Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

New 2013 Sienna!!!

Tags
7K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  lucke 
#1 ·
Over the weekend we finally picked up our 2013 Sienna Ltd in Salsa Red Pearl with Bisque Interior. It came standard with the Blind Spot Monitor which I love, NAV, and rear entertainment system. Went with the FWD as I did not want to deal with the run flats and MPG penalty. The weather does not justify it either and I can always slap a set of winter tires on the front. Got just under 300 miles on her so far and she is getting 23.2 MPG which is pretty darn good for a vehicle this size. The van originaly had a gold pinstripe on it but I asked the dealer to remove it and they did with no questions asked.

Some items that I noticed -

The OM calls for 0w-20 oil....my highlander has the exact same engine but requires 10w-30. The thinner weight oil must be in there to squeak out a few extra MPG's.

The vehicle has a EDR (Event Data Recorder) installed (Black Box)...not sure if the previous models had one installed but I know every vehicle will have to have one soon.

The Blind Spot Monitor is excellent and very capable!! - Besides letting you know of objects in your blind spots, it also is capable of providing rear cross traffic alerts. This comes in very handy especialy if you are backing out of a busy parking lot and cannot see the oncoming vehicle. The indicator lights are nice and bright on both mirrors even in the glareing sun! The sensors used for the system are located behind the rear quater panels and partly behind the bumper cover in that area. The sensors are not visible as far as I can tell.

Rear view mirrors have changed - because of the addition of BSM, the turn signal indicators are no longer in the mirrors. They have been moved to the outside mirror housing.

Immediate mods -

Tint for the Driver/Passenger front windows and sun roofs...undecided about the other windows
All weather floor mats for front and rear. Will do weathertechs for the front undecided about brand for 2nd, 3rd and cargo area
OEM Chrome lower molding
HID's

See less See more
#2 ·
Quotation from a 2010 Tech Tip:
Starting with the 2010 model year, Toyota has begun a gradual transition to the use of synthetic 0w-20
viscosity engine oil. There are multiple benefits of this oil, including:
• Reduced friction and wear on engine surfaces
• Improved fuel economy
• Reduction in waste oil stream (in vehicles approved for 10,000 mile oil change intervals)
• Reduced maintenance cost (in vehicles approved for 10,000 mile oil change intervals)

On the use of winter tires - All 4 or not at all! You need the added grip in the rear during braking, otherwise the rear is more likely to break loose and try to lead! Not the way you'd want to come down a hill....

I'm pretty sure during the testimony on the gas pedal cases that all recent models retained at least the past 5 to 10 seconds of data prior to air bag deployment. Perhaps they have expanded that with a separate recording module?

#5 ·
Quotation from a 2010 Tech Tip:
Starting with the 2010 model year, Toyota has begun a gradual transition to the use of synthetic 0w-20
viscosity engine oil. There are multiple benefits of this oil, including:
• Reduced friction and wear on engine surfaces
• Improved fuel economy
• Reduction in waste oil stream (in vehicles approved for 10,000 mile oil change intervals)
• Reduced maintenance cost (in vehicles approved for 10,000 mile oil change intervals)

On the use of winter tires - All 4 or not at all! You need the added grip in the rear during braking, otherwise the rear is more likely to break loose and try to lead! Not the way you'd want to come down a hill....

I'm pretty sure during the testimony on the gas pedal cases that all recent models retained at least the past 5 to 10 seconds of data prior to air bag deployment. Perhaps they have expanded that with a separate recording module?
Thanks for the heads up on the winter tires...makes sense!

#8 ·
congrats on the 2013 LMD! Can you take a picture of the rear view mirror? I always want the mirror with signal on the outside cover. Hope this could be a potential mod as long as Toyota is not asking too much for the parts.

FYI, I just tinted my windows last Friday anticipating the heatwave here in SoCal. I did not know the rear windows are just a dye not a tint to block UV or heat until recently (I had a 2004 XLE for 8 years!). In any event, it was a day and night difference just for the past two days and I strongly recommended!

#9 ·
congrats on the 2013 LMD! Can you take a picture of the rear view mirror? I always want the mirror with signal on the outside cover. Hope this could be a potential mod as long as Toyota is not asking too much for the parts.

FYI, I just tinted my windows last Friday anticipating the heatwave here in SoCal. I did not know the rear windows are just a dye not a tint to block UV or heat until recently (I had a 2004 XLE for 8 years!). In any event, it was a day and night difference just for the past two days and I strongly recommended!
A good quality tint will keep the UV rays out and do an excellent job with the heat for sure! My son is pretty sensitive to direct sun beating on him in the backseat. The sun shades help but they do nothing for the heat and UV.

I'll get the pics posted soon!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.