Actual Labor Hours? (Timing Belt) - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Actual Labor Hours? (Timing Belt)

I just called two different Toyota dealers for a price quote to do the Timing Belt on my wife's 2006 Sienna. One dealership gave me a price of $955.00 including the water pump replacement. Another dealership gave me a quote of $1101.00 incl. the water pump and all drive belts.

The one guy told me that this would be an all day job. What does that actually mean in labor hours? Does this job really take 8 hours to complete for the experienced mechanic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 02:50 PM

Re: Actual Labor Hours? (Timing Belt)

The thing is, and that's totally my opinion.
I needed to change my sparks. The dealer called me it would take 3-4 hours.
I told them i only pay for 3 hours. I know what needs to be done. In total they worked an all day job. This was 7hours. Brake rotors front and back were included. And they didn't finish in time either. They forgot to reconnect the feul regulator on the right near the firewall. (we don't have this on European cars).
So had to pick it up next day.
After some peoblems with my LPG system I thought it were the sparks. So i had to change them again after 15k miles. The front were still ok. The behind ones had endured more cause of the misfires I had. Replaced the Denso's with ngk lpg 7. I dissambled everything in 45minutes. And put it back together in 45minutes. And I am not experienced. Far from it.

Than it got me to thinking. If I do this in 45min. And they need double the hours as experienced mechanics. What they do differently than I do?

I know the timing belt is a labour intensive and secure job. This I wouldn't try myself. Because when something goes wrong. It's under warranty.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn A0001 met Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 04:27 PM
Supporting Member

In my area the posted labor rate is $115 / hour. So subtract the cost of the water pump, timing belt and gaskets, misc shop supplies, a gallon or two of premix coolant and tax, and it nets out to be a 6-7 hour job. Call it pretty much a full day.

One dealer is $150 more than the other, but they include replacing the belts as well? So let's call external belts a $50 item. They are still separated by $100. And I'll bet their flat rate manual shows changing belts is a 0.9 hour task, or about $100.

But they have the belts off anyway, so labor should be free, right?? True, but their clock-rate hours go by task, and you don't get a break on overlapping tasks unless you make a fuss about double-dipping.

Current: '15 Sienna Limited Premium (FWD), '14 Subaru Outback, '13 Honda CRV AWD.

Past: '08 Sienna LE (FWD), '02 Subaru Outback, '02 Honda Odyssey EX

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 06:40 AM

And I am complaining about 65 an hour...

Verstuurd vanaf mijn A0001 met Tapatalk
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks fibber2 for your response. Much appreciated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page