2006 Sienna tune-up - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

2006 Sienna tune-up

So, I have decided to do a major tune-up on my van. I have 133,000 miles on it and haven't really done to much to it. Here is what I have done so far.

- New front brakes / rotors
- PCV valve
- Spark plugs (I didn't take anything apart for the rear plugs. If you want to know how, let me know)
- Coolant flush
- Transmission oil change
- Oil / Filter change
- Cabin filter
- Air filter
- Rear shocks

Is there anything else that I should be doing? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 12:33 PM
jc
Devoted Member

Re: 2006 Sienna tune-up

Have you replaced the timing belt? The 2006 is the last year for the 3.3 L engine and timing belt.

I would also do the following:
(1) Drain the power steering fluid and replace that (can suck the fluid from the reservoir and replace.
(2) Clean the brake booster vacuum line with seafoam
(3) Clean the throttle body, throttle plate, and Idle Air Control valve.

Regards, JC.

1998 Sienna XLE Silver Spruce Metallic
Air Lift 1000's
Bridgestone Ecopia Summer/Bridgestone Blizzaks Winter
284,xxx kms - Sold... soon to be retired from Siennachat....
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I didn't even think about those things, but will get them done also.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 05:20 PM

Do you have to change the shocks? I am really interested in your spark plug change methods without taking apart windshield plugs.

thanks!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanwu View Post
Do you have to change the shocks? I am really interested in your spark plug change methods without taking apart windshield plugs.

thanks!
I don't know how often you have to change the shocks. My rear tires started to cup, so my mechanic suggested changing them to see if that corrected the issue. They have also never been done, so it's not a bad idea to just do them.

Here is the video for changing the rear spark plugs. I will tell you that it is a VERY tight fit, but it can be done. It took me about an hour to get them all done and I never had to take anything apart. The only thing that was in the way was the PCV valve, but I was changing that anyway.
[video=youtube;2m7J5Snf4jc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m7J5Snf4jc[/video]
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 03:15 PM

If your doing a drain and fill on the transmission fluid via the drain plug you only drained ~40% of the total. You will need to repeat that process a few more times to get most of it out.

Assume 9.5qt total capacity
1st drain gets about 3.5 qts of old fluid, ~63% of old fluid (~6 qts) remains in the tranny
2nd drain gets 3.5 qts but only ~2.2 qts is old fluid leaving ~40% old fluid in the tranny.
3rd drain..... you get the picture of diminishing returns doing a drain and fill via the tranny drain plug.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vckraft25 View Post
I don't know how often you have to change the shocks. My rear tires started to cup, so my mechanic suggested changing them to see if that corrected the issue. They have also never been done, so it's not a bad idea to just do them.
We changed our at 90k. The fronts are standard coilover struts so unless you hav a strut compressor, better to get a shop to do it. The rears you can probably do yourself. Fyi we had KYB installed ... a bit stiffer than stock but the car handles reasonably well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vckraft25 View Post
Here is the video for changing the rear spark plugs. I will tell you that it is a VERY tight fit, but it can be done. It took me about an hour to get them all done and I never had to take anything apart. The only thing that was in the way was the PCV valve, but I was changing that anyway.
Did you do this with a 3MZFE engine? If so, did you disconnect the top engine mount bracket on the drivers side to allow more engine movement?

Quote:
If you're doing a drain and fill on the transmission fluid via the drain plug you only drained ~40% of the total. You will need to repeat that process a few more times to get most of it out.
You might want to consider a full flush via the cooling exit line from the radiator. It's very easy to do, requires a total of 12 qts of the (very inexpensive) Type IV tranny fluid. DIYs in other threads about this ...

Tags
2006, tuneup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page