Wheel Size Increase Pro's/Con's - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mutantlobster

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Wheel Size Increase Pro's/Con's

Purchased 2013 LE which recently installed Blizzak WS80, 235/60, on stock 17" rims. Plan to purchase "used" OEM rims this spring or sooner and put on all-season tires. Live in Minneapolis, Minnesota so would rather not go with "true" summer tires.

Is it worth it to upgrade to 18" wheels? My basic research shows weight increase and tire cost increase while better handling.

Appreciate groups insights and experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 11:16 PM

Re: Wheel Size Increase Pro's/Con's

It all depends on what your budget is. You can find lightweight 18-19" wheels but they are pricey, and the bigger the wheel, the more expensive the rubber is. We have an SE and it has the stock Michelin tires on them. They're ok, but definitely not a great performance tire like my Nitto 555's
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 01:26 PM
Supporting Member

Larger wheels look nice with their lower profile tires, but it gets expensive quickly and the ride quality degrades as you drop into 55 & 50 series rubber.

Current: '15 Sienna Limited Premium (FWD), '14 Subaru Outback, '13 Honda CRV AWD.

Past: '08 Sienna LE (FWD), '02 Subaru Outback, '02 Honda Odyssey EX

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 03:38 PM

I'm with Fibber25. Larger wheels equal more unsprung weight, costlier wheels, and more expensive tires. All for what? A chance at quicker steering input? Not worth it, IMO.
Bigger wheels work for race cars because they allow them to install larger brake rotors. Unless that's your goal, I wouldn't bother.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 07:21 AM

I've been quite happy running the 17" rims on my 2011 AWD Sienna (once I ditched the worthless run flat tires). We have a lot of dirt roads in my area, and even the paved ones have their share of pot holes. You don't want to run with narrow sidewalls if you are cruising those types of roads: the ride is worse, and more chance of damaging your rims when you hit that mega-pot hole that was hidden by slush in the middle of winter.

Plus, I really don't give damn about the "look" of the big wheels. I just want a reliable, AWD vehicle that gets, and my passengers/cargo to where I need to be.

Last edited by John Mc; 02-07-2017 at 08:06 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 02:43 PM

Garage

Actually 20" tires arent even as expensive as you might think. I get a full set of Falken ze950 all seasons for $550. It just boils down to purpose, your climate limitations, and comfort preferences. The tire cost and difference in the weight of the wheels seems pretty minimal.
graure likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantlobster View Post
The tire cost and difference in the weight of the wheels seems pretty minimal.
That's an interesting thought. If they are aluminum alloy rims, the additional weight of the larger rim might even be lighter than the rubber it replaces?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 03:26 PM

i think with more cars with 20" wheels from the factory, the price of tires have come down a lot.

i'm sure many remember early-mid '90's with running a 205/40/16 on your tuner car was considered 'baller', and 'oh snap, he just went 17's" hahaha

2017 Sienna LE 8-passenger Shoreline Blue Pearl
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 05:51 PM

i'd like to get a set of 17s to replace my stock 18s. ride quality to me and my family is far more important than handling.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 06:18 PM
Supporting Member

You might find some of my post on 18" vs 17" of use to you. I'm very happy with these aftermarket copies.
Geezer built a similar package using refinished OEM wheels. Either approach gets you to 17" at a very reasonable price. In fact, almost 'free' when you consider the difference in price of 18" vs 17" tires, that you can resell the 18" wheels, reuse the center caps and TPMS sensors, etc.

Building my Winter Tire Package

Current: '15 Sienna Limited Premium (FWD), '14 Subaru Outback, '13 Honda CRV AWD.

Past: '08 Sienna LE (FWD), '02 Subaru Outback, '02 Honda Odyssey EX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page