Intermediate Steering Shaft issue on 3rd Gen - Page 2 - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 03:30 AM

Garage
Re: Intermediate Steering Shaft issue on 3rd Gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs3tek View Post
You don't have a smart Service Advisor.

Either ask for another one or go to Elmore toyota here on Beach Blvd where I took mine.

Ask for Andrew or anyone else and they're familiar with this problem. Have them look it up in their computer since there's a TSB on it.
Hey, the local dealer here says warrant doesn't cover. Do you know the warranty period on the intermediate steering shaft?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 10:02 PM

Following

same issue on my 2011 Limited AWD

Is this covered under warranty?

2011 Toyota Sienna Limited AWD in Salsa Red
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brave703 View Post
Hey, the local dealer here says warrant doesn't cover. Do you know the warranty period on the intermediate steering shaft?
Same here, not covered as my time has expired, even though I am under 60K miles. I can get another mechanic to replace the steering shaft, but wanted to know if it must be done, or can it be lubed? I guess it must be replaced to be safe? shame that we as consumers need to replace this item that wears after the 3 year warranty!

2011 Toyota Sienna Limited AWD in Salsa Red

post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 11:41 AM

I've also been experiencing this issue in my 2011 XLE. I've got just shy of 60k miles on it now. Bought an extended warranty at time of purchase. Just need to find the paperwork... For those who had this repaired, what was the cost?
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 12:36 PM

I was told $450-$750
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 06:22 PM

I'm sure we had this issue on our 2011 which I noticed very early in it's life.

Our 2015 doesn't exhibit the same issue, yet, but she only has 200 miles on her......
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 10:17 PM

I just replace mine today what a difference yeah they new of this problem thank his fix and under warrnty..
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 10:16 AM

Does anyone have the actual TSB for this problem? I can only seem to find the 2nd gen TSB...

For those that had it repaired under warranty, which one does it fall under? power train? limited?
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Gear View Post
Does anyone have the actual TSB for this problem? I can only seem to find the 2nd gen TSB...

For those that had it repaired under warranty, which one does it fall under? power train? limited?
I have the same questions - hoping somebody will be able to answer...??
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVinje View Post
I have the same questions - hoping somebody will be able to answer...??

It would only be covered under the 3 year 36k basic warranty. If you have an extended warranty will cover ( Toyota Platinum )
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 04:03 PM

My 2011 Sienna FWD got the same issue for the last 15-20K miles, now the van odo at 87K miles so i dropped it of at dealer to fix it, the service adviser acknowledged the issue and gave me a loaner. I got Toyota platinum warranty so it will be cover. Also there a TSB for spare tire carriage. I'm not sure it will be done same day as he didn't mention about parts available. For those who got it replaced, what's the part number?
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:01 PM

Same problem with my 2012. Does anybody know if the powertrain warranty will cover the replacement of the STEERING INTERMEDIATE SHAFT? Thank you guys.
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:58 AM
Supporting Member

I'm sure the powertrain warranty will NOT cover a steering intermediate shaft.

Current: '15 Sienna Limited Premium (FWD), '14 Subaru Outback, '13 Honda CRV AWD.

Past: '08 Sienna LE (FWD), '02 Subaru Outback, '02 Honda Odyssey EX
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibber2 View Post
Part of Toyota's "magic" as a low overhead producer is their proliferation of common parts over a huge number of different vehicles. That we've seen intermediate steering shaft recalls and tech service bulletins show up over the years for the Sienna, Prius, Camry, Corolla, Rav4 and various Lexus models and now complaints with 2011+ models tells me there's still something fundamentally amiss here. How hard can it be to make a little U-joint?

This is the advertising copy from an aftermarket supplier of Toyota compatible shafts: Often on original steering columns, the shafts with the coupler wear out. At first it will usually just make a clicking, or ticking noise when moving the steering wheel. This can usually be felt. If not replaced, over time it can cause not only a loose steering feel, but a dangerous safety concern if the joint separates.
I have sneaking suspicion all the intermediate shaft problems are on cars with electric power steering. With a hydraulic system all the energy was at the rack/pinion, and the steering shaft only needed joints to take human power. Now the joints take all the turning force. What is even worse, during a curb bump all that energy shoots ip rhe shatf and then the electric motor kicks in to correct. This I believe causes the shaft to be overloaded, or at least the joint get overloaded.
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 02:50 PM
Supporting Member

I'm not seeing this. If anything the opposite seems to be true as most of the TSB's I've seen were on older hydraulic systems. The ones I have copies of are as old as 2004.

Current: '15 Sienna Limited Premium (FWD), '14 Subaru Outback, '13 Honda CRV AWD.

Past: '08 Sienna LE (FWD), '02 Subaru Outback, '02 Honda Odyssey EX

Tags
3rd, gen, intermediate, issue, shaft, steering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page