Excessive outer wear on front tires - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Excessive outer wear on front tires

Anyone else has this issue. After replacing the original tires at 17K, our 2012 XLE is showing excessive wear on the outside of the front tires. The tread is fine starting just before the middle of the tire going towards the inside. Tires have always been rotated and the alignment is in spec.

Any one else seeing this on their vans. Looks like we have to budget for tires every 15-20 months /20K miles and that sucks

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 08:37 AM

Re: Excessive outer wear on front tires

Many people experience outer tire wear on their vans. I have experienced it myself and have read many comments on the Sienna chat forums from others experiencing it. In our case we checked tire pressure weekly, rotated tires at 5000 miles and go for yearly alignments. Had the suspension checked all okay - still had tires that wore out on the outer edges.
The sienna is a very heavy vehicle that will put a lot of stress on tires when cornering.
With tire wear there are almost too many variables too list. Some simple ones under your control are inflation pressure, tire rotation and alignment. It sounds like you are doing these. The quality of the tire, driving style, suspension component conditions, type of driving conditions also contribute to tire wear. In my case changing to a different tire brand and slightly over inflating my tires (38 psi ) has helped a little. I also have talked to my wife about turning the vans steering with the van not moving. She would actually leave tire marks on the driveway where she had scrubbed off part of the tire rubber when doing this.
If you type in outer tire wear in the search box at the top of the forum you will see may entries on this subject.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

This is what I am looking at. Its wife's daily drive and she is is a good driver, no hard turns, smooth accelaration etc. I have since researched this a bit and it seems this is a common issue on this Van . There are a bunch of tips including recommendation to keep the tires at 40psi - Front, 37psi- rear. I'll be switching these out very soon and will try some of the tips. Hopefully the replacements will last longer.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 07:24 AM

those tires are shot, regardless of the outside tire wear. my first set of tires lasted 30k miles.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 07:34 AM

Yes, they are shot, outer wear notwithstanding.
Is this an AWD van? Are those Run flats?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

No, its a FWD. These are Yoko Avid-s with approx 19K on them. Only the front one's show this sort of wear. The rear ones are fine. The tire is warranted for 60K but I dont think this will go even 1/3rd of that. Checked with my local tire shop and these are good for another 2K miles. I'll replace all four tires next month and then see how far the new ones go with all the tips on tire maintainance.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbihue View Post
Checked with my local tire shop and these are good for another 2K miles.
Just me, but I would not trust my family's life on those tires.
Rain would really put that vehicle at risk.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 07:04 PM

thats a sport tire, right? are you running stock wheels?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoduck View Post
thats a sport tire, right? are you running stock wheels?
Nope, regular Yoko's on stock wheels. We have been very happy with the tires except for the wear. These are rated at 740AA and warrantied for 75K miles but I am not sure if the spec is based on practical usage. This is my second set and I'll happily re-purchase these if someone can assure me that these will go 35-40K. Just dont want to be shopping again for tires every 18-24 months (we have < 10K annual mileage).

I have the H-rated ones... http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Speed+Rated%29

Last edited by sbihue; 04-12-2016 at 09:55 PM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 11:31 AM

I'm having the same issue. I had Michelin Defender tires on my 2010 FWD sienna which have a 90,000 rating. Outside was fully worn at just 38,000, which reading all these comments and other forums it seems like I'm lucky to have gone over 30k with them. Toyota dealer made me feel like an idiot claiming I wasn't doing enough rotating/alignment. They then did the alignment and it wasn't even very off. Sounds like it's just a common issue. We love our Sienna and this seems to be our only issue.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 07:47 AM

One suggestion is to drive more slowly around corners. Seriously. On such a big heavy vehicle, taking it a bit slower on corners will greatly reduce the wear and tear on the tires.

Another suggestion is to always make sure your tires are inflated to spec. Under inflated tires will wear more on the sides, especially when cornering.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 11:57 PM

Try this
Chalk heavily across front tires about a 6" patch & drive for about 30 feet straight!

Examine tire for wear

I suggest increase tire pressure cold to 40 lbs.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 06:04 PM

Garage

Raise the pressure up to around 40psi. I have gotten better wear with higher psi. I get yearly alignment checks and rotate the tires every 5000 miles. Goodluck.

The M8R Van
2011 Sienna LE 3.5L
8 Seat FWD
Ext Color: Predawn Grey Mica
Int Color: Ash Grey
Many Upgrades to come...

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

So after 5 months and approx 4200 miles later, I am encountering the exact same issue on brand new tires. Last week while checking the tire pressure I noticed that the outer edges on the fronts are again showing more wear than the center/inners. The new tires have been at 40-41 psi all along.

The new tires were balanced and the van aligned immediately there after. The alignment indicated that he fronts were marginally out of toe but Camber was in spec (see attached). The suspension looks good, no torn bushings etc.

Had them rotated today and will get the alignment checked again next week though really doubt if that is the case. At this point I am out of ideas except to keep contributing towards a perennial tire fund and keep throwing money on replacement tires every 18 months or so.

The Van is wife's daily drive and is not abused in any way. After getting the tires replaced, she is even gentle when turning at very low speeds.

I am out of ideas. Anything else I can try!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sienna_Algn.jpg (200.3 KB, 28 views)
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 01:01 PM

The outer wear is from the van having such a tight turning radius that doesn't stay fully aligned when fully turned to either side. It therefore puts pressure on the outside edge of the outside tire when in the turn. Doesn't have anything to do with 'cornering'. Usually happens when you're pulling in or out of parking spaces.

As was said, this has been brought up many times prior ever since Gen2 was introduced and it is very common.

This outer wear is what has caused many of us to fly through many sets of tires quickly. The way I helped elevate it some was by getting higher performance tires that could take up to 50psi. I monitor ours and keep it at 45psi. Only issue is that it has a much firmer ride at this setting but I get about 40-50k out of a set whereas 20-30 before.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page