XLE run flat tires wearing on inside edge - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By lipster

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

XLE run flat tires wearing on inside edge

I have the run flat tires on my van. About a year ago I hit a pothole and started getting bad inside wear on the left front tire after that.

I changed out the tire and got a new alignment.

my Sienna now also has a noticeable resistance change in the steering wheel on uneven road conditions. Something has changed in the electric steering system.

I took it to Toyota and they said nothing was wrong with my steering and my tire wear was because of under inflation. Well it was cold when I turned the Van over to them and they worked on it the next day so the tires were not warmed up. They checked alignment and rotated the tires.

I have watched the tire pressures since that gave my van back to me and they rotated the tires.

The front tires both continue to wear on the inside edges and scalloping as well.

If this is not alignment casued, it must be due to the steering issue.

I took the van to a local tire store and they agreed with me that the wear must be due to the steering if the alignment is good.

Anyone else seen this or have information regarding this?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 09:55 AM

Re: XLE run flat tires wearing on inside edge

How many miles are on these run flat tires?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

24,000 miles

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 08:08 AM

24k is about all you can expect on run flats. Many of us have gone to regular tires. Many threads on this. Cheaper, better traction, better ride, much longer life.
ie, I don't think it is your alignment, but your tires have reached the end of their life.
Oh, and now for the good news: You have to replace all four at once.
graure likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

Isn't this just peachy. Thanks for your reply lipster.

Now to see which regular tires I can go to. I suppose I can keep a flat repair kit on board consisting of an air compressor, a can of flat repair and a pack of the tar coated repair cords that I have successfully used in the past.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:31 AM

Search the site for more on this.
I bought a compact spare and a nylon bag to keep it in, with a handle on it.
I don't carry it around town, but put it in there on trips.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:45 AM

This was the same situation I had on our 2011 XLE AWD. We had the inside wear going on along with excessive wear in general. I complained to the service Mgr at 22,000 miles on our first set. He looked them over and stated, that wasn't bad mileage at all for RF tires. I didn't like hearing that as these were my first ever set of RFT. He then said they have actually gotten better in that earlier versions would only get 15k miles before needing to be replaced. Again, I was upset.

So after reading about regular tires and a spare on this site, I was ready to make the switch. But it was my wife's car that she drove everyday to work. And she wanted the piece of mind of the RFT. So I was getting ready to bite the bullet and get 4 new ones. I couldn't believe the prices. It turned out the cheapest price was going through the dealer as they had a buy 3 get 4th for a dollar deal, which beat all online prices.

Now comes the fun part. As luck would have it, the recall came out. For those who don't remember, they had the recall on the amount of weight that size tire could hold that was inaccurately specified from the beginning. The idea being the profile was too tall, and when too much weight was put in MV, the wheel wells would scrape the tires, etc.. So I was to get an updated sticker on the door, and they would inspect the tires. Anyway, long story short, I told the service mgr. we should get new tires. He said they would replace them with the lower profile tires, but they were not run flats. I was ok with that, but my wife said no. Again, she needed the piece of mind, etc, etc.. And like the old saying goes, happy wife happy life. So off I go to locate a person with the power to make this decision. I located a nice man, can't remember his name, in their corporate offices in California. After complaining to him in about 12 separate conversations, he agreed to reimburse me for 4 new RFT and all the labor to mount/balance and the alignment.😀

This last set has done much better. I rotated them a bit earlier than suggested along with one 4 wheel alignment. I have 34,500 miles on this set. They are just about at the end of their lives. I wanted to wait and change them this spring. Luckily, the winter here in DC was mild, so we dodged that bullet. Now, I'll be looking on this chat soon to determine which regular tires I should get. This is a great forum. Take care all.

2011 Sienna XLE AWD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page