GPS Navigation, software, firmware update questions?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum General discussion forum for Toyota Sienna

Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Sienna.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Sienna Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GPS Navigation, software, firmware update questions?

GPS Navigation, software, firmware update questions?

I just purchased a new-to-me 2004 Sienna LXE Unlimited yesterday (09/25/12) with the in-dash GPS navigation system. The previous owner tells me the GPS data has never been updated. When I check the version in the menu, it states 03.1. I assume this is the original version that came with the vehicle. I want to update the GPS as it is obviously very old, and there have been many changes in my general area with regards to roadways. My questions are as follows:

1). What is the very latest GPS/map version that is available for my vehicle?

2). What exactly gets updated? Is it just the map data that gets updated (new roads/roadway changes)? Or does it actually update/upgrade the GPS software, as well?

3). Does the latest GPS updates change the view of the maps? The current view on my Sienna's navigation screen is a flat 2D view. I have grown very accustomed to the newer 3D views on late-model GPS devices and apps. Does the map view get updated, too?

4). Are there any software or firmware updates to the the navigation/entertainment system as a whole? The GUI looks very dated. Is there any way to update the OEM unit to a newer, fresher look with added features?

Thank you for any help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

Re: GPS Navigation, software, firmware update questions?

1. Your Sienna has a 3rd Gen DVD system and the current map version is 11.1 U06. Toyota part number as shown on disc: 464210-1850 PT219-GEN23-11

2. As far as I can tell, just the streets/routes/POIs, etc.

3. Sorry, you will only get a simple 2D view.

4. I've read that there "may be a firmware update" on many different Toyota/Lexus forums but I've never heard of anyone actually finding one and updating it.

EDITED TO ADD:
    I believe October is the month Toyota releases new map versions. Might be worth waiting a little longer.
    Last edited by Jerrys05XLE; 09-27-2012 at 10:34 AM.

Thanks for the reply, Jerry. I can certainly wait until October to see if Toyota releases a new update. Not that big of a deal. I have the Magellan Roadmate app on my iPod Touch 4G and the Dual GPS Cradle that holds the iPod, charges it, and provides the GPS chip/signal. So, I can continue using that if the older map data in my Sienna gives me any problems. I prefer the 3D view, the live traffic updates, and many of the other features that the Roadmate app provides. And I would be tempted to just use it in my Sienna instead of the in-dash Nav system. However, I would feel like an idiot driving around using a mobile GPS system when I have one built into the dash. Plus, the iPod would just take up more space and have more wires/cables hanging all over the place.

One thing I am considering and trying to do my research to see if this is even possible is connecting my iPod directly into the Nav system somehow. I'm looking for a way to mirror my iPod on the Nav screen. Since the Nav has a touchscreen, I would imagine it could display and control my iPod, at least in a limited capability. I found a site selling something called a mimicsX2 that supposedly mirrors your iOS device to the Nav screen. The YouTube video they showed looked pretty cool and did exactly what I want to do. However, I couldn't find any other good info on this mimicsX2 and whether it is actually available. If I could find a way to mirror my iOS device onto my Nav screen and run the audio through the JBL system, I would just use that and my Roadmate app and play all my music and everything using my iPod!

Has anyone else heard of this device or anything that would do what I want?

The mimicsX2 looks cool, but I just did some research on them and using it with an iOS device requires jailbreaking. Also, no clear indication on which OEM head units are compatible. You can purchase the touchscreen combo kit and replace the factory head unit, but then you would loose the radio/CD function. Seems like too much trouble to me. I'm going to keep an eye on this thread as I would also like to have a mirrored iPhone feature on my factory display. Good luck!

So, I remember doing research a while back and came across this company, VAIS Technology, that can do exactly what we want to do but with Android phones. I went back and watched this video:

In the comments section VAIS states that Apple doesn't allow mirroring, but you can get some apps to work. I called them up to confirm this and they said it still will not mirror with iOS.

It would appear that the October 2012 update has arrived. Version 12.1 is all over eBay from reputable sellers (some even Toyota/Lexus dealers). For the most part, $169 with free shipping.

8. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements