Parts needed for 2009 Sienna Oil Change
NEWS

1. Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum General discussion forum for Toyota Sienna

Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Sienna.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Sienna Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Parts needed for 2009 Sienna Oil Change

Parts needed for 2009 Sienna Oil Change

I was going to change my oil for the first time until I saw, to my surprise, the standard filter I am accustomed to is not on my new van. Getting the required tools for this new type of oil filter on the 2009 is more of a pain than I thought it would be. Seems that no autoparts stores carry the "oil filter cup" or SST, as shown in the oil change diagram in an earlier post, used to remove the oil filter cap assembly. My local Toyota dealer told me the ones at Napa do not fit well and recommended the $45 Matco "oil filter cup" that he can get for me with no markup.

Looking at the oil change diagram the other items it shows are two o-rings, an oil pan drain gasket, oil filter element, pipe assembly and hose.

My questions:

1. Do I have to buy the pipe assembly the hose attaches to? Or is it already on the filter?
    2. Can the filter be replaced without using the drain hose?
    3. Has anyone had any success finding an "oil filter cup" from anyone other than Toyota? Where, how much and does it fit well?
    4. Does the oil pan drain plug gasket need replacing every oil change?

Any help from those who have changed out this type of filter would be greatly appreciated. The last thing I want to do is get started and not have the right parts. This is my only vehicle so I can't just run out to the store to buy something I missed.

Thanks!

EDIT: corrected typo in topic for better accuracy when "searching"
    By: topspy / Mod-Squad

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Parts needed for 2009 Seinna Oil Change

1. Do I have to buy the pipe assembly the hose attaches to? Or is it already on the filter?

No, this plastic plug in part is included in the box (along with the two O-rings) when you buy the filter.

2. Can the filter be replaced without using the drain hose?

Yes. In fact, I find it easier just to plug the little plastic part into the housing drain plug and have the oil drain directly into the catch pan (without the hose attached). Other people find it easier to not even mess with the drain plug and simply unscrew the whole filter housing and dump the oil out of it.

3. Has anyone had any success finding an "oil filter cup" from anyone other than Toyota? Where, how much and does it fit well?

I bought a 65mm cup wrench from an online auto supply store for $15 (forget which store), and it works, but is a little too big. A 64mm cup wrench is the more proper size.

4. Does the oil pan drain plug gasket need replacing every oil change?

Not necessarily. I did my first three oil changes without replacing it and have not had a problem. However, I recently bought 10 of these gaskets and will be replacing them on each one of my next oil changes.
    2008 Sienna LE 2WD

Samilcar,

What is the manufacturer of the filter you buy?

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by glporter
    Samilcar,

I have a 64 mm cup oil filter wrench from Walmart for about $5 or so. You only use this to loosen the filter housing. You tighten it by hand when you replace the filter. I would get a Purolator filter first. The little white plastic drainer is threaded so you can screw in and control the flow of the oil out of the housing. Do not throw this plastic piece away. Save it for future changes. I typically use Fram CH9972. Double check to see if it fits yours. I think it should.

I had attached a step by step instructions in a previous post http://siennachat.com/forum/index.php/topic,931.0.html. It was for an Avalon, but it is the same engine. Good luck and enjoy!

Samilcar,

I've only used the Toyota OEM filters (purchased from Toyota dealer) so far. Mobil 1 has finally started selling this M1C251 cartridge filter just recently. I want to try this Mobil 1 filter, but don't really want to pay the $13-$18 that retailers are asking for it, especially when I can get the OEM for just $4.
    2008 Sienna LE 2WD

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samilcar
    I've only used the Toyota OEM filters (purchased from Toyota dealer) so far. Mobil 1 has finally started selling this M1C251 cartridge filter just recently. I want to try this Mobil 1 filter, but don't really want to pay the $13-$18 that retailers are asking for it, especially when I can get the OEM for just $4.
    Where do you get Toyota OEM filters for $4? That beats Walmart...even aftermarket.

1sttoyotaparts.com sells them for $3.95, $10 minimum order and S&H is 10% of your total order.
    2008 Sienna LE 2WD

Supporting Member

~snip!~
    Seems that no autoparts stores carry the "oil filter cup" or SST, as shown in the oil change diagram in an earlier post, used to remove the oil filter cap assembly.
    ~snip!~
    Thanks!
    Just FYI...

SST = Special Service Tool (or something like that)
    When you see SST in a Toyota manual, it is their generic designation for specialty tools that are custom-designed for a particular task. Some of these "special" tools may or may not be needed, and may or may not need to be acquired from Toyota. You might be able to use a different tool or there may also be an aftermarket supplier with a copycat/similar model. Sometimes, though, you really will have to get it from Toyota...or in the case of some of the electronics it might be a dealer-service item only, or require a tool that is prohibitively expen$$$ive for the average home DIY-er. Costs and suitability for the task will vary.

YMMV.
    Good Luck!! 8)
    2004 XLE Ltd FWD Phantom Grey Pearl/Stone // 140K miles
    . Pod-Style Running Boards
    . OEM Hood Deflector (wimpy-version)
    . 'kmead/SeanY' Rear-Wiper Salute
    . 'mungpat' DIY Cabin Air Filter $$$-Saver
    . Michelin HydroEdge (ex-Yokohama TRZ) ... looking for replacements
    . Costco/Kirkland #9 battery
    . Longer front wipers
    . Britax Frontier 90

Re: Parts needed for 2009 Sienna Oil Change

I bought an oil filter wrench at Advance Auto that works fine. I don't bother draining the housing before I remove it. It's a mess either way.

Just a heads up, NO SPECIAL TOOLS are needed to remove the oil filter housing. My '08 has a square recess in the middle of the housing, which is the same size as the square in a 3/8" ratchet. You just need one 3/8" extension to get enough clearance to swing the wrench.

That square recess is the drain plug. If it's been overtightened (either intentionally or unintentionally) then it can be used to remove the whole filter housing. It's still unclear if this overtightening damages the small o-ring inside the drain plug and creates an oil leak problem down the road.

How is it that GM can design a nearly perfect canister filter, as used on their ecotec engines, and this Rube Goldberg setup is the best that Toyota can come up with?
    2008 Sienna LE 2WD

Agree with the others regarding the filters. I bought a six pack of OEM filters for $3.99 each from an dealer's online service dept www.trdsparks.com

[Reposting from another thread]

Here's are links for the official tools. I have them and like them.

64mm

get this one if you want the official tool. You'll need a 24 mm socket to wrench it with.

I also have one of these and must say it really makes adding 6.4 quarts of oil a pure joy

As for oil drain bolt washer - I put a Fumoto valve in with my first change - have done this on a number of cars over the years. They work great and you never have to mess with a drain washer again. Makes the oil change process a little cleaner too (no more splash during bolt removal)

You can use discount code YM4 for 10% off.

YMMV...
    2009 Toyota Sienna Limited AWD | Slate Metallic
    2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI | Dark Gray Metallic

Sorry my mistake, I just purchased the van and haven't changed the oil yet. I didn't realize the drain plug is built into the filter housing.

My local Toyota dealer told me the ones at Napa do not fit well and recommended the $45 Matco "oil filter cup" that he can get for me with no markup.
    I have the NAPA 65mm cup wrench (#SER3253); it is well made (compared to the stamped metal ones at discount auto parts stores) and works OK - if you put too much pressure on it it will "stick" to the housing so that you have to tap it back the other way to "loosen" it; Considering that the housing is only supposed to be torqued down to 18 ft-lbs I don't think this is an issue (for me at least). However, I had to have the NAPA guy order one from the regional warehouse, and they only had 2 left, so they may have stopped carrying them. The guy told me they were made by K-Tool, but that's just heresay...
    Brad

2008 Sienna LE-8

Quote Originally Posted by happycamper
    Sorry my mistake, I just purchased the van and haven't changed the oil yet. I didn't realize the drain plug is built into the filter housing.
    The drain plug in the filter housing is just to drain the oil out of the housing itself; there is still a traditional oil pan drain plug to actually drain the oil from the pan/engine.
    Brad

2008 Sienna LE-8

17. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements