LED headlights and Morimoto LED fog lights - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

LED headlights and Morimoto LED fog lights

Had a broken right fog light. Decided to change both fogs and headlights to have comparable light temperature.
Very easy job. However, I'm much more impressed by the new headlights than the fogs. Expected more light from Morimoto after reading all the feedback.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3584_95_00_01_03_q.jpg (111.8 KB, 114 views)
Liangphoto likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 08:40 AM
Supporting Member

Re: LED headlights and Morimoto LED fog lights

I'm not sure I'd be all that happy with the output and pattern from either, but maybe that's just me.

If you take the light visible on your garage door and imagine how that will appear down the road (the NHTSA low beam pattern), what I'm seeing is the loss of the midfield projection (hotter high spot), and much more light spread out in the nearfield where you don't really need more. The emission point of the LED bulbs just doesn't jive with the design of the Sienna incandescent projectors. So while there may be more light in total (maybe....), it doesn't land where you need it when driving. It would require a new projector and back bowl design to take advantage of it.

Current: '15 Sienna Limited Premium (FWD), '14 Subaru Outback, '13 Honda CRV AWD.

Past: '08 Sienna LE (FWD), '02 Subaru Outback, '02 Honda Odyssey EX
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 03:10 PM

Did you replace just the bulbs in the stock housing or did you replace the factory fogs with the complete morimoto led foglights? I assume since you said one was broken, that you replaced the stock housings with the morimoto complete foglights....depressing that you aren't happy with them, I was really hoping they were better than stock.

Last edited by TacomaGuy; 05-12-2017 at 03:13 PM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 11:22 PM
Devoted Member

Had my headlights bulbs replaced with HID bulbs and very happy with it. I'm not impressed with the morimoto LED foglighs. Stick with OEM foglights with H11 bulbs.

MODS:
*** 5 min horn mod [HERE] *** Glovebox lighting mod [HERE] *** 2011-2014 LED Turn Signal Mirrors [HERE]
*** OEM Shark Antenna Mod [HERE]
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger77k View Post
Had a broken right fog light. Decided to change both fogs and headlights to have comparable light temperature.
Very easy job. However, I'm much more impressed by the new headlights than the fogs. Expected more light from Morimoto after reading all the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibber2 View Post
I'm not sure I'd be all that happy with the output and pattern from either, but maybe that's just me.

If you take the light visible on your garage door and imagine how that will appear down the road (the NHTSA low beam pattern), what I'm seeing is the loss of the midfield projection (hotter high spot), and much more light spread out in the nearfield where you don't really need more. The emission point of the LED bulbs just doesn't jive with the design of the Sienna incandescent projectors. So while there may be more light in total (maybe....), it doesn't land where you need it when driving. It would require a new projector and back bowl design to take advantage of it.

My output looks significantly better than that, any pictures on the road? Something may be wrong with your gigs.

19" Sienne SE wheels and tires for sale: http://www.siennachat.com/forum/75-b...-1k-miles.html
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 12:48 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcm glx View Post
My output looks significantly better than that, any pictures on the road? Something may be wrong with your gigs.
That's because you retrofitted your projectors (I remember because I chose my projectors based on your other post). When the OP says that the switch was very easy, it likely means that he didn't retrofit.

This image is a fantastic example of why you can't just pop brighter bulbs into the halogen bowls, despite what a few on this board insist upon. That picture has the van only about 5' away and look at that output. Imagine what it looks like at the 20' that people usually adjust headlights at.
fibber2 likes this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graure View Post
That's because you retrofitted your projectors (I remember because I chose my projectors based on your other post). When the OP says that the switch was very easy, it likely means that he didn't retrofit.

This image is a fantastic example of why you can't just pop brighter bulbs into the halogen bowls, despite what a few on this board insist upon. That picture has the van only about 5' away and look at that output. Imagine what it looks like at the 20' that people usually adjust headlights at.
I was referring only to the output of the Fogs, sorry should have clarified. the output on my Fogs are significantly better than what is shown.

19" Sienne SE wheels and tires for sale: http://www.siennachat.com/forum/75-b...-1k-miles.html
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 09:49 AM
Supporting Member

The problem is that the OP is playing with LED retrofit bulbs, for which there IS NO acceptable projector bowl on the market.

We know that the emission point of a halogen and HID bulb is different, and requires custom optics for them to work properly. There are specs for the exact placement of the halogen filament. There's specs for 'real' HID bulbs (D2R, etc.), and let's call it reasonable build uniformity for rebased HID to Halogen bulbs. LED? There is no proper solution, and thus zero specs. All these guys place their multiple emitters at different spots, so no two bulbs will be the same.

Current: '15 Sienna Limited Premium (FWD), '14 Subaru Outback, '13 Honda CRV AWD.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaGuy View Post
Did you replace just the bulbs in the stock housing or did you replace the factory fogs with the complete morimoto led foglights? I assume since you said one was broken, that you replaced the stock housings with the morimoto complete foglights....depressing that you aren't happy with them, I was really hoping they were better than stock.
Replaced the housings, yep. What is more, one of the lights stopped working after 2 days. Getting a replacement.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoPlaces View Post
Had my headlights bulbs replaced with HID bulbs and very happy with it. I'm not impressed with the morimoto LED foglighs. Stick with OEM foglights with H11 bulbs.
$300CAD a housing? No, thank you. OEM is out.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcm glx View Post
I was referring only to the output of the Fogs, sorry should have clarified. the output on my Fogs are significantly better than what is shown.
Interesting. I just installed the morimotos and adjusted them to be the same level as the original fogs.
When do you say better - what do you mean?
Brighter? But that just depends on exposure of the camera shot.
I'm not really happy that they have very narrow band of light. I guess they are designed specifically for foggy conditions and not to highlight the roadside, which is a very nice side effect of the original fogs.

Last edited by tiger77k; 05-15-2017 at 11:52 AM.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
-

Interesting. I just installed the morimotos and adjusted them to be the same level as the original fogs.
When do you say better - what do you mean?
Brighter? But that just depends on exposure of the camera shot.
I'm not really happy that they have very narrow band of light. I guess they are designed specifically for foggy conditions and not to highlight the roadside, which is a very nice side effect of the original fogs.
The narrow band may just be for a more crisp cutoff, I guess my question is on the road, what does the output look like. For me the fill in the void between the front end and my headlights fantastically, and also project out toward the side quite well.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
The problem is that the OP is playing with LED retrofit bulbs, for which there IS NO acceptable projector bowl on the market.

We know that the emission point of a halogen and HID bulb is different, and requires custom optics for them to work properly. There are specs for the exact placement of the halogen filament. There's specs for 'real' HID bulbs (D2R, etc.), and let's call it reasonable build uniformity for rebased HID to Halogen bulbs. LED? There is no proper solution, and thus zero specs. All these guys place their multiple emitters at different spots, so no two bulbs will be the same.
We are talking about his foglights, which are completely new sealed LED units from Morimoto. They are not LED bulbs in the stock fog housing.

2009 Tacoma TRD Sport V6 4x4
2016 Sienna XLE
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

What is the problem, again? "loss of the midfield" and extra light in the "nearfield"?
You are just imagining how it looks on the road and to me, they look good on the road.
Do they shine into the eyes of oncoming driver? No. According to law of the place where I live - they are legal.
So what's the problem?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 09:48 PM
Supporting Member

First off, I was responding to Graure's post, which (I believe) dealt with replacing the halogen headlight projectors with arc (HID) projectors to keep the light pattern correct. As I stated, there IS NO APPROVED retrofit headlight projector for LED bulbs because there ARE NO APPROVED P-N-P LED Headlamp bulbs!

Quote:
What is the problem, again? "loss of the midfield" and extra light in the "nearfield"?
You are just imagining how it looks on the road and to me, they look good on the road.
Do they shine into the eyes of oncoming driver? No. According to law of the place where I live - they are legal.
So what's the problem?
My humble apologies for getting into technical details that you can't grasp. Let me speak more simply. You posted a bunch of pictures showing a crappy light distribution, and tell us it's great on the road. Sure.... And no, if you live in the United States, they are NOT legal per the FMVSS for headlamps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page