HID to replace halogen plug and play? - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation HID to replace halogen plug and play?

I'd like to replace the halogen on our 2015 SE premium, I searched on this site and most threads talked about which xenon kit to use, but didn't really talk about if the direct HID replacement will blind the oncoming traffic?

The sienna low beam has lens that is similar to the ones on HID, is the light pattern already configured such that the light (even halogen) shines towards the ground and doesn't blind the oncoming traffic?

Is there adjustment to be made?

For those who have swapped to HID, where do you mount the ballasts? Any pic? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 04:31 PM

Re: HID to replace halogen plug and play?

I stopped retrofitting HIDs on my cars for the following reasons:
1.- Most of them required the anti flicker harness... if one was not installed a dashboard indicator would light up.
2.- DOT regulations vary between states, but at least here in Laredo TX you cannot retrofit HIDs on a vehicle that came out of the factory with halogens, a few years ago you could get away with the inspection but now its almost impossible.
3.- blinding oncoming traffic is not cool

Having said that... if you are going down that route, may I suggest going through the LED path? Much cooler than HIDS and they last longer than Hids.
Best!

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 11:06 PM

Garage

Don't put HIDs into the halogen housings. The halogen lens throws light all over the place and is inconsiderate and unsafe unless you angle the beam way down. You can immediately see the difference in optical clarity if you hold an HID lens next to the halogen one and look through them. When actually putting the HID beam through the lens, the cutoff for the HID projector assembly has a very sharp delineation between light and dark, while when using the halogen projector, the cutoff is much blurrier and produces a ~2' tall beam of light above the cutoff at a distance of ~15'.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 07:35 PM

WOW! I had to create an account and comment on this.

I have a 2006 Sienna that I purchased new in 06. I converted to HID in 2009, I'd say 7+ years is pretty good so I wouldn't worry about the longevity. Wish I could say that about the LED headlights I have in my Odyssey, one died after a few days.

My kids' mom has the Sienna but I can post pictures tomorrow of where I mounted the ballast, it may be different on your year. Just a heads up, though, it's on the inner fender.

My ex-wife smashed my 2013 into the back of a delivery truck, it also had HID headlights, but they were only in there for a few months before she destroyed the van.

Flickering, never seen any issues. Flickering is bad, and in many cases is a sign of a bad connection/insufficient power/bad ground, this could be why you say they don't last long. I.E. installed properly they last for over 7 years and counting.

Legal? Laws vary depending on how ridiculous a state wants to be. But where I live, the only law stating concerning HID is based on color; Section 25950 of the California Vehicle Code states: “Unless provided otherwise, the color of lamps and reflectors upon a vehicle shall be white or yellow for those visible from in front of a vehicle.”

Blinding oncoming traffic? Never seen this to be an issue either. The only vehicle I have that does this is my 1999 Chevrolet Suburban (also has a HID conversion). The reason it blinds oncoming traffic is because it's lifted 12" and the headlights are at mirror level. To be fair it doesn't just blind oncoming traffic, I blind all traffic, but at that height halogens, LED, and HID all are blinding people.

Throwing light everywhere? May be time to clean that lens of yours. It's not laser precision, but it's extremely bright, yeah...light is going to shine on things, but isn't that the point? If I wanted headlights that DON'T shine on things, I would just drive with the headlights off. If you take a 35-watt halogen bulb, place it in a lens, it will be dim and have a slight pattern of light ahead. If you put a 500-watt halogen in that same lens, ...this is going to surprise you...it projects light on thing ahead of you in the same pattern that a HID conversion would do. It's the physics of light. True the lens wasn't specifically designed for HID, but the reason someone might think light gets thrown all over the place is because it's bright.

Here's a test for you; go to a sporting goods store and grab a halogen flashlight and shine it on the wall. Then grab that 2850 lumens LED flashlight and shine it on the wall. Is the pattern wider? Does it "throw light all over the place"? YEAH! It's also about 40 times brighter.

I believe in safety, I can see road signs, wildlife, other cars, and road edges much better when there's more light. For safety, I'd say jump on that HID conversion, you won't regret it.
Current vehicles with HID conversion:
1970 Chevrolet C10 (installed full H4 HID conversion 3 years ago when I bought the truck, no issues)
1999 Chevrolet Suburban (installed 4 years ago when I bought the SUV, no issues)
2006 Toyota Sienna (installed over 7 years ago when a halogen burned out, no issues)
2015 Toyota Corolla (installed 2 years ago when I bought the car, replaced 1 bulb due to an accident)
1974 Porsche 911 (installed full H4 HID conversion 1 year ago when a sealed beam bulb burned out)

Last edited by ModIt; 01-18-2017 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Added list of my other cars with the HID conversion
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 08:09 PM
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModIt View Post
Legal? Laws vary depending on how ridiculous a state wants to be. But where I live, the only law stating concerning HID is based on color; Section 25950 of the California Vehicle Code states: “Unless provided otherwise, the color of lamps and reflectors upon a vehicle shall be white or yellow for those visible from in front of a vehicle.”
The laws actually don't vary. Rules set by the DOT and NHTSA take precedence over all state laws regarding headlights. Please do some reading: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...t%20hid%20kits

California seems to have become more lax than other states in enforcing basic safety regarding headlights. My wife and I will never forget when we and many other motorists had to pull to the shoulder on California highway 68 one night on the way to Monterrey until hundreds of oncoming mainly Honda cars with aftermarket HID headlights passed. I guessed that it was some sort of car club or rally. Regardless, the light from the aftermarket HID headlights were overwhelmingly blinding and we and many, many other drivers could not see to drive.

I completely agree with graure and jareza.

Aftermarket HID used to more of a problem where I live but local law enforcement has zero tolerance for it. It's more common on "the other side" of the state line where law enforcement is much more lax.

I carry an "aftermarket aftermarket HID kit adjustment tool" with me and use it when appropriate - image is attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aftermarket HID kit headlight adjustment tool.jpg (8.1 KB, 36 views)

2014 Sienna Limited, 2012 Prius v - both Blizzard Pearl with Advanced Technology Package
E-Code rear fog light installation: http://www.siennachat.com/forum/69-m...14-sienna.html
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 10:04 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModIt View Post

Blinding oncoming traffic? Never seen this to be an issue either. The only vehicle I have that does this is my 1999 Chevrolet Suburban (also has a HID conversion). The reason it blinds oncoming traffic is because it's lifted 12" and the headlights are at mirror level. To be fair it doesn't just blind oncoming traffic, I blind all traffic, but at that height halogens, LED, and HID all are blinding people.

I believe in safety, I can see road signs, wildlife, other cars, and road edges much better when there's more light.

Yet another totally selfish troll who only cares about "his" perceived safety, and doesn't give a hoot about anybody else.

Hey Geezer, can I borrow that hammer?
TurboTalon likes this.

Current: '15 Sienna Limited Premium (FWD), '14 Subaru Outback, '13 Honda CRV AWD.

Past: '08 Sienna LE (FWD), '02 Subaru Outback, '02 Honda Odyssey EX
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 12:53 PM

http://www.lightwerkz.net/
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 01:49 PM

When I first got my 2016 Limited I also bought and installed a xenondepot Extreme HID kit. The light output was great, but like others said, I found it was blinding others, even when it was just my two year old and I. When I gave someone a ride to the airport with their luggage in the back, and it was like having high Beams on.

So I removed those and got the H11 SMZ 5k LED from vled.com. They were better since they're not as bright as the HIDs, but they put a lot of light in the foreground, which I find distracting.

Then xenondepot came out with 5700k extreme LEDs, which I thought I would try because of the LED placement. There is not as much light in the foreground, and they seem to project better down the road. I have those installed now, but I don't really care for the color.

At this point I wished I had just spent the extra three grand for the limited premium with the height adjustable HIDs.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 11:27 PM

I am new here, just picked bought a 2014 se. I have retrofitted hids in a 2013 Sonata, and if I face the wall, I get a distinct line, and under that is where all the light goes. I never blind people because of this and I also hate people who run hids with the light scattered everywhere. I guess from what I am reading so far, the Sienna projectors cannot safely contain the light output of hids. I will have to look into it more.

Some drivers just hate hids even when they are contained....Mostly older folks whose eyes cannot adjust properly to the newer lighting technology.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 10:53 AM
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpok69 View Post
I am new here, just picked bought a 2014 se. I have retrofitted hids in a 2013 Sonata, and if I face the wall, I get a distinct line, and under that is where all the light goes. I never blind people because of this and I also hate people who run hids with the light scattered everywhere. I guess from what I am reading so far, the Sienna projectors cannot safely contain the light output of hids. I will have to look into it more.

Some drivers just hate hids even when they are contained....Mostly older folks whose eyes cannot adjust properly to the newer lighting technology.
A person could go blind just from reading the numerous studies on headlight glare that have been conducted under the auspices of the NHTSA. This google search gets links to many of them: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...+of+headlights

Some of the studies the google search returns includes data on how drivers including older drivers react to glare from OEM HID, OEM halogen and aftermarket headlight bulbs.

The best OEM HID and halogen headlights I've driven behind used traditional reflectors instead of projectors although all the halogen headlights I'm talking about except one were E-code only and not approved for the U.S. While projector headlights may allow auto makers flexibility in front end styling, they seem to have serious performance limitations - at least the ones I've driven behind including the OEM HID headlights on our Sienna.

LED and laser headlights are, at least for now, the "future" - particularly for their beam masking which allows continuous use of maximum light output without separate low and high beam headlights. Current LED and laser headlights already available on some production vehicles in Europe (e.g. Audi) but not yet approved for the U.S. can mask the beam to prevent blinding multiple oncoming drivers.

Here's some interesting videos on this technology - the 2nd one is more "fun":

U.S. vehicle lighting regulations have fallen far behind those of the EU after a few years of near parity. It's not just about headlights. If you were to by an EU version of some of Toyotas sold in the U.S., you would get rear lights with eye catching sequential turn signals and brake lights that vary in operation based on deceleration rate.

2014 Sienna Limited, 2012 Prius v - both Blizzard Pearl with Advanced Technology Package
E-Code rear fog light installation: http://www.siennachat.com/forum/69-m...14-sienna.html
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 10:58 AM
Supporting Member

Most projectors will do a better job than a reflector assembly will at properly placing the light where it should be when retrofitted with the WRONG type of bulb. But they can't produce an identical pattern, no matter what you might think you are seeing. For one thing, the internal cutoff shield line is in the wrong place. You would have to open the assembly and move the shield, or use the adjuster screws to substantially lower the beam to get a reasonable approximation. Plus, halogen assemblies lack the auto/manual adjuster motors used by factory HID lights to keep that cutoff where it should be when weight changes the pitch of the vehicle.

Current: '15 Sienna Limited Premium (FWD), '14 Subaru Outback, '13 Honda CRV AWD.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 05:06 PM

i put LED plug n play in my 2014 Sienna LE (headlight lows and DRL/highs).
No issues, nice bright white light similar to HID...love the clarity that i get versus the halogen.

My odyssey has a PnP HID kit and we have had ballasts burn out and all.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 09:07 PM

I thought all 3rd gen Sienna comes with lens headlight which is the same as in XLE/Limited that comes w/ HID?

Anyhow, for me it's technically PnP, although mine is lowered (Megan CO suspension) and I adjusted the headlights down to not blind oncoming traffic. Even with lots of luggage in the back, lights still level and did not change much on current harshest CO setup.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 10:47 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiLioPi View Post
I thought all 3rd gen Sienna comes with lens headlight which is the same as in XLE/Limited that comes w/ HID?
Incorrect!

The Limited has an OPTION of a special projector assembly with an enlarged bowl, re-positioned cutoff shield, motor powered height adjuster and lens focused for use with a gas discharge capsule.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graure View Post
Don't put HIDs into the halogen housings. The halogen lens throws light all over the place and is inconsiderate and unsafe unless you angle the beam way down. You can immediately see the difference in optical clarity if you hold an HID lens next to the halogen one and look through them. When actually putting the HID beam through the lens, the cutoff for the HID projector assembly has a very sharp delineation between light and dark, while when using the halogen projector, the cutoff is much blurrier and produces a ~2' tall beam of light above the cutoff at a distance of ~15'.
This.

I was trying to figure out what this was on my '14 SE (with HID conversion). I was showing my wife and to us, it looks like 2 jack-o-lantern eyes almost right above the step of each light. Now, I'm guessing that is exactly what you're referring to...?? While I need to lower my angle, because it is a touch too high, there's nothing that can be done about those 'eyes', unless you wanna do a full retro, or at least have headlight surgery.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page