2009 Sienna brief tapping/clicking noise few mins after a cold start not piston slap - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

2009 Sienna brief tapping/clicking noise few mins after a cold start not piston slap

I am not sure how to start describing this but, Our 2009 Sienna has started doing a rather strange noise. It is not the piston slap noise you get from a cold start until engine warms which the 3.5 motors are known for. I noticed it yesterday since its been really cold here lately started shortly before church was over to let it warm back up. I went out a few minutes later as it was still running and we were fixing to leave church and heard a tapping I guess is a good description maybe almost like something was being flung around. I am not able to describe this very good. Happened again after it run for a while this morning a few minutes after a cold start. I have yet to be able to video it but, all I can tell you is does it just for a short few seconds after van has run for a few minutes on cold motor doesn't last long and isnt loud. To our knowledge this has just started at least yesterday was the first time we heard so don't know if it has done it prior to yesterday or not. That was the first time we had heard that not really bugging me too bad but, curious on some input. I know its really a hard thing to even have an answer for. All suggestions are welcome and again I am not talking about the piston slap 2gr-fe is known for. I am also not talking about the brief rattle some engines exhibit upon immediate startup. This is different almost sounds like something possibly loose however when engine is warm doesn't do this and sounds like it always has right on the door of 170 thousand miles. Hoping nothing major planning to trade here in a few months for one a little newer with less miles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page