Bag over Coilover - advantage / disadvantage - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Question Bag over Coilover - advantage / disadvantage

I am in the process of figuring out a set up.

Are there any advantages / disadvantages bagging over coilovers instead of stock shocks/struts?

I'm a newb to air suspension and want to make good decisions. TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 06:14 PM

Garage
Re: Bag over Coilover - advantage / disadvantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane5150 View Post
I am in the process of figuring out a set up.

Are there any advantages / disadvantages bagging over coilovers instead of stock shocks/struts?

I'm a newb to air suspension and want to make good decisions. TIA!

get Airrunner. If you cant do Airrunner, then next best thing is the setup from BecauseBags which is Megan coilover struts with Airlift bags on them. The Airlift bags can actually give you more lift and just as much low as Airrunner but the ride isnt as smooth. I know because I had both.

Advantages of using coilover struts over stock struts is the stroke is shorter and the housing is shorter, which allows more drop without bottoming out. As far as making good decisions, if you can get Airrunners, that would be the best decision when it comes to air suspension.
gs3tek and Insane5150 like this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

you my friend, are my savior!!!

I would love to go Airrunner, but the price tag is a little too heavy for me ;-)

I do plan to go through BecauseBags, and recently purchased Megan's from them (Megan has a $50 rebate through the end of year). After dropping nearly a "rack" on them, some people have been getting in my ear telling me not to run bag over coilover. The anxiety of feeling that I just spent a lump of $$ that's unnecessary kicked in really strong. Thank you for clearing that up!!!!

Today, I got the promo email from BB, 20% off products through the end of year. I think I am going to buy the products now, and return to install in a couple months once the funds replenish.

Continued thanks Mutantlobster!!!!
Mutantlobster likes this.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 04:54 AM
Devoted Member

Airrunner just had their price raise at the end of 2015. So it does cost more but I've ran Airrunner kit for over 3 years now as a daily driver with no issue what so ever.
You get what you pay for, that's the bottomline. I've said it before megan+ UAS = expensive repair bills ( bad placement of sensors, axle replacement, stuck on the freeway, etc ) and a group of folks that had Megan w/UAS setup had their kit removed and went with AirRunners already. The right person and place to talk to for Air Bags is Carlin from Impact Performance. He has been doing air bags for a long long time. A lot of high profile SEMA cars and show cars are from his shop, I would recommend him over anyone.

Unless you feel like spending around $6k for Megan+UAS + repair bills plus labor to remove and spend another $7-8k for clean install of Airrunners.
gs3tek and Insane5150 like this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 11:47 AM

pardon the dumb question, I've read a lot of posts where those with dumped sienna have had to replace axles or ripped the boots - with air runner there aren't issues with having to replace axles?

2017 Sienna LE 8-passenger Shoreline Blue Pearl
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Appreciate your info 100 mowmow!!!!

After some unfortunate non communication from a vendor, this gave me the time to think that maybe it's a blessing in disguise and that I might not be making the wisest decision. Good enough, maybe... but not the best.

Continued thanks for the shop referral.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

While looking at the AirRunner set ups, what is recommended?

I see the Basic, but also the suspension only that you'd add a management system to, is that correct?

Mutantlobster & mowmow, can you suggest a good set up?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 03:10 PM
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajin929 View Post
pardon the dumb question, I've read a lot of posts where those with dumped sienna have had to replace axles or ripped the boots - with air runner there aren't issues with having to replace axles?
Nope because AirRunners is engineered and design for Sienna Versus universal system that is not design and engineered for but as an add on to make it work
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 03:17 PM
Devoted Member

Quote:
While looking at the AirRunner set ups, what is recommended?

I see the Basic, but also the suspension only that you'd add a management system to, is that correct?

Mutantlobster & mowmow, can you suggest a good set up?

There is only 1 for Sienna, I highly recommend you contact Carlin at Impact Performance, he is only dealer in NCAL for AirRunners. For management, you can use the native air gauges and 4 toggles to adjust air pressure manually or use Accuair so presets are made. If you just use native air pressure gauges and toggle switches in the beginning and decide to switch over to Accuair, it does involve entire air system need to be remove and re install which cost pretty pennies. I run Accuair with a remote key fob for remote control ride height while car is off. There is an iphone app for Accuair to control via iphone too and it looks exactly like a physical Accuair remote.
Insane5150 likes this.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Continued thanks for all the information and assistance!!! I did reach out to Carlin, and hopefully the ball is rolling.

Yeah, he suggested Accuair over 3H system for better management.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 03:35 PM

Garage

Yup, definitely go Airrunner. You wont be disappointed. As far as management, do your research and pick the one that suits your needs. I know people who run Accurair and people who run 3H. Theyre both good, both reliable, both have their perks. Its like choosing between BMW and Mercedes. Either way, you'll be getting something nice.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:20 PM
Devoted Member

Quote:
Continued thanks for all the information and assistance!!! I did reach out to Carlin, and hopefully the ball is rolling.

Yeah, he suggested Accuair over 3H system for better management.

Good to hear !! he might still have one of the customer's Sienna with AirRunners installed that you can get a ride to get a feel of ride quality. He had the prototype but sold his van already, it was featured in a Japanese car magazine.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:48 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajin929 View Post
It really depends how low you drive. Even with Airrunners, if you drive super low, you'll be damaging your axles. No matter how the strut is designed, it cant correct the angle of your axles when your car is slammed.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 03:02 AM
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmow View Post
Airrunner just had their price raise at the end of 2015. So it does cost more but I've ran Airrunner kit for over 3 years now as a daily driver with no issue what so ever.
You get what you pay for, that's the bottomline. I've said it before megan+ UAS = expensive repair bills ( bad placement of sensors, axle replacement, stuck on the freeway, etc ) and a group of folks that had Megan w/UAS setup had their kit removed and went with AirRunners already. The right person and place to talk to for Air Bags is Carlin from Impact Performance. He has been doing air bags for a long long time. A lot of high profile SEMA cars and show cars are from his shop, I would recommend him over anyone.

Unless you feel like spending around $6k for Megan+UAS + repair bills plus labor to remove and spend another $7-8k for clean install of Airrunners.
Sup Mowmow long time no talk bro!

A lot of what you said I can definitely relate. I was one of the original guys who ran Megan/ UAS and yes eventually I ran into axle issues myself and eventually switched to Airrunners as I got an amazing experience with them on our other Sienna. When I was able to compare the rides the Airrunners are simply just, much better. I ran on the Megans for 2+ years and now on Airrunners for almost 2 I think now.

BUT I think one of the things that haven't been discussed is that Megan/UAS is capable of being great as well if it were installed properly and correctly. I have people in Hawaii that has been on the Megan UAS kit for years and have not really experienced a lot of axle issues like the ones we had here and after talking with a lot of people, Rich from DMCfab, the maker of brackets on the Megan/ UAS installs it a certain way. Here in the Bay Area, we have a different installer and many of the issues we had could've possibly stemmed from the install. There's always two sides to the story and it's very easy to listen to just one side and assume that's all thats transpired but there's more to it than that.

At end of the day though being on both setups the Airrunner is ultimately a much better, well rounded system than the UAS. At the time we went UAS too we already had our Megans so it was so much easier for us to transition to that system as opposed to having to buy new kits completely. We also didn't know any better because it wasn't like there were 20 other bagged Siennas before us. A lot of factors went in as to why things became the way they are.

Lastly, DMCfab is actually almost finished with their own bagged kits for the Sienna and its looking much better than the UAS setup. I'm a big advocate of the Airrunner System but for the benefit of the community and also to give consumers options its great to ask them what they want and what their budget is because even though we would love to have everyone on Airrunners not everyone can afford them.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 02:59 PM
Devoted Member

Hey Paul, how r you ? I saw your old Vossen wheels on another van couple of months ago. Yes AirRunner is not cheap and certainly not for everyone. Paul so you have both the Pioneer Airrunner van and your own with Airrunners too ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page