vibration after rotor and pad change - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
vibration after rotor and pad change

06 LE 152k miles. Just did a front rotor and pad change. Also drums and shoes ...everything new. Now the van vibrates like hell over 60mph. No grinding noises . The van is going to costco for tire balancing tomorrow. Have you experienced this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:30 AM

Re: vibration after rotor and pad change

Something isn't on there right.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage

The car brakes well without issues. No vibration in brake pedal at all. I'll see what the balancing does and take it from there.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:35 PM

Interesting problem. I hope the tire balancing fixes this for you. Rotors and Drums also are usually balanced from the factory to keep vibration to a minimum.
Did you rotate the tires when you did the brake job? Just out of curiosity did you use a torque wrench to tighten the wheel nuts? I bet you had already checked to make sure they were all tight after your test drive to confirm the work. I am sure you would have mentioned any unusual tire wear.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:48 PM

Did you clean the wheel hub with a wire brush before mounting the new rotors?
A bit of rust/debris there will cause the new rotor and wheel to not sit straight.

2004 TOYOTA SIENNA LE AWD
2015 NISSAN PATHFINDER SL-TECH
2006 MAZDA 6 GT-V6
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage

The tire rotation and rebalancing did not solve the issue so shortly I will take things apart and investigate. I did torque all bolts to specs but will recheck . Report back soon. One more thing , I did notice the drivers side rear shock was sweating so I acquired two new oems. One of the new ones seem stiffer than the other so I am sending the soft one back. I am now considering replacing the front struts as well. Please keep in mind that I had no vibration issues before the brake job.

Last edited by paul r; 01-14-2017 at 10:47 PM.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage

I pulled things apart today. All mating surfaces were clean. I rebalanced tires again. No help. To reiterate , I can feel a slight vibration ( low frequency ) coming on at about 45 mph. The vibration picks up as speed increases , no steering shimmy . Above 65 mph the ENTIRE car vibrates , all this by just rotor , drums , pads and shoes change. Before all this , the car was smooth as silk. My next move is to try another set of rotors. Its a pity I tossed the old ones.
JOHNXYZ..tires are wearing well and I torqued all nuts and bolts to spec.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 06:08 PM

I had highway speed vibrations after doing some front end work. Turns out I knocked the alignment off just a tad. After all else had failed I paid a shop to do a front end alignment and the problem finally went away. You maybe in the same boat.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 06:31 PM

I have a couple suggestions if you haven't tried them:

1. Jack up the rear wheels one at a time, give the wheel a spin and check for dragging brakes.

2. Jack up the front and remove the wheels. Tighten the lug nuts down against the rotor snugly, but full torque is not needed. Use a spacer such as an oversize nut on the studs if necessary to compensate for the thickness of the wheel. With the transmission in neutral spin the rotor and check for out-of-true against the brake pads.

Does the vibration change if you apply the brakes above 65 mph? Also, if you shift to neutral?
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Optiker, great suggestions , will do when I return from out of town. At 70+ mph when the shaking is bad , i applied brakes...no change. I put the transmission in neutral to coast ...no change. i even put on another set of new front rotors...still had the vibration. I did a transmission mount test...seems fine. Im now thinking that I may have a defective tire (Michelins). A friend of mine is helping out for a solution so we are gonna rotate the spare around ( max speed 50mph) and see if I feel the "onset" of the vibration like I do now. Will post back.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage

I ordered a new set of drums , different brand,from Rockauto and installed them today. No more vibration! So now I'm returning the Centric Premiums that I installed previously . Covered under manufactures warranty.
Glad this ordeal is over!
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 05:58 PM

Hmmm... new rotors = vibration...

Glad to hear you figure it out. What brand did you get?

2004 TOYOTA SIENNA LE AWD
2015 NISSAN PATHFINDER SL-TECH
2006 MAZDA 6 GT-V6
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage

The initial drums causing the vibration were the centric premiums ( bad batch?) and the ones I replaced with were the dura internationals. I was beyond the thirty days for a monetary refund so I received a new set under warranty. I'm only worried that the new ones may be from the same batch . I will install and test run shortly. One thing I did notice was that the inner diameter of the duras was smaller as I had to readjust the shoes considerably. I will report back.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Well , the Centric drum replacements arrived and I put them on and had the same vibration. Above 65mph the car vibrated like hell. I sent them back to Rockauto and this time they will be giving me store credit.
For whatever reasons those centrics were not compatible with MY sienna.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 07:20 AM

Sometimes it's safer just to get the Toyota parts, especially for a service you won't be doing very often. I looked up your drums on Rockauto ... aftermarket run $30-60 each, and Toyota are $80 each.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page