2015 SE Premium Tire Wear and Alignment Problem - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

2015 SE Premium Tire Wear and Alignment Problem

Bought the van new last January (2015). Have had no problems until the last few weeks. 32,800miles today. Brought the van to a tire shop today to replace a tire I had patched a few weeks ago because yesterday it was losing air again. This morning when I went to check it before driving to the shop I noticed the inside edge had some splitting - this is the left rear tire. Once I got to the tire shop they showed me that all four tires had splitting damage, left and rear were the worst. Alignment showed the front had both wheels with excessive toe out, and the left rear was toed out. They corrected the front (which seems to have solved the newly formed vibration and pulling to the right issue), but the rear is not adjustable with the twisting beam design.

I've seen lots of people with alignment and wear issues, but has anyone else seen it this severe? I have two other friends with 2011+ Siennas (non-SE) who have not had this problem. I'm trying to talk to Toyota to see what they say the tire wear could be caused from. It's difficult to say if this is caused by the rear camber or by the toe out. I'd like to know how they would repair the rear toe issue if I were to pay a dealership to correct the alignment. I also want to keep this issue from happening again. I don't necessarily mind replacing tires every 35-40k as they aren't terribly expensive, but I don't like having such abnormal wear that fails tire prematurely with relatively little warning. For now I have a new set of Firestone Destination LEs.

I really hate that the rest of the tire looks so good except for the very inside edge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2382.JPG (719.7 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2383.JPG (607.2 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2385.JPG (638.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2386.JPG (515.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2387.JPG (454.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2388.JPG (611.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2384.JPG (668.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2391.JPG (619.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2394.JPG (637.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2392.JPG (625.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2393.JPG (471.7 KB, 40 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 09:09 PM

Re: 2015 SE Premium Tire Wear and Alignment Problem

Very strange failures. Were the original tires (the ones that split) also Firestone?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by royc View Post
Very strange failures. Were the original tires (the ones that split) also Firestone?
No. They were Dunlop something or anothers from the factory.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 03:18 PM

The Siennas rear setup can cause wear on the inside of the tire but I haven't seen anything like that especially that first picture. I'm surprised you didn't have a blowout. The tire shop was right that there is very little, if any adjustment you can make to the rear. But there seems to be something else going on to cause that type of wear.

In the meantime, check the internet on the Dunlop Tires. There may be others who are having troubles with this tire.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 09:14 PM
Devoted Member

Looks like the tire was under inflated. Scary pictures though. Did you rotate your tires regularly?

MODS:
*** 5 min horn mod [HERE] *** Glovebox lighting mod [HERE] *** 2011-2014 LED Turn Signal Mirrors [HERE]
*** OEM Shark Antenna Mod [HERE]
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 10:09 PM

I'd say you are lucky this was caught in time. I had the exact same issue with the Yoko's but the wear was on the on the outer edge of my front tires only and it wasn't this bad. It seems Sienna's are known to eat tires and the best way to prevent it is to slightly overinflate and rotate religiously every 5k miles.

I recently replaced mine even though the tire manufacturer recommends 37psi vs 36 from Toyota, I am running them at 39-40 psi cold. So far no issues. Once you replace yours, keep a close watch, after all these are the first line of defense.

For rear alignment there is an aftermarket shim kit. Search the forum and you should be able to find it

Last edited by sbihue; 09-14-2016 at 10:12 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbihue View Post
I'd say you are lucky this was caught in time. I had the exact same issue with the Yoko's but the wear was on the on the outer edge of my front tires only and it wasn't this bad. It seems Sienna's are known to eat tires and the best way to prevent it is to slightly overinflate and rotate religiously every 5k miles.

I recently replaced mine even though the tire manufacturer recommends 37psi vs 36 from Toyota, I am running them at 39-40 psi cold. So far no issues. Once you replace yours, keep a close watch, after all these are the first line of defense.

For rear alignment there is an aftermarket shim kit. Search the forum and you should be able to find it
I went to a American tire dealer (manager) told me he inflates to 45lbs as these Sienna's are very heavy and are under inflated at 36-37 lbs.

I have gone to 41 and my outside edges on front and rear are not as sharp,
Waiting to see in another 10M miles.
Also, there was an article about the 235 x 55 x 18 tires instead of the Mfg tire of 235 x 50 x 18 are cheaper!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 03:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoPlaces View Post
Looks like the tire was under inflated. Scary pictures though. Did you rotate your tires regularly?
I do rotate every 10k to match up with oil changes. I rotate all my vehicles at oil changes. Didn't figure tire rotation would be my limiting factor on maintenance, but I guess I need to reassess.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 03:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. I'm thinking this had to have had a lot to do with inflation combined with the rear camber spec and front toe being out. Front is corrected, and I'm keeping pressure at 40psi minimum.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 01:59 PM

Tire rotation is 5,000 miles. If you have free lifetime rotation and balance with your new tires, I would consider rotating more frequently.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 11:00 AM
Devoted Member

Did my inspection of the tires for my 15 SE and the inside and outside are wearing off quicker than the middle for both the fronts and the rears before rotating it today. I got Dunlop's on mine. My opinion is that manufacturers suggested tire pressure for the SE's is under inflated. Instructed guys at discount tire to put 40 psi for the fronts and 38 psi for the rears. I'll see what happens on my next tire rotation. The van is a weekender so it may take me a while for my next rotation. Will keep you posted.

I would suggested to those SE owners to keep an eye on their tires and inspect it regularly.

MODS:
*** 5 min horn mod [HERE] *** Glovebox lighting mod [HERE] *** 2011-2014 LED Turn Signal Mirrors [HERE]
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoPlaces View Post
Did my inspection of the tires for my 15 SE and the inside and outside are wearing off quicker than the middle for both the fronts and the rears before rotating it today. I got Dunlop's on mine. My opinion is that manufacturers suggested tire pressure for the SE's is under inflated. Instructed guys at discount tire to put 40 psi for the fronts and 38 psi for the rears. I'll see what happens on my next tire rotation. The van is a weekender so it may take me a while for my next rotation. Will keep you posted.

I would suggested to those SE owners to keep an eye on their tires and inspect it regularly.
I think you are correct. And I now believe in checking alignment every 10-15k just to make sure it's not moving.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 10:35 PM

Well I put 41 lbs in the Dunlap tires 30 days ago an2 tires had reduced to 36 1 @ 40 & 1 @ 38.

Out side wear is better, car is very heavy
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 12:10 PM

It's not the "heaviness" of the vehicle that is the problem. There are much heavier vehicles on the road that do not have this issue. It's the setup of the rear suspension and the "nose heavy" nature of minivans. Toyota has designed the rear suspension setup for ride comfort. The downside is the tires tend to wear more on the inside. To get the most out of these tires, you have to rotate the tires every 5,000 miles. Even 10k mile rotations are too long. Yes, alignment checks help but there is very little if any adjustments that can be made to the rear setup.

Putting your tire pressure up to 40 psi on an SE? That ride has to be punishing. When the tires are warm, the psi is likely 43-44. If you have an LE or XLE, consider H-rated tires instead of T-rated (My 2013 XLE calls for T-rated tires which surprised me). The H-rated tires have slightly stiffer sidewalls and may hold up better. Just a thought.

I was happy I got 33K out of the OEM tires. We did have wear on the inside of the tires, not as bad as the OP. I also had an alignment done by Toyota before the new tires were installed. I put Cooper CS5 Grand Touring. I really like this tire: very quiet, good grip and great price. We keep the pressure at 35 psi. I'll report back on the wear of these tires since this seems like a common issue with Siennas.

Good luck everyone.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 09:37 AM
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownfb View Post
Putting your tire pressure up to 40 psi on an SE? That ride has to be punishing. When the tires are warm, the psi is likely 43-44. If you have an LE or XLE, consider H-rated tires instead of T-rated (My 2013 XLE calls for T-rated tires which surprised me). The H-rated tires have slightly stiffer sidewalls and may hold up better. Just a thought.
If your tires are worn out on the inside and outside, you have to increase tire pressure to wear out the middle until it evens out with the inside or outside and adjust tire pressure. Do you have the SE or XLE? The SE's are lowered and will never have the same tire wear with the XLE's because of the suspension's set up causing increase toe in possibilities of the wheel and tire. At 40 psi for the front, the ride is not punishing and is dependent with regional road conditions. We live in the south and the roads are much better than the northern states. Thanks for the "T" and "H" rated tire suggestion. Did not even know that.

MODS:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page