Multiple Headlight Replacements - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Multiple Headlight Replacements

I have a 2011 Sienna LE and went a good four years without replacing the headlights. In the last 4 months, I've replaced both low beams twice. I'm stumped. The bulbs are quality Sylvania bulbs; so I'm wondering if I've got an electrical issue? Anyone else run into a problem like this? Thx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:07 AM
Supporting Member

Re: Multiple Headlight Replacements

You can have a bad run of bulbs, so maybe try a different brand as a test. Auto headlamps can also be an issue on cold starts, as it tends to make the lights 'flash' which is hard on a cold filament. Maybe just turn them off in the winter, and back on after the engine is running.

I had a bad alternator / regulator on my old Subaru and it toasted headlamp bulbs. Check the battery with the engine running and make sure it doesn't head over 15v when the battery is fully charged.

Current: '15 Sienna Limited Premium (FWD), '14 Subaru Outback, '13 Honda CRV AWD.

Past: '08 Sienna LE (FWD), '02 Subaru Outback, '02 Honda Odyssey EX
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:17 AM

In my experience, when one goes the other many times fails within a month or two. Don't know why but I believe it could be because the change in the circuit's resistance due to the burnt bulb affects the good one, but I'm no expert.

Did you touch the glass of the new ones with your bare hands when installing them? I've heard that residue/grease on the glass can shorten the life of the bulb.

2004 LE AWD

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:33 PM
Devoted Member

I was going to say the same thing, wear some gloves and avoid touching the glass of the bulb with your bare hands, grease/oil residuals left on bulbs will shorten life of bulb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page