How far did you go on the original spark plugs? - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

How far did you go on the original spark plugs?

Dealer wants $500 for the job. Manual recommends change at 120K mi. Iridium plugs are known for really long life. Sienna runs great, good mpg, easy starts all well. Can I make it to 200K mi with little to no risk. What's your experience ? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 03:21 PM

Re: How far did you go on the original spark plugs?

My experience for what it is worth was I changed mine at 90,000 miles. For our family it took us 10 years or 120 months to reach 90,000 miles. I changed the plugs myself and while doing the plugs also changed the pcv valve and cleaned the throttle assembly. We noticed a much smother engine with more pep after the job. Also mpg returned to its peak level. My plugs probably could have gone much longer but even at 90,000 it was obvious it was affecting performance somewhat.

Another reason I changed these was preventative maintenance. This van is mainly for my wife and kids. We also take all our family trips in this vehicle. I am not wiling in our case to push the limit on the spark plug change interval and deal with an irate wife if the car has problems or to become stuck on a family vacation with a car that had a problem due to me not changing the plugs at the 120,000 mile or 120 month interval.

This job took me 5 hours. It is not a job I would want to do in a parking lot or on the side of the road. If you were on a trip and needed to go to the dealer or mechanic you could pay as much as $500 to get this job done. They would also want to keep your vehicle for the entire day if they could fit you in to their schedule.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 09:04 PM

Some report that by the time you get to 200K, the plugs have sort of bonded to the heads, and taking them out can, on a bad day, mean pulling the head to machine new threads in the aluminum head. I guess I would replace them, for that reason alone. People are almost religious about changing oil, but are lax and willing to take a chance on plugs. Not sure why.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 09:05 PM

I did mine (myself, also with PCV) at 120,000 miles as recommended. Don't delay. You risk more expensive components.

Excerpt below from: http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/208

Older vehicles were not computer-controlled and lacked the ability to adapt to changing conditions. The spark for the plugs was generated by mechanical or crude electrical means. Since the spark intensity was set and limited, engine performance decreased as the spark plug wore.
Today this is no longer a factor. An ignition spark is created by electronic means and can be increased as needed. As spark plugs wear the ignition can increase output to compensate. A computer-controlled engine will NOT experience degradation of mileage or performance as spark plugs wear. Instead of performance loss, worn spark plugs cause components like plug wires and coils to be overloaded and fail.

To prevent other much more expensive problems, spark plugs must be replaced when they wear out. The best guide is the manufacturer’s mileage recommendation, though these are sometimes at the extreme end of service. Not replacing spark plugs in time can result in damaging ignition coils and other components.

-----
2005 Sienna LE & 2012 Camry SE
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Ok You convinced me, thanks will get it done.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:34 AM

I've noticed in this forum people have posted instructions on the DIY for spark plug replacement for a 2006 Sienna. Does anyone have guidance on spark plug replacement on 3rd Generations 2010+ V6 3.5L? I've got a 2011 Sienna SE with just over 120K miles. For a couple of hours on a Saturday I'm willing to try and save myself $400 in labor for a spark plug replacement.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSienna11 View Post
I've noticed in this forum people have posted instructions on the DIY for spark plug replacement for a 2006 Sienna. Does anyone have guidance on spark plug replacement on 3rd Generations 2010+ V6 3.5L? I've got a 2011 Sienna SE with just over 120K miles. For a couple of hours on a Saturday I'm willing to try and save myself $400 in labor for a spark plug replacement.
I do not. Have you tried searching on YouTube? There is a lot of good stuff there and maybe some Gen 3 examples are there. Also, you might try looking for videos on the V6 Camrys. They might share the same engine, and could be pretty similar.

If it is like the Gen 2 Sienna, it is more than a couple hours though. I think it took me 4 or 6 hours. I don't remember anymore.

-----
2005 Sienna LE & 2012 Camry SE
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twjohnson View Post
Dealer wants $500 for the job. Manual recommends change at 120K mi. Iridium plugs are known for really long life. Sienna runs great, good mpg, easy starts all well. Can I make it to 200K mi with little to no risk. What's your experience ? Thanks.
i pulled one out to inspect at 113k. looked new. couldnt believe it. i did some research that indicated 300k on original plugs is not uncommon. im not going to bother checking until 150k
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 08:25 PM

Garage

You might want to replace the tube seals , the valve cover gaskets as well as the coil packs , at least those by the firewall side. You will need a new plenum gasket as well , called an air surge gasket. Just saying.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page