BCI Group 24F Replacement Battery - suggestions and sources? - Page 3
NEWS

1. Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum ľ General discussion forum for Toyota Sienna

Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Sienna.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Sienna Forum today!

View Poll Results: Have you replaced your battery?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

31 44.93%
  • Yes, with a non-OEM size (not Group 24F)

11 15.94%
  • Yes, with the OEM BCI Group 24F size

22 31.88%
  • My Sienna came with a different size

2 2.90%
  • What's a BCI Group?

3 4.35%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: BCI Group 24F Replacement Battery - suggestions and sources?

Supporting Member

Re: BCI Group 24F Replacement Battery - suggestions and sources?

Quote Originally Posted by tbalon
    I was checking at my local Wallmart and came across the following battery. It is a group 24FS which the catalog says should fit the Sienna. It seems to be pretty stout with 700 CCA. It is made by Johnson Controls and has a 3 year free replacement warranty. Sells for $75 which seems reasonable.
    That looks like a good choice, and a good match for the battery supplied as original equipment and sold by Toyota dealers. Unfortunately for me, it is not offered here (at least in my local WalMart).

While the model name ends in 24FS, I believe that the BCI group size is 24F... the "S" could mean anything, but isn't part of the size.

I have added this battery to the summary table.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

I've done another round of minor updates to the table, with some Costco US information supplied by topspy. A summary of sizes will follow later.

Supporting Member

FWIW, According to Consumer Reports, December 2008, car batteries cost and ratings are as follows (best ratings are at the top of each Group):

Group 24 /24F
    Interstate Mega-Tron Plus MTP-24 $101 83
    CR Best Buy EverStart Maxx-24N (North) $75 82
    CR Best Buy EverStart Maxx-24S (South) $75 78
    DieHard Gold 33123 (South) $110 76
    Duralast Gold 24-DLG $89 75
    AutoCraft Titanium 24-6 $85 72
    DieHard Gold 33023 (North) $110 59
    Interstate Mega-Tron II MT-24 $88 43
    2007 Sienna LE, Silver shadow pearl, DRL
    Sound Insulated with Peel and Seal
    MB Quart Rear Separates
    Chrome LED Side view mirror covers
    Polished SS exhaust tip
    glovebox LED light
    uluahunter LED lightstrip mod (24 LED rear amber turn signals and 120 LED brake light)
    96 LED rear storage light

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by brian_bp

While the model name ends in 24FS, I believe that the BCI group size is 24F... the "S" could mean anything, but isn't part of the size.

I believe the "S" refers to a battery designed for the South or southern region of the U.S. Whereas an "N" would designate North or the northern region.
    MB Quart Rear Separates
    Polished SS exhaust tip
    glovebox LED light
    uluahunter LED lightstrip mod (24 LED rear amber turn signals and 120 LED brake light)

http://www.pacificpowerbatteries.com...Q/carfaq7.html

This is an interesting discussion of battery types incuding the issue of batteries made for northern and southern climates.

Mike Brown
    Vancouver, WA
    Vancouver, Washington

I can't believe no one mentioned the ultimate battery, the Optima Spiralcell Yellow top with height adaptor.. owned by Interstate, the Optima will last 6-7 years in a Sienna, and can be deep discharged up to 100 times without affecting the life of the battery. it is leak proof because it has a chemical paste instead of liquid sloshing around. the construction is like a six- pack of beer ( 6 cells). I got mine at Costco it is like $175 but worth every penny. I think Optima calls it size 35..I will post more info..

2nd gen Sienna was group 24F, new 2011 Sienna is 24R
    Note: Optima suggests the same battery size for all 2004 - 2011 Siennas

Size 35 or D35

I always recommend yellow top over red top for automotive applications, because you are likely to run accessories with the engine off, and that is what the yellow top does best -- while still giving you enough power to start the engine.

VEHICLE: 2009 TOYOTA SIENNA 3.5L : : V6 : GAS

RedTop: High-CCA starting battery. Provides engine cranking power for vehicles with stock or average electrical loads.

YellowTop: Dual-purpose starting and deep cycle battery. Provides engine starting power plus deep cycle capacity to support multiple accessories , demanding electrical systems , and vehicles without alternators.

2 Parts Found
    Group # Description
    35 (8020-164) RedTop®; Battery;
    D35 (8040-218) YellowTop®; Deep Cycle Battery;

Supporting Member

The Optima, and specifically the group 35 size, were discussed early in this topic; the red-top is listed in the comparison table in an early post.

Although the yellow-top Optima line is intended for dual-purpose use, it does not have as much cranking current capacity (at either test temperature, in the same size) as the red-top. The yellow-top does have better low-rate capacity (for deep-cycle use), but at 25 amps (the "reserve capacity") the yellow's advantage is small. I can see getting the yellow-top if running down while parked long-term is an issue, but for normal use the red-top seems like both the more obvious choice and the better specifications. The red-top is also a bit lighter. Neither is a good fit, because in both cases it is a group 35 size (there is no group 24/F/R Optima).

Trivia: according to something I read (sorry, no reference link available), the 24F is a variant of group 24 defined for Ford, who presumably wanted to mount the battery on the opposite side of the engine compartment from General Motors.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by wtzouris
    I can't believe no one mentioned the ultimate battery, the Optima Spiralcell Yellow top with height adaptor.. owned by Interstate, the Optima will last 6-7 years in a Sienna, and can be deep discharged up to 100 times without affecting the life of the battery. it is leak proof because it has a chemical paste instead of liquid sloshing around. the construction is like a six- pack of beer ( 6 cells). I got mine at Costco it is like $175 but worth every penny. I think Optima calls it size 35..I will post more info..
    In my area of SoCal (YMMV), Costco no longer carries the Optima line of batteries. Even when they did have them, I noticed that different locations would carry different ones (RedTop, YellowTop, BlueTop). Most carried the RedTop ONLY (and ONLY in 1 size), while some also carried either the Yellow or Blue, or both. I don't know, but I'm guessing that they didn't sell too well. It also looks like they have been consolidating/shrinking the models of regular car batteries that they stock. There are very few sizes available these days. I don't know if that is a reflection of car manufacturers beginning to specify the same few common battery sizes, or if it is because Costco is cutting back on less popular sizes to reduce their inventory levels....or a combination of both factors.

I've always been intrigued by them and I had often considered trying an Optima (in past cars too), but found that I never managed to convince myself that the extra premium price (even with Costco's lower pricing) was worth the incremental benefits. But that's just me....

YMMV.
    Good Luck!! 8)
    2004 XLE Ltd FWD Phantom Grey Pearl/Stone // 140K miles
    . Pod-Style Running Boards
    . OEM Hood Deflector (wimpy-version)
    . 'kmead/SeanY' Rear-Wiper Salute
    . 'mungpat' DIY Cabin Air Filter $$$-Saver
    . Michelin HydroEdge (ex-Yokohama TRZ) ... looking for replacements
    . Costco/Kirkland #9 battery
    . Longer front wipers
    . Britax Frontier 90

Hmm, I didn't know later Sienna's of the 2nd generation switched to group 35 batteries. Can you still fit the 24F in them?

My 2004 came with a 24F, and I replaced it with a Duralast Gold 24F last year. The 24F has more CCA and reserve time while being cheaper than the 35. I think given the choice there is no reason to go with the 35 when you can use the 24F.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by bcwang
    Hmm, I didn't know later Sienna's of the 2nd generation switched to group 35 batteries.
    I don't think the switch was ever made, except in the listings of battery suppliers who want to carry fewer models of product.

Quote Originally Posted by bcwang
    The 24F has more CCA and reserve time while being cheaper than the 35. I think given the choice there is no reason to go with the 35 when you can use the 24F.
    I agree!

Well i got the wal-mart energizer max 108-35n for my 2004 sienna, since that was the only recommendation in the battery selector group. But my question is the terminals are reversed, so how do i get around that plus what is the right way to remove the bar holding the OEM battery in place.

Thanks

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by snub17
    Well i got theWilmar energizer max 108-35n for my 2004 sienna, since that was the only recommendation in the battery selector group. But my question is the terminals are reversed, so how do i get around that plus what is the right way to remove the bar holding the OEM battery in place.

Thanks
    I just replaced my Toyota battery today (tested bad with a bad cell). Sad thing is it was only 2 yrs old according to the date sticker on top. It came with the van when I bought it used and when I talked to the dealership they said I had to have the receipt for any warranty claims since it was not the original battery. I went to Walmart instead and the Walmart guide recommended the Energizer Maxx 24FS for me on my 07 Sienna. It was an easy swap and perfect fit. I am not sure why it did not recommend the 24f(s)(s is for south, I live in Florida) for you. If they have a group 24F size battery available, I would return the 35n and exchange it for the 24F as this would be a better battery and you would not have to deal with the reversed terminals. I have attached some pics of the replacement for anyone interested. General steps are:

safety first,
    You should always wear acid-resistant gloves, goggles, and an apron. Also, no smoking or sparks around a car battery. Batteries give off Hydrogen gas which can explode if ignited by a spark

1: Disconnect the cable terminals from the old battery's terminals (negative/black first and then positive/red). All nuts and bolts are 10mm so you only need one wrench.

2. Remove the frame or bracket holding the battery in place,
    The rear most nut on the bracket is threaded to a rod which has a hook on the end of it. The hook fits into a slot near the bottom of the battery tray. You do not deed to remove the nut but just loosen it enough to allow the hook to slip out of the anchor point.
    Then remove the forward most bolt on the bracket. Remove the bracket.

3. Lift the old battery out.

4. Clean the cable terminals with a wire brush and baking soda and water if they're corroded or dirty. Also there is a plastic battery tray at the bottom that just lifts out and should be cleaned and returned to position.

5. Lower the new battery into position, with the positive and negative poles in the same relative positions as before.

6. Reattach the hold down bracket by reinserting the hook of the hold down rod back into the anchor point and snugging up the nut finger tight. This will allow you to move the battery to line up the second bolt in the hold down bracket. Tighten the bolts securely (do not overtighten).

7. Connect the cables to the new battery securely - positive to positive and then negative to negative. The cable ends should not be able to move; any looseness can prevent your car from starting.

8. reattach the positive cable cover and you are done!!

Remember to reset you clock, radio station presets and the automatic window functions.

MB Quart Rear Separates
    Polished SS exhaust tip
    glovebox LED light

Thank you very much tbalon, that pictorial was very helpfull with the installation. Actually the Energizer battery fit easily and it was smaller then my 24F battery. Also the terminals werent reversed the wal mart site has the wrong picture. So all in all it works well and it has 800CA and 640CCA, which is better then the OEM 580CCA. Im not quite sure what you meant with the reset but i did change the time on my dash.

Thanks Again

17. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast