04 xle limited awd coolant overheating - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

04 xle limited awd coolant overheating

Alright so I just bought a 04 XLE limited awd with 275k miles on the clock and I am getting some coolant overheating when I am stopped and at idle. I have a scanguage and can read coolant temp and on highway travel it is between 170-190 (seems pretty typical) but as soon as I stop or am in stop and go the temperature rises in a matter on 1-3 minutes. Today there was a accident and the car was stopped for a while and the temp gauge went to the 3/4ths mark and was 235 degrees.

I am not sure if it is the fans or not, when I start the vehicle they turn on but when I was driving in stop and go it sounded almost as if they wouldn't turn on (it was loudish) until I started moving forward but putting on the accelerator a little bit and would turn off as soon as I took it off.

Coolant level in the overflow tank seems just fine.

Coolant thermostat might be bad but I would think if it was bad it would overheat (or overcool depending if stuck open or closed).

Waterpump I believe is the original

Coolant last changed out 4 years ago and 120k miles ago.

Not really sure what is wrong? Thinking of draining radiator and flushing it and refilling to see if that helps. But the toyota coolant is expensive so id rather know for sure what the problem is!

Last edited by TheKracken; 03-20-2017 at 12:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:05 AM

Re: 04 xle limited awd coolant overheating

Sure sounds like the fans aren't running after a certain point. Or not running full speed. Or only 1 side is running. Take her for a test drive where you can quickly get out and pop the hood next time it happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2005 sienna xle limited, 230k miles
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:33 AM

You can verify the operation of the fans on your driveway. You mentioned that they turn ON when you start the engine, that should not happen if the engine is cold and the AC is OFF.
Start your engine cold and with the AC OFF, fans should be OFF. Wait for the engine to warm up (5 to 10 minutes) and you should see the fan (not sure if both but one for sure) turn ON for a minute or so, after that they should start cycling.

The other thing to look at is your coolant level, you could have air in the system even with a full reservoir. This also happens when you have a small leak or bad radiator cap. With the engine cold, remove the cap and fill the system, press the upper rad hose to remove any air bubbles. Park the van on a slope with the front facing down to facilitate removing the air.
If you need to add more than one quarter, I'd suspect you have a leak on the upper portion of your system.

I replaced my rad not too long ago due to a minor leak on the upper portion of one of the side tanks, it would never leak (not visible) but the refrigerant would evaporate through there leaving a muddy green stain. The reservoir was full but the system would slowly lose its fluid without pulling/replenishing from it.

2004 TOYOTA SIENNA LE AWD
2015 NISSAN PATHFINDER SL-TECH
2006 MAZDA 6 GT-V6

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies! I started the car to see if the fans worked when I got home, I didn'the let the cool down, I just turned it off, checked a few things then restarted and saw the fans on. I will try burping the radiator here in a few hours.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman1200 View Post
You can verify the operation of the fans on your driveway. You mentioned that they turn ON when you start the engine, that should not happen if the engine is cold and the AC is OFF.
Start your engine cold and with the AC OFF, fans should be OFF. Wait for the engine to warm up (5 to 10 minutes) and you should see the fan (not sure if both but one for sure) turn ON for a minute or so, after that they should start cycling.

The other thing to look at is your coolant level, you could have air in the system even with a full reservoir. This also happens when you have a small leak or bad radiator cap. With the engine cold, remove the cap and fill the system, press the upper rad hose to remove any air bubbles. Park the van on a slope with the front facing down to facilitate removing the air.
If you need to add more than one quarter, I'd suspect you have a leak on the upper portion of your system.

I replaced my rad not too long ago due to a minor leak on the upper portion of one of the side tanks, it would never leak (not visible) but the refrigerant would evaporate through there leaving a muddy green stain. The reservoir was full but the system would slowly lose its fluid without pulling/replenishing from it.

Started to burp the coolant and once the engine was up to temp it remained stable for a while, I had to add about 3 bottles of water during this process.

After a little while the temp started to slowly rise again and the cap was off with the fluid level still high with very little bubbling (sometimes it bubbles a little more, tiny ones). I looked under the vehicle and more toward the rear of the engine on both the left and right sides it looked like coolant leaking at a decent rate. I assumed the leak on the passenger side was the coolant coming out of where the radiator cap should be, but the drivers side I did not understand. I turned the engine off and was able to put about 1/10th of a watter bottle in again, but it looked like more than that on the ground. I think I might put the car on my ramps so I can get under and see better of where it is coming from...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:53 PM

Wait for it to dry, tighten the cap, start it again and check for leaks. If none are detected and the level goes low again in a few weeks, your rad cap might not be sealing properly.
The in-cabin heater radiator inlet/outlet seem to be located towards the driver's side (see attachment), so check there for leaks.

What about the fans?

I attached a couple files that can be helpful if you need to dig deeper.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf onvein40.pdf (24.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: pdf inspec40.pdf (30.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: pdf conponen.pdf (138.2 KB, 2 views)

2006 MAZDA 6 GT-V6
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:57 PM

This sounds like yet another case with the plate leaking, underneath the bypass hose (deep under all the intake)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2005 sienna xle limited, 230k miles
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman1200 View Post
Wait for it to dry, tighten the cap, start it again and check for leaks. If none are detected and the level goes low again in a few weeks, your rad cap might not be sealing properly.
The in-cabin heater radiator inlet/outlet seem to be located towards the driver's side (see attachment), so check there for leaks.

What about the fans?

I attached a couple files that can be helpful if you need to dig deeper.
Alright so I did tighten the cap and dry everything. After about 15-20 minutes there were still no leaks. The fans did not kick on at all. The coolant temp rose to about 202 degrees and fluctuated after that from 194-202.

I turned on the heating and the fan did kick on for maybe 20-30 seconds at a time and then turned off. I then turned it to the lowest temp and fan did same thing. With both the heat and the cooling, the car did not leak and the temps went down to 180-190's.

I would like to add that the first time I took off the radiator cap it was a little stuck and was kinda crusty.

Last edited by TheKracken; 03-20-2017 at 04:24 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:39 PM

Your fans are turning ON as designed.

INSPECT COOLING FAN OPERATION WHEN COOLANT TEMPERATURE IS 97C (207F) ABOVE
(a) Warm up the engine and turn the A/C switch OFF.
(b) Check that the cooling fan operates when coolant temperature is 97C (207F) above.
(c) Check that the cooling fan stops when coolant temperature is 95C (203F) below.

At this point I'd blame your overheating to the low coolant level. Long term, you still need to determine why it went low and why was there an air pocket in it. It could be that the previous owner let the reservoir go dry at some point.
It's good you didn't find any leaks so keep an eye for signs of corrosion around the top section of the rad tanks and you might want to get a new cap just to take it out of the equation.
Because you turn the heat ON after topping up the system, I'd repeat the process just in case there was air trapped in the heater core.
Drive it for a few days and see how it behaves.

2006 MAZDA 6 GT-V6
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 07:48 AM

With 275k on the clock I would guess a bad headgasket worse case scenario. Seems driving gets the engine hot enough to get your coolant temps toasty.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page