Can I hold off on the tune up at 90K?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum General discussion forum for Toyota Sienna

Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Sienna.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Sienna Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can I hold off on the tune up at 90K?

Supporting Member

Can I hold off on the tune up at 90K?

I am at 95k on my 2000 Sienna LE. I will have my mechanic replace the water pump and timing belt on Wednesday. I am tight for cash. I was going to have it tuned up, but I was wondering if I can wait about 10K more miles until late spring. I drive about 20K a year.

I change the oil(synthetic) every 5k miles. Tranny fluid was changed to synthetic in early summer. I have replaced front and rear brakes already. That's been it for the repairs.

Your thoughts?

Thanks
    Rod
    2000 Sienna LE

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Re: Can I hold off on the tune up at 90K?

I'd say you can definitely hold off.
    What would the tune-up do anyways? You can probably change the air filter yourself. You've been changing all other fluids as required.
    I can't think of anything that would need immediate attention.
    Of course, if you take it to a dealer, they'll probably scare you into getting the tune-up done.
    2006 LE 8 Salsa Red
    87,xxx miles
    Michelin Defender Tires
    K&N Filter

Iridium spark plugs are supposed to be changed around 100k. It is a bear on the back 3 plugs. If your van is running smoothly, then you probably can go without a tune for a while, but I bet your gas mileage is begging to drop, a sign that a tune up is near.

K.

Supporting Member

Thanks for the replies.

I had the water pump and timing belt changed and outside belts as they were original. From everyone's advice I am going to wait another 10 to 15k to do the tune up.

Currently gas mileage is about 18 - 19 mpg around town mixed with some freeway driving. I bought it at 70K and the gas mileage has been the same since. A lot of town driving drops it into the 17 mpg range. A 200 mile trip recently had us pulling 22 to 23 mpg. I don't think I ran the A/C much on that trip.

The beast is amazing. I was pulling over 20 mpg with a 1500 lb tent trailer and 6 people in the van last summer. I love my Sienna.

Cheers.
    Rod
    2000 Sienna LE

Just a note on spark plugs.
    The Denso "Long Life", such as SK20R11 is rated "up to 120K miles" by Denso.
    This is the OE version of the plug (as installed by Toyota)
    The Denso "Power" such as IK20 is rated for 30K miles by Denso

The Power (IK20) is marketed as a high performance plug, but you will need to replace it much more often.....as per Denso (look in the FAQ section on the Denso website).
    You have to 'kind of' look for this information on the plug life.

I've read about MPG ratings for sienna's all over the map, but yours seem to be with the average mpg reports.

yea, she's a great car/bus/pickup/van!

K.

Supporting Member

Really at this point the only thing that needs to be changed is the spark plugs (they can wait)

HAPPY TRAILS
    2004 CE
    AIR LIFT '1000'
    OVERHEAD 'DEALER' DVD
    'HITCH CITY' 2' HITCH
    Support 'SIENNACHAT' HERE

I tried to get my plugs changed on my 2002 starting at 90,000 miles, and both times they did the other minor chores, and refused to change the plugs, claiming it wasn't due till 120,000 miles. Got my goat, because it's my car. At around 110,000 miles I told them i was going on a long trip and wouldn't be back in time, so they replaced them. Never any CEL; never any performance issues.

I get around 24 mpg at a steady 70mph, as long as I don't run into a head wind.

In Mexico, there is a long stretch in one weird state where a high speed highway has a speed limit of 50 mph. I have never been able to check the gas mileage at a steady 50 mph, because it doesn't use enough gas in that 100 miles or so to calculate by the gas gauge how much it used. I wouldn't be surprised if it got 28 or more at that low speed, but no way to find out.

Supporting Member

You can fill up just before (if possible) you reach that stretch and then fill up again immediately after that stretch (if possible). See how many gallons were used and then calculate your mpgs. Add in a small margin of error for the short distances to/from gas stations and the highway for the local street traffic.

YMMV.
    Good Luck!! 8)
    2004 XLE Ltd FWD Phantom Grey Pearl/Stone // 140K miles
    . Pod-Style Running Boards
    . OEM Hood Deflector (wimpy-version)
    . 'kmead/SeanY' Rear-Wiper Salute
    . 'mungpat' DIY Cabin Air Filter $$$-Saver
    . Michelin HydroEdge (ex-Yokohama TRZ) ... looking for replacements
    . Costco/Kirkland #9 battery
    . Longer front wipers
    . Britax Frontier 90

Yes, I am aware that one can do that, but after some thought I realized the amount used would not be enough to distinguish between 26 and 32 mpg. But, thanks for the suggestion.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements