homelink garage door programming
NEWS

1. Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum – General discussion forum for Toyota Sienna

Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Sienna.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Sienna Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: homelink garage door programming

Supporting Member

homelink garage door programming

Here is how to program the garage door opener.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2004 CE
    AIR LIFT '1000'
    OVERHEAD 'DEALER' DVD
    'HITCH CITY' 2' HITCH
    Support 'SIENNACHAT' HERE

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

Re: homelink garage door programming

Thanks for posting that.

Just one addition for those with Genie rolling-code garage door openers.

I found that the minitransmitter (http://www.geniedoor.com/products/ge...ransmitter.htm) will not program the Homelink device. I tried for an hour without success (slow flashes never switched to fast). I used the original transmitter (http://www.geniedoor.com/products/ge...ntellicode.htm) and it worked the first time.

Supporting Member

Another tip for programming is that the actual garage door opener has to be almost touching the LCD.
    I had tried it when it was a few inches away and the programming failed. When I moved it less than an inch away from the LCD, it worked fine.
    2006 LE 8 Salsa Red
    87,xxx miles
    Michelin Defender Tires
    K&N Filter

Quote Originally Posted by sienna_doc
    Just one addition for those with Genie rolling-code garage door openers.

I found that the minitransmitter (http://www.geniedoor.com/products/ge...ransmitter.htm) will not program the Homelink device. I tried for an hour without success (slow flashes never switched to fast). I used the original transmitter (http://www.geniedoor.com/products/ge...ntellicode.htm) and it worked the first time.

Thanks! This was my problem in my 2011 LE. I was using a minitransmitter to program my homelink button, and it appeared to work (slow flash to rapid flash), but I could never pair my homelink button to the actual opener. After trying one of the larger transmitters hard-wired to one of my 12 volt sockets, i was able to re-program the button, and pair to the garage door opener on the first try.

Thanks!
    -Tim

Thanks you soooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)

I was programming it the wrong since my dad bought me an '00 Avalon last year

Now i got to wait till he drives the '04 Sienna home

Thanks again!

Supporting Member

I wish Toyota left the homelink buttons on the overhead console. The rearview mirror buttons are just out of reach for some drivers including my wife.

I "stole" these instructions from the odyclub

HomeLink Programming Instructions for Rolling Code Garage Door Opener
    Customer support number: 1-800-355-3515

NOTE: Some vehicles may require the ignition to be turned on or to the second (or"accessory") position for programming and/or operation of HomeLink. It is also recommended that a new battery be replaced in the hand held transmitter of the device being programmed to HomeLink for quicker training and accurate transmission of the radio frequency. Please use a ladder and do not stand on your vehicle during the programming steps for a rolling code opener.

Rolling Code Programming:

1. Press and hold the two outer HomeLink buttons until the indicator light begins to flash (after 20 seconds). Do not hold for longer than 30 seconds. Do not repeat this step to program additional HomeLink buttons.

2. Place the hand-held remote 1-3 inches from the HomeLink button you want to program.

3. Simultaneously, press and hold both the HomeLink and hand-held remote buttons. Do not release either button until step 4 has been completed. (If you reside in Canada, refer to the "NOTE" below.)

4. When the indicator light changes from a slow blink to a rapid flash, release both buttons.

5. At the garage door opener receiver (motorhead unit) in the garage, locate the"learn" or "smart" button (usually near where the hanging antenna wire is attached).

6. Press and release this "learn" or "smart" button. (The name of these buttons vary by manufacturer.) There are 30 seconds in which to initiate step 7.

7. Firmly press, hold for two seconds, and release the programmed HomeLink button. Do this procedure again and, depending on the make of your garage door opener, do this procedure a third time to complete the procedure.

The garage should now activate when the programmed HomeLink button is firmly pressed and released. If not, give us a call or refer to the "Troubleshooting Tips" noted below.

NOTE: If you reside in Canada, replace step three with the following:

Press and hold the desired HomeLink button and "cycle" the hand-held remote. To cycle: Press and release the hand-held remote button every two seconds until the indicator light changes from a slow blink to a rapid flash(step four).
    Troubleshooting Tips:

• Check the frequency of the garage door opener's hand-held remote (usually found on the back). HomeLink is compatible with radio-frequency devices operating between 288-399 Mhz.

• Put a brand new, store bought battery in the hand held remote. During the programming process (step three above) the battery's energy tends to drain (more so with an older battery). A new battery will increase the speed and accuracy in which the hand-held remote sends its signal to HomeLink.

• Retrain HomeLink holding the hand-held remote at different lengths and angles from the HomeLink button you are trying to program (during programming step three). Try 4-6 inches away at a different angle.

• Confirm that the HomeLink button you are trying to program is in the "programming mode". Press and hold the desired button. The indicator light will be a slow blink when HomeLink is in the "programming" mode and can be programmed at any time.

Verifying HomeLink has picked up a rolling code signal:

• Press and hold the programmed HomeLink button. If the indicator light blinks rapidly for two seconds and turns solid, HomeLink has successfully picked up the rolling code signal. If necessary, proceed with steps 5-7 noted above to complete the rolling code programming.

Supporting Member

My Honda Ody occasionally wipes out it's Homelink settings and needs to be reprogrammed. My Genie mini-remotes work fine with the Honda in the recommended 1"-3" range. To program the Sienna today, I had to press the remote against the button panel. Any further away and it wouldn't accept the signal.
    '08 Sienna LE (FWD) in Slate Metallic, '02 and '14 Subaru Outback wagons
    Sienna:
    Enabled DRL & VIP RS3200 Security
    Curt 13256 2” receiver hitch & Air Lift 1000 rear spring bags
    Fog lights, mud guards, & door sill protectors
    Avery ‘Touring’ custom grey carpet 3 piece floor mat set
    Continental Extreme Winter on Sport Edition F7 rims, TMPS & ATEQ reset tool
    8yr/125k $0 deductible Platinum warranty

Hello everyone,
    I hope this thread isn't dead.
    I have had tried all the tips listed in this thread but with no luck my Homelink does not want to cooperate.
    I just bought a certified used 2009 Sienna XLE yesterday and I have a Chamberlain Professional Master Formula 1 garage opener.
    I can erase the saved codes in it but when I try putting up the remote to the button its a constant blink and no change. I still have tried pressing the learn button on the garage door opener and all the steps involved but I am not getting anywhere.
    Is there a certian Freq. Homelink uses? The HZ listed on the remote of my garage door opener is 60.
    So is it:
    1. Something I am doing or missing?
    2. Is my garage door opener not compatible with this system?
    3. I haven't mentioned it yet but it looks as though someone has replaced the stock radio that I see in the manual with a Alpine CAD-105. Does Homelink operate someway through the stock stereo?
    4. Or something you guys can think of that I haven't mentioned?

I have put a call into the dealership but this is Sunday and I am having a feeling they are going to walk me through the manual instead.

Thanks in advance guys & gals,
    Scott

I JUST got a 2008 Sienna and I was having the same issues with a chamberlain. I ended up calling homelink support and the guy advised me to get another remote. I thought it was just a crappy excuse but he said that different controllers work at different frequencies. I went out to home depot and dropped $35 on a small chamberlain remote (which I will just return) and went home and got it to work on the 1st attempt.

1. Program the new remote
    2. Hold the remote and your homelink button until you get the rapid flash (about 5 seconds for me)
    3. Press the learn button on your garage opener
    4. Hold down homelink until you hear the click
    5. Hold down homelink 1 more time

Again I thought the remote thing was just crap but it’s not. Try a different remote!

Good luck!

Thanks for this information. I just bought a new Sienna and could not get its garage door button to program following the instructions in the Sienna manual, which did not call for step 2 above with rolling code openers. It was necessary, however, to get the rolling code opener to learn the new Sienna's button.

I recently got a 2013 Sienna. The first thing i try to do with this car is set up the homelink to my garage opener. I followed the instruction in the car manual but could not get it to work for the life of me for an hour. Only after reading this helpful and informative thread was i able to get it to work. The only thing i did wrong when i couldn't get it to work was after hitting the trainer button i only hit the homelink button once and then wait for the trainer button goes off and then i repeated the procedure again. What you're suppose to do is hit the trainer button and then hit the homelink button twice or three times in a roll before the 30 sec trainer button goes off all in one procedure.

I'll have to try this also. My 2009 didn't work so gave up 8 months ago. I'll post up if this works, i have a liftmaster opener.

My job is installing garage door openers. We mainly install Craftsman openers and keypads and sell to our customers universal craftsman remotes. Programming of Craftsman garage door openers and Craftsman remotes such as VISOR is usually easy: http://wnet.name/content/visor_compact_prog.html . But sometimes our customers ask us to program different built-in remotes, homelinks, of their cars - and that is usually problematic. Built-in remote controls "don't want" to work properly. We offers clients using universal craftsman remotes instead.

17. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements