Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

Leak between transfer case and tailshaft housing on Sienna 2012 AWD

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  fibber2 
#1 ·
Please forgive me if my description of this problem isn't totally accurate (I'm definitely not a mechanic). I have a mechanic friend who's working on a leak between the transfer case and the tailshaft housing on my Sienna 2012 XLE AWD. He addressed this leak about two months ago with Permatex (since he was having a difficult time determining whether there was supposed to be a gasket at this location or simply a Permatex seal). Even calls to two different Toyota dealers didn't provide a clear answer. The leak seemed to be taken care of with the Permatex but soon after I started putting some serious highway miles on the van (50 to 75 a day), it seemed to have started leaking again. Does anyone know anything about the connection between these two parts (the two parts are held together by four bolts according to him)? Once again, please forgive me if my description of this problem isn't totally accurate. A little may have been lost in the translation between my mechanic friend and myself.

THANKS.

#2 ·
You did fine.

The whole thing looks to be part #36100-48051, and sells for around $2200 new, $400 and up from recyclers.

Try this link....... http://parts.villagetoyota.com/show...9382&ukey_driveLine=6151&ukey_trimLevel=14175

I don't see a gasket called out between the input shaft section and the main differential section, so your mechanic might be right - Permatex or some other liquid gasket. Make sure the vent is open. I've heard of leaks caused by pressure buildup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.