Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

2015 XLE Premium Vibration Issue

35K views 46 replies 25 participants last post by  bidwell 
#1 ·
Love this vehicle! Upgraded from a Dodge Caravan that served me well for 7 years. But it was time.

Bought new and the issue I am having is a vibration that is felt at around 1600 to 2000 RPM and again at 2500 to 3000 RPM.

The vibration comes up through the steering column and you can also feel it in your feet. At higher RPM the vibration is not felt.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue with the 2015s ?

thanks.
Nitch

#6 ·
RPM depend vibration won't be solved with tire balance. Logically speaking its a rotating mass somewhere upstream of the drive axels. This rules out axels, wheel bearings, wheels, etc. I.e. it's something that rotates at the speed of the engine. I can't think of anything particularly easy to fix there. Engine internal balancing, transmission defects. Can't think of anything else, but then I am not a mechanic.
This drivetrain doesn't seem to suffer from engineering issues if this nature. My 13, which is essentially the same drivetrain is smooth at all rpms.

Have it looked at soon. And don't take "its normal" for and answer. Because it isn't.

#10 ·
Check tire pressure if it's over inflated it will cause vibration.
The vibration happens for about 1 to 2 seconds upon initial acceleration from a stop so tire pressure would not be the issue. This is almost if not completely off subject but I lined my doors, rear fender wells and rear lift gate with stinger road kill about 3 days ago and I no longer notice the vibration. I did this for the stereo but have this unexpected benefit.

#11 ·
Does anyone have any updates regarding their steering wheel vibration issues? I have a 2015 XLE, and began to notice steering and floorboard vibration after having the vehicle for several days. The vibration occurs just off idle (approx 1200rpm), as well as cruising speed (approx 2000rpm), regardless of vehicle speed. The 2000rpm vibration is more obvious under heavier loads (ascending hills). The vibration can be felt in the steering wheel, floor board (under left foot when driving). I also feel the seat and dash vibrating when I sit in the passenger seat around 2000rpm. I wouldn't consider it severe, but it definitely does not feel normal (I've owned and driven many V6 and V8 vehicles that didn't have this level of vibration), and it annoys me since it's a brand new vehicle. The drivetrain expert at the Toyota dealership said it was normal - I disagree. I submitted a ticket with Toyota customer service, and they claimed they have had no complaints. I did drive another new 2015, and noticed the 1200rpm vibration, but the 2000rpm vibration was virtually non-existent. At some point, I was planning to jack up the van and crawl around underneath to see if I had something grounding out on the frame that would transfer the vibration to the cab. I'm interested in any other feedback, especially from the folks that seem to be experiencing similar issues. The 2000rpm vibration is the most annoying, as you pass through this constantly as the vehicle shifts gears, and it's a very common cruising RPM, no matter the speed. Thanks for the help!

#13 ·
Well, you know.... my 2015 Sienna LE does exhibit vibration in the steering wheel at any time accelerating under load, e.g. starting from a stop, passing a car, etc. I have not noticed if a particular rpm is involved. The vibration is light but felt, steering wheel remains solid like a rock, no movement. Strangely, I happened to have my right hand, for some reason, on the center console, and could feel it vibrating also. Driver and passengers feel nothing in the seats and nothing in the feet on the floor. I have a feeling that this is one of those things that for some reason or other ( not quite up to par engine balancing, for example ) and is probably the nature of the beast and would have to live with it. Having said that, it only has 900 miles on it right now. I will continue to watch it carefully and see if it gets any worse and at the 5k maintenance, I will mention it to the service adviser and ask them to check out the underneath carefully. Other than that, I have no issues with the LE. Plenty of power, rides nicely, everything works... so far! jim

#14 ·
Has anyone experiencing the mild steering wheel vibrations learned anything new on the topic? I am also coming up on my 5k service, and intend to ask the dealer to look underneath for anything potentially grounding out the drivetrain to the frame. Again, the vibration that I feel is a high frequency vibration consistent with engine speed. I feel it predominantly around 2000 rpm............it doesn't bother my wife, but it irritates me given the fact that it's a brand new vehicle. I like everything else about the van........

#15 ·
Well, crownline1, since we are both going to watch the situation we can compare notes when we reach the 5k service. I'll insist that the dealer check the underneath carefully for any sign of anything loose, contacting where it shouldn't etc., and we'll see. My gut feeling is that this is the nature of the beast, even though NONE of my other minivans (all grand carvan with v6) exhibited this kind of vibration. Currently have about 1200 miles on the car, just got it in September, so it will be awhile. If you get there first, I would love to hear what your dealer did/had to say.
Jim

#17 ·
My brand new 15 SE has vibrations too. I am not sure if it's normal or not. The SE has about 3 hundred miles.

I can feel a vibration when it accelerates from a stop. once it passes 1100-1200 rpm, the vibration is gone. If I go easy on the gas paddle, the vibration is not noticeable.

I tried to put it in neutral and rev it slowly, and I can also feel a little vibration at around 1100-1200 rpm. When I hold it at 1100-1200 rpm, the vibration persists.

The neutral-revving vibration is not as big as the acceleration one.

Is it normal for any car to vibrate at acceleration?

Will the Vibrations go away after a couple thousands of miles?

#36 ·
I was reading some posts and your symptom describe is exactly how my 2015 XLE that was acting up around 600 miles.

Annoying specially when following traffic uphill between 5 to 10 mph dropping kids off to school feels like sitting on a cell phone with vibrator on. And embarrassing when van is packed with passengers going out and sharing the vibrations and rattles going up in the parking structure.
Dash, front seat, my coffee cup in the center console and floor buzz vibration when passing through 1150 rpm under a load.

I know when sun glass is in the glass holder too. With " Easy speak on medium " Sun glass rattles and microphone next to it picks up and amplifies to the rear speakers and adding additional noise going on already so I keep it off for good. Great design for finding sunglasses.

It was the transmission for me. Yes I just had transmission replaced at 5,000 miles for slipping and they replaced it with re-manufactured transmission but I am happy. Wow it drives much better and smoother than the one came from the factory.

Vibration at 1150 RPM is gone. Jump/kick shifting from Reverse to N is gone too for now. Maybe be back later ?

Started around 600 miles notice front end of the van makes short kick/punch when shifting from Reverse to N completely stop with brakes pressed.

Got worse overtime kicking harder and harder to feel kick/jump on the dash and floor because something is keep kicking in the transmission every time shifting Reverse to N going to Drive.

Around 2500 miles rarely but started to delay in acceleration and few times trying to pass up the traffic and RPM shoots up almost to red line making loud revving noise sucking up gas going no where.

Dealer said Toyota inspected and said 1150 RPM vibration & Kick/Jump shifting out of Reverse to N is " Normal characteristic of the vehicle " but after the re-manufacture transmission installed it is "Not normal characteristic" any more.

I don't feel anything shifting in and out Reverse to N just like the first day I drove home and no vibration at 1150 rpm for now. Yes for now.

Now I gotta deal with both slider door glass ticking around rolled down 3" cruising 20 to 25 mph.

Who said this is a swagger wagon ? I bought me a rattle wagon. : (

#18 ·
I can't feel a vibration, but there is a definite rattle at 1,200 RPM. It sounds like a loose heat shield on the exhaust manifold or maybe further downstream. The car has 7,700 miles on it. They checked the shields at 5,000 miles and said everything is fine. I live 40 miles from the dealer so I haven't made a special trip to address this. lease let me know if anyone has found a cause and solution. Thanks!

#19 ·
My 2015 XLE also had the tinny heat-shield rattle sound at 1100-1200 rpm. I mentioned it to the service dept when I went in for the 5K service and when I got the van back it was gone. It does not say on the service request what they did. Although I no longer hear a tinny vibration sound there is still definitely a slight vibration/groan when the engine speed passes through the 1100 rpm range.

#20 ·
Crownline1.... this is strange, one of those "go figure" things. I happened to notice, and I don't know why I did this, but today I grabbed the steering wheel with a really tight grip. Not pushing or pulling it but simply squeezing the wheel hard. Squeeze...no vibration, no squeeze vibration returns. Affects only the steering wheel, no other vibrations you might feel. That's really strange, I wonder if it is related to the type of material the steering wheel is made of. Doesn't solve the problem but is interesting! ???

jimgansett

#21 · (Edited)
Just bought my brand new Sienna LE 8 a couple of days ago. I notice that there is a slight vibration on the steeling wheel, floor and seat. Vibration will be getting worse while accelerating from a stop. and can't feel it while speed is higher than 80 KM/H. Looks same with kchen042's Sienna SE. I just have 400 KM on it . Will go to see the dealership for a inspection.

#24 ·
I filled up the gas tank with the Premium Grade yesterday and drove it to another city (75 KM from my home). I noticed that, in the parking lot, it was getting a little better than before. At the Idle speed ( around 675 RPM) , I can feel minor vibration only whey the radiator fan was running, otherwise, I can hardly feel it . But I still could feel vibration at 1250-1300 RPM when I accelerated the car from a stop. I also could feel vibration at 40-45 mph with 1250-1300 RMP. Currently I have about 700 KM on it. Had talked to a mechanic last Friday. He told me: " DO NOT CARE about those noise or vibration, just drive it as usual, you are in the break-in period and still under the warranty. If there is a problem, they will fix it or replace it with new part. And normally after the break-in period, you will find the engine and transmission run more quietly and smoothly." I think he might be right.

#28 · (Edited)
Update: I have my Sienna inspected by the Toyota Dealer today. No issues found. There is another Sienna in their Garage waiting for a replacement of back camera. It has 22 Km on it. So we have a chance to try that one, and it has the same vibration at 1250 -1300 RPM. The service manager said that it is normal for 2015 Sienna, most of them have the same vibration because of the structural reason.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.