Potential Sienna Owner - Need Advice! - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By tigmd99

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
jpa

Potential Sienna Owner - Need Advice!

Greetings! A growing family requires a minivan purchase and I already own a 4Runner. I'm a big Toyota fan so I'm looking at Siennas. Our budget puts us in a 2012 or 2013 and I was wondering how those years stacked up to the test of time.

Any significant transmission / engine issues?
Gotchas for each year?

I do alot of my own maintenance, so a little dirty work doesn't scare me.

Don't really know what to expect so I figured I'd come to a board and see what I could learn!

Anything will help so thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 05:31 PM

Re: Potential Sienna Owner - Need Advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpa View Post
Greetings! A growing family requires a minivan purchase and I already own a 4Runner. I'm a big Toyota fan so I'm looking at Siennas. Our budget puts us in a 2012 or 2013 and I was wondering how those years stacked up to the test of time.

Any significant transmission / engine issues?
Gotchas for each year?

I do alot of my own maintenance, so a little dirty work doesn't scare me.

Don't really know what to expect so I figured I'd come to a board and see what I could learn!

Anything will help so thanks!
Can you stretch your dollar for a 2015 model? 2015 - up models are significantly quieter and rides/handles better. With more welding spots, it will likely hold up better over time (less body flex and rattles).

2017 Sienna Limited Premium Silver/Chestnut
2015 Acura MDX SH-AWD with TECH
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
jpa

Unfortunately not. Might could get creative but really can't afford anything over 17k.

With that said - could I go wrong with a 2012 or 2013? Sounds like you're highlighting, though, some sore spots among those model year owners.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:59 PM

I have a 2012 base Sienna that I bought new. During the first year I had to chase down and eliminate some rattles. I've had no other problems with the van after nearly 5 years and 42,000 miles. It also has amazingly great fuel economy for such a large vehicle. If you can find a 2012 with fairly low mileage and a good maintenance record, I think you'll have reliable transportation.

However, I'm not a fan of the power sliding doors. They are a nice convenience when they work properly, but I see a fair number of owners here on siennachat.com that have had problems with them. Repairing them is sometimes very expensive. That was one of the reasons I bought the base model. It only has manual sliding doors.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 10:37 AM

Love my '13 XLE, no issues in 40K miles.
None.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately not. Might could get creative but really can't afford anything over 17k.

With that said - could I go wrong with a 2012 or 2013? Sounds like you're highlighting, though, some sore spots among those model year owners.
Definitely, 2010-1014 are great minivans...best in class...what other choice do you have? Odyssey is a one-transmission away from stranding you and their VCM is just a nightmare. And if you search Youtube, Odyssey is will known for frame flex and mis-aligned doors. Town and Country is a joke.
salcuta88 likes this.

2017 Sienna Limited Premium Silver/Chestnut
2015 Acura MDX SH-AWD with TECH
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
jpa

Well boys, we just got a 2012 XLE w/ 79k on the clock, will pick it up in a week or so. We are excited and so is my wife! Thanks for all the feedback and I'll be back perusing the posts in the very near future.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Well boys, we just got a 2012 XLE w/ 79k on the clock, will pick it up in a week or so. We are excited and so is my wife! Thanks for all the feedback and I'll be back perusing the posts in the very near future.
Update?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
jpa

UPDATE - Sorry for the late reply.

We got a 2012 XLE with most all of the "trimmings" and 79k miles. Was dealer-maintained for the majority of its life and had the alternator replaced early on (w/ the pulley).

The only thing I need to do is replace the passenger side CV axle (boot has a tear). I just replaced the front rotors/pads and the belt weather strip on the driver's side. And...replaced the antenna "ornament" which is just the rubber "fitting" that keeps rain from leaking down the antenna into the engine compartment. I"m a little surprised that the antenna isn't in the rear window like it is on my 04 4Runner. I bought a factory jumper kit that will help me determine when my transmission fluid it at the optimum temperature for checking the level. Already changed the oil and will have a short OCI for this first one. The sliding doors work , and the paint has been well-maintained (probably garage-kept).

It is a hit w/ the entire family.

Its a great vehicle; however, I am still learning about it. This is a GREAT forum for the DIY'er.

If anyone is interested in that jumper kit, I'll find a link to it and post it here.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 11:31 AM

2013 XLE with 54k miles. Only issue was a warped rotor at 33k miles which Toyota replaced under warranty. The 2013 added some options to each level so a 2013 will have more standard equipment than the same trim level 2012. That may not matter to you.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 12:36 PM

whats the factory jumper kit? Does it bypass the trans temp sensor? I would be more interested in this
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
jpa

OBD-II Connector Jumper https://toyota.service-solutions.com...151&p=1002&g=0

I'll take a photo of mine tonight and post. I know one jumper is to use when you need to check your transmission fluid at the proper temperature. That's what I mainly got it for...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page