2011 Sienna Roof Rack: Can I Haul This...?

1. Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum General discussion forum for Toyota Sienna

Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Sienna.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Sienna Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2011 Sienna Roof Rack: Can I Haul This...?

2011 Sienna Roof Rack: Can I Haul This...?

Can the "stock" roof rack on a 2011 Sienna XLE be used to tie down a piece of furniture for a long haul? Are there places where I can loop rope or place hooks? Can the built-in rails support the maximum weight without the crosspieces?

I'm debating about a "try before you buy" rental of a 2011 Sienna from the Toyota dealer for a week-long family trip. I want to take some inherited furniture, a couple of recliners and an armoire, to a relative that can use them. I believe I can "stack" the two recliners in the back with the third-row down. That leaves the 120 lb. armoire...

I'm hesitant to purchase any additional parts, as I don't know how soon we'll be getting a new Sienna (the wife is still attached to her well-loved Camry) and since rarely haul anything that won't fit inside a car.

All info and advice apprecaited.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Re: 2011 Sienna Roof Rack: Can I Haul This...?

Since the roof rails handle all of the load on the crossbars, they must be able to handle it without the crossbars; on the other hand, I don't remember what the tops of the rails are like, and whether they would be suitable to directly apply load (the crossbars insert into slots on the inboard side of the rails). I can't imagine there being good tie-down points without the crossbars - there certainly are not on the second generation Sienna. A bigger concern would be that the furniture is unlikely to sit well directly on the curved rails, even if the spacing between them happens to suit the furniture.

An alternative to buying Sienna crossbars would be to get generic aftermarket towers/feet and crossbars/load bars of whatever model fits the 2011 Sienna, from Thule (foot model 450 or 450R) or Yakima. They will work on other vehicles, perhaps one that you actually have or will get, in case the Sienna is not purchased; they would also have better resale appeal than Sienna-specific parts. Warning: these are not cheap (hundreds of dollars for a set).

Personally, I would rather tow a small trailer, but I realize that's not an option with a rented Sienna (which would not have a hitch or trailer wiring).

Thanks for the info.

I searched Craigslist looking for used Thule or Yakima parts. I came across a posting of someone offering a weekly rental of the Thule 450 feet and bars for $25, including installation and removal. It will be about a half hour drive out of the way, but getting the right parts to tie the armoire down would be a good thing!

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by pterrell
    I came across a posting of someone offering a weekly rental of the Thule 450 feet and bars for $25, including installation and removal.
    I had no idea that stuff could be rented; sounds like a great deal to me.

6. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements