2012 Sienna overhead DVD player installation - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

2012 Sienna overhead DVD player installation

So I just purchased a 2012 XLE that comes with the moonroof. I want to install an aftermarket DVD player. I took it to a company that does this for the dealer and they told me there is not enough bracing for them to feel comfortable installing an overhead and they suggested looking into headrest DVD players. I read online somewhere that there is a bracket that they use on the factory DVD players but is not installed. I do not want to do this myself and my wife and I both agree that we would prefer the overhead vs. the headrest players. My want list in a DVD player includes a USB port or a media reader that will play DIVX/VCD's, so this pretty much rules out most "factory" options. Anybody have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 12:31 AM

Re: 2012 Sienna overhead DVD player installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownru
So I just purchased a 2012 XLE that comes with the moonroof. I want to install an aftermarket DVD player. I took it to a company that does this for the dealer and they told me there is not enough bracing for them to feel comfortable installing an overhead and they suggested looking into headrest DVD players. I read online somewhere that there is a bracket that they use on the factory DVD players but is not installed. I do not want to do this myself and my wife and I both agree that we would prefer the overhead vs. the headrest players. My want list in a DVD player includes a USB port or a media reader that will play DIVX/VCD's, so this pretty much rules out most "factory" options. Anybody have any suggestions?
While I have the factory system in my XLE, we solved the "personal media" issue by getting a nice box like the PBO core and hooked it into the video input. With a 500GB notebook drive in it, there's never a lack of back seat entertainment.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 11:55 AM

Garage

I have a 2011 SE with moonroof and had a Rosen Z10 overhead DVD player installed. The professional installer did a great job and he told me that he actually prefers a moonroof because they typically offer more support near where he installs the mounting bracket for the DVD player. He told me that if the bracing wasn't there, he was experienced enough to manufacture something. I would check with a different installer, maybe look for someone who is MECP Master Installer certified.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 09:26 PM

hey rworne, could you please tell me what a "PBO core" is - I'm interested
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 09:29 PM

Were you talking about the Patriot Black PBO Core Box? If so, how did you wire it for power? and did you mount it somewhere? Thanks in advance!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 02:28 PM

I have a 2012 SE with moonroof and there was no problem with the overhead DVD player. I have a VST 12 inch. The installer had a similar response to that of Brain2011SE - he said that there was great support for the DVD player and that the install was quite simple with the mounting. It looks great and the install is very solid.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 01:58 PM

Very strange. I have had a installer from a local shop tell me that with sunroof it was an impossibility and started to suggest headrests. Another experienced installer told me he preferred the sunroof also.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 03:51 AM

Garage

i have 2011 Sienna SE and installed Performance Teknique ICBM-9534 13.3" TFT Ceiling Mount & Flip-Down Monitor. Works fine. it's huge. didn't think it was big at first, but when it's installed it's huge... 15" is too big.. 10" thought it was too small... but 13.3" would give you the small theater experience... very good resolution as well...
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 07:48 PM

You need Toyota part number 86117-08010. I just purchased one and installed an overhead DVD player.

IMG_0678.jpg
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 11:21 PM

Thumbs up Re: 2012 Sienna overhead DVD player installation

Get this one: http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/pkg-rse2

The quality is amazing. Way better than all the other stuff. $570 online.
Had it in our Highlander. Never had issues. Other stuff like Rosen was not working when it was around 30 or 100 degrees outside till the temperature normalizes in the car.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantM1X View Post
You need Toyota part number 86117-08010. I just purchased one and installed an overhead DVD player.

Attachment 2889
this is laughable... i have seen prices for this for over $100... while this is piece of stamped sheet of metal, worth literally $5
Also previous year versions cost about $8...
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian2011SE View Post
I have a 2011 SE with moonroof and had a Rosen Z10 overhead DVD player installed. The professional installer did a great job and he told me that he actually prefers a moonroof because they typically offer more support near where he installs the mounting bracket for the DVD player. He told me that if the bracing wasn't there, he was experienced enough to manufacture something. I would check with a different installer, maybe look for someone who is MECP Master Installer certified.
How much is average aftermarket installation cost?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 11:07 PM

Hi! Just like to ask were can i get this bracket (86117-08010)cheaper ?Because the Toyota dealership here in our area is charging me $175 and they say the reason its expensive because this is special order.When you say that it is only $5-$8 can you please let me know were you bought your bracket.Thanks
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 11:52 AM

Here's a PDF for DVD install with sunroof.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 09:46 PM

Won't let me view pdf file?

Tags
2012, dvd, installation, overhead, player

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page