Popping in front driver door when it opens and closes - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Popping in front driver door when it opens and closes

My 2006 Sienna xle with only 90k miles just started having a terrible popping noise when I open and/or close my drivers front door.
Does anyone know what the problem could be. I haven't taken it to my local toyota dealer yet. I was hoping I could find out
what the problem is before they look at it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 09:11 PM
Supporting Member

Re: Popping in front driver door when it opens and closes

I moved your question into a more popular section of the forum. Below is a thread (7 pages worth), but I'm sure members who've had this will tell all!

TSB: NV003-07 DOOR Check Popping NOISE

Current: '15 Sienna Limited Premium (FWD), '14 Subaru Outback, '13 Honda CRV AWD.

Past: '08 Sienna LE (FWD), '02 Subaru Outback, '02 Honda Odyssey EX
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 08:50 PM

Garage

Possibly the door trim getting hung and popping away from the door as it opens? Maybe check for loose trim.

2007 Sienna LE ** 2015 Sienna LE

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 11:33 AM

I found the problem to be broken welds around the door check pocket. Toyota had an extended warranty on this but they only extended it to 5-years or 100,000 miles. There is a video at [URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxKwZLGUAk4"] on one way to repair the problem. However, I repaired my 2004 Sienna by drilling out the broken weld and installing a 1/4 inch stainless steel self drilling screw (3/4 inch long). I was able to do this without taking the door off. I had previously taken the inside panel off and removed the door check in order to investigate the condition of the door check. This is when I found one of the four spot welds broken. I now know that you can check the welds without taking the inside door panel off by slipping a piece of rigid paper into the area of the spot weld. I made the repair today so I cannot guarantee whether the repair is a long term fix or whether the screw will prevent the other welds from breaking.

Update: After one month there is still no door popping. The screw is holding well.

Last edited by kirbyjf; 12-15-2016 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Update result of repair
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 05:59 AM

I did the fix on my 04 Sienna XLE, 250,000 miles (following the advice of smokey69 in post #73 of thread TSB: NV003-07 DOOR Check Popping NOISE) using a STEEL pop rivet. I purchased an Assortment pop rivet pack from Lowes which contained 1/8" (with 1/4" grip) steel pop rivets. I did not take the door panel off.
While holding the door open and putting slight pressure on the door, I drilled two 1/8" holes using a Dewalt impact drill (because it is shorter than my regular drill to get between the door and door jamb). Had to drill the hole at a slight upward angle because there is not enough room to hold the drill level. The first hole I drilled directly into the spot weld location and the other just to the left of the spot weld. Inserted the two 1/8" steel pop rivets (1/4 inch grip). Done! No more pop noise. I would have preferred to use the larger 3/16" pop rivets as smokey69 suggested but they were not sold at Lowes.

Last edited by Dawedler; 01-09-2017 at 09:08 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page