 Sienna LE,

I'm on my third set at 64K +. B'stones about 27K; GY Comfy Tread ( 1 set but 8 tires due to defects and punctures) about 30K before I got fed up with them. Good luck getting 80K wear out of these pigs... Pirelli P4s seem to be the best of the litter. About 7K on them and they are wearing well; no problems; quiet, ride best of all. Tire mileage is really dependent on your speed, braking, cornering and inflation. You need about 38F / 37R to get the best wear and ride.

Brakes? 64K+ an still on the original pads. So its how you drive that makes the difference, perhaps!
    Hill Country, Texas
    '04 Sienna LXE

Thanks for the input. Did front brakes at 40K and just replaced the rears, so the beast is hard on brakes too. I was surprised the rears needed to be replaced already- but the front pads didn't bother me since the van is heavy.

So I guess I just need to plan on buying tires every two years? My wife does impersonate an Andretti driver on occasion, I'm sure that doesn't help. BUt if I can get 70K out of the BF goodrich tires on my Titan (5700 lbs!), there should be something out there that will last on a Sienna.

We are on our third set of tires on our 2004, at 92,000 miles. The OEM tires did about 39,000 miles and we got about 45,000 out of our Yokohamas. The Yokohomas were pro-rated by Tire Rack (based upon photos) and we are now on a set Hankooks. We now religiously rotate the tires at every other oil change and it does seem to help. We also keep a close eye on the tire pressures. If it is any consolation, I "pushed" the rear tires on our BMW to 17,000 miles.....

Front brakes have been done twice, although the van has spent the last six years traveling at Autobahn speeds in Europe and it is a lot of mass to haul down from 90 MPHish. The rear brakes have been once.
    2012 Toyota Sienna Limited: Blizzard White over Grey with all OEM packages
    Sold: 2004 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited: Stratosphere Mica over Grey with all OEM packages
    2013 Honda Accord EX-L NAV V6: Modern Steel Metallic over Grey

Thanks for the input. Did front brakes at 40K and just replaced the rears, so the beast is hard on brakes too. I was surprised the rears needed to be replaced already- but the front pads didn't bother me since the van is heavy.

So I guess I just need to plan on buying tires every two years? My wife does impersonate an Andretti driver on occasion, I'm sure that doesn't help. BUt if I can get 70K out of the BF goodrich tires on my Titan (5700 lbs!), there should be something out there that will last on a Sienna.
    Perhaps... replace the tires. Copy the invoice, circle the price in red..... duct tape to dash. Sometimes things have to 'relate'..... more money on tires... less for shoes.... (You do it! I'd not dare! But then the XYL is a gentle driver....)
    Hill Country, Texas
    '04 Sienna LXE

I think the OP should get some tires with a treadwear warranty. Yes they are pro-rated, but if you're really getting 1/2 the life out of them, and taking the van in for regular rotations at the same shop, then a replacement set should cost you half, once the treadwear warranty is applied.

Keep your reciept and tire warranty information, as well as the ones from whenever the tires were rotated. And anything else the tire shop says you need to ba able to sucessfully claim your treadwear warranty.

same here...i am absolutely fastidious about tire rotation, alignment and tire pressure at 40psi. still eats tires like the beasts from district nine. same goes for brakes, as others have said.

Quote Originally Posted by rwcmick View Post
    same here...i am absolutely fastidious about tire rotation, alignment and tire pressure at 40psi. still eats tires like the beasts from district nine. same goes for brakes, as others have said.

At best you will get about 30K out of a set (+/-) regardless of brand. It's ridiculous to expect that a set of tires on a Sienna will get 50-80K miles. A pipe dream..... OTOH, even balancing and rotating tires on a Sienna may extend the life by maybe 5 or 10K. Warranty, or not, they just don't give fantastic wear. That being said, I'm looking at replacing the skins on my Camry Hybrid in 1012. At 30K miles they (B'stone Turanza EL-400?) have only about 6K (+/-) left in them. Not exceptional wear even on a light car that is not driven hard. I really don't think tire manufacturers design tires to make it to the wear out mileage.
    Hill Country, Texas
    '04 Sienna LXE

What about going one size up? An SUV tire? Will that help? Or is it just the nature of the beast?
    2007 Sienna LE Mirage Blue 102,000 miles
    1993 Camry LE 235,000 miles

Our first set of Run Flats lasted 12K miles. We complained to Toyota and the replaced them for free. After going through a few sets of Run Flats we decided to get regular tires and we bought a doughnut online that we keep in the trunk. We have about 20K miles on the non run flats. They won't last forever but at least they are cheaper than the run flats and a better ride.

Supporting Member

Yep. I have almost 40K on my 80K Michelin X-Radials and they need to be replaced. My Sienna eats tires worse than any car that I have ever owned.
    2008 Sienna XLE at ~52K
    1999 Chevrolet Silverado LS
    2004 Chevrolet Suburban

1999 Sienna CE until 147K

I put Michelin Harmony tires on my '05 LE AWD 30,000 miles ago.
    I have not measured the remaining tread, but they appear to be less than half-worn.

I travel a lot for work, carry a couple hundred pounds of stuff with me. I keep the tires at 40 psi and try to get them rotated every 10,000 miles or so.
    I also tow a bit, usually between 1500 and 2500 pounds, using a light weight-distributing hitch.

As always ... "Your mileage may vary."

I also installed Michelin Harmony Tires on our van 4 years ago. They were sold as an ideal tire made for minivan lifestyles! They were rated for 80k miles. The performance was great, but noisy. I wanted a quality tire that would support such a heavy vehicle and withstand 12 hour trips to the beach fully loaded. However, they only lasted about 45k miles!

Stu

17. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements