Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

***cruise control stalk*** fix available!!!

18K views 39 replies 17 participants last post by  bikermiker 
#1 · (Edited)
Toyota just put out a TSB for the Cruise Control Stalk Flicker for the 2014-2016 Sienna.

T-SB-0026-16
Op Code for the fix is EL1600

with heated steering wheel Parts:
82998-0E010 & 82998-08020

Without heated steering wheel
82998-08010 & 82998-08030

3 year / 36,000 miles applies, whichever comes first from in-service date

Happy Motoring!!!

#9 ·
Wife' got her van back from the dealer and despite my including the TSB and part #'s in the appointment request, and speaking with the service agent about the issue (and referencing the TSB) she ended up not getting fixed. I told them not to schedule me until they have the parts so we only are in the shop once... Yep, now we are waiting for the parts and a new appointment.

#10 ·
It is such a new TSB that even the service advisors where I work knew nothing about it.
Parts should only take a day or two to get (depending on distribution center inventory of the items mentioned in the original post).

Since the Service Advisors do not have access to TIS, have them get a Technician to pull up the TSB.

Our Service Advisors are still telling customers that there is no fix yet....I'm trying to get them to get it right...

#11 · (Edited)
If they can get those parts quick went does it take a month to get a 12v socket for the rear. It came in, and I want called then it was sent back to Japan. A piece broke off inside. They would fix it for free. That was in January.

Got the 12v socket went in a week before service. N/c. Works great. Still waiting on cruise control stick fix. And the TSB on the oxygen sensor. Mine has gone bad. When it shorts it kills power to the traction control, and it says check AWD. Toyota noted it. They said O2 sensors available lay August. Still can't get one. 2015 I have.

Note there is the recall on the sliding door with no fix yet. We'll see. Speed the info to service he found the parts for the stock but couldn't get then yet??

It's winter want the traction control. AWD tires suck. Going for continental true contact non run flats.

#12 ·
Called my parts department before taking the car in... they ordered the parts under my name.. When I took the van in the service writer "said I don't think that lights up". LOL. So I showed him a video I made of it happening... and also I told him to write the TSB number in the notes for the vehicle. I also told him the parts to fix it were in stock under my name.

45minutes later... the van was fixed. No fuss.. and the problem has been solved and remain solved (that was 4 weeks ago).

Thanks everyone!

#13 ·
Just noticed my stalk flickering on the drive down to Florida. Stopped by the dealership today and asked whether they know about it. They said they are aware of the TSB and have the parts needed, so I set up an appointment at the end of the week.

Reactions: RedStage
#14 · (Edited)
Twinster that means I should be able to get those parts in my name as well I will try. Been waiting since last year.

Update: they had to investigate it again at a recent service. Identified it needed service and replaced the wire with the parts they ordered. Thanks to you I got this done. Just drove on the interstate at night no problems! Now just to get the door recall done two days long.

#19 ·
Just got my van back from the dealer for flickering cruise stalk repair. I tested it out in the dark garage and it seems like it's fixed. Looks like they were rushing because the top and bottom steering column cover does not line up after the tech put it back. Kind of dissapointed.

Sent from my HUAWEI ALE-L04 using Tapatalk

#34 ·
Dealer ordered the parts, service advisor said that he'll call me when they're in. I should've done what @omarq did and ordered the parts ahead of time :wink:

The notes on the report stated that the tech couldn't reproduce the issue but because I showed the service advisor the video I made they went ahead and filed the work under the TSB.

#35 · (Edited)
Update to my experience: thanks to the good advice from people in this thread especially @RedStage, the OP, I got this fixed with no roadblocks. Richard at DCH was very professional and issued a prompt fix. Under cause on my invoice it says refer to T-SB-0026-16 Op Code for the fix is EL1600. I got it done when I took my 2017 SE for its third service. I asked that the parts be ordered prior to my visit. Took two weeks cos of holidays and parts were on back order. Apart from the wait, I am very satisfied with Toyota service. Just have to test if it worked or not. Spoke to my tech about it and he said that it was a short to ground issue. They added extra ground.

#37 ·
I recently got mine done in November 2018 and recently that created a whole new problem for me. One day driving back home on the freeway on 65 mph cruise control, I noticed the cruise control was basically hanging off the steering wheel. See video.
It looks like you have one or two screws loose! Seriously. You might be able to tighten them if you don't want to expend the time to take your Sienna to a Toyota dealership to have it fixed.

The current generation Sienna is the last that will have the little cruise control stalk. All the new generation Toyota (RAV4, Camry, Avalon) and Lexus (LS, UX) models have the cruise control on the right side steering wheel spoke with the following distance interval and lane departure warning/steering assist buttons just to the left on the same spoke.

I thought the Toyota stalk cruise control was the best I've experienced but I found last month that the revised cruise control on the 2019 Camry we rented was just as easy to use.

#39 ·
I consider my self a reasonably competent shade tree mechanic and I don't consider this repair to be "dead simple".

Here's a link to the TSB that I found by googling the TSB number shown in post #1 of this thread: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/SB-10092681-5448.pdf

The TSB shows the needed part numbers which were also shown in post #1. Googling the part numbers should provide you with online sources.

You might want to review the TSB before you start to verify that you have all the needed tools ... Torx drivers, ohm meter, etc.

Many dealerships are now doing contactless vehicle service if they previously weren't. The Toyota dealership we use most will pick up and deliver our vehicles from/to our driveway and process payments by phone and email.

Or wait until the COVID-19 situation settles down more and then take your Sienna to a dealership since this isn't a critical repair. The vaccination dam seems to have broken where we live. I'm scheduled to get my first one today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.