Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

What will void your original+extended warranty?

6K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  samilcar 
#1 ·
Hello all,

If we decide to do regular maintenance on the car on our own, will it void the original+extended warranty?

For example, oil filter change/brakes/coolant, etc.

Thank you

#3 ·
It shouldn't but providers are known to give grief to DIY'rs and try to wiggle out of warranty claims depending on the cost of the repair. Audi/VW gave hell to folks when they had sludge issues on the 5th gen vehicles. Not saying that this would happen on our cars but if you are not going to the stealership then better have all documentation, should you need it.

For oil changes, like mentioned above, try to stick with oem or Toyota recommended non-oem filters and oil. Keep a copy of the purchase receipts. Whenever you do an oil change, save a picture of the odo (with that days newspaper) and then someone or you holding the newspaper when you change the oil (sounds amusing :) ).

#4 ·
Take advantage of the free 2 year maintenance...it's free so what is there not to like about it?

#6 ·
Making modifications to the van will not void the warranty on the whole van. However, if you do suspension work that changes CV joint angle, or change wheel offset thereby putting more stress on wheel bearings, you can certainly expect to be told to stuff it should you come in with a failure of those parts.

#7 ·
http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance

Unfortunately, unscrupulous dealers/manufacturers/warrantors have been known to make people sue them even though the owner is right, and they know it.

I used the free dealer services, and then take it to my trusted mechanic and keep the detailed receipts. If I did anything myself, I'd keep receipts for parts and log the work.

I also take pics of all sides of my car and the odometer with my cellphone before giving it to valet/dealer/service. My iPhone adds location and date/time data to the picture file, so I don't need a newspaper.

#8 ·
What will void your warranty? Having a problem and taking it to the dealer. They will find a way to void it. That would be funny if it weren't true.

I've grown tired of my dealer's slow weak service with his hand on my wallet. I am glad I did not buy an extended warranty. I will put that $1500 towards my first repair with my trusted mechanic who seems to have my interests at heart.

#9 ·
From the Federal Trade Commission link posted by qest t. silverclaw: "the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which is enforced by the FTC, makes it illegal for manufacturers or dealers to claim that your warranty is void or to deny coverage under your warranty simply because someone other than the dealer did the work"

The only way for a manufacturer to void your warranty (or parts of your warranty) is to PROVE in a court that some maintenance you did (or failed to do) was so out of the norm and against their recommendations, that it caused a problem to occur. This means that legally, under the Magnuson-Moss act, the burden of proof is on the manufacturer when denying a claim. They cannot void your warranty just because you used a non-manufacturer brand of oil, or you didn't keep every single purchase receipt for every quart of motor oil.

This doesn't mean that some unscrupulous dealers won't try to tell you differently (this happens all the time). If you run into a dealer like this, just mention "Magnuson-Moss". If they still persist, find another dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.