BCI Group 24F Replacement Battery - suggestions and sources?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum General discussion forum for Toyota Sienna

Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Sienna.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Sienna Forum today!

View Poll Results: Have you replaced your battery?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

31 43.66%
  • Yes, with a non-OEM size (not Group 24F)

12 16.90%
  • Yes, with the OEM BCI Group 24F size

23 32.39%
  • My Sienna came with a different size

2 2.82%
  • What's a BCI Group?

3 4.23%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: BCI Group 24F Replacement Battery - suggestions and sources?

Supporting Member

BCI Group 24F Replacement Battery - suggestions and sources?

The Sienna - at least the first part of the second generation - uses a BCI Group 24F size of battery. This was a very common size (both my 1984 Tercel and old Chev pickup used it) and is still common as the smallest size in RVs (my travel trailer has one), but it has become much less common recently. Costco doesn't even stock one; Optima doesn't build one. The BCI Group 35 size seems to have replaced it, and since group 35 is the same as or a bit smaller than group 24 in every dimension, some suppliers specify a group 35 for the Sienna. The problem is that the smaller battery has less capacity... and I'm not willing to sacrifice any capacity.

Does anyone have suggestions for a proper 24F replacement, or a report of what you used (if group 24F) or how it has worked?

The battery topic comes up in discussion of batteries going flat due to lights being left on, et cetera, but I don't think that is has been covered yet in this forum as a topic in itself.... but if it has, please point me to it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Re: BCI Group 24F Replacement Battery - suggestions and sources?

Some of what I have seen, just in the signature lines of the 40 most active posters:
    • Costco/Kirkland #9 battery [topspy] (group 35 size?)
    • Everstart Maxx battery [hause07] (rated Best Buy in group 24F by Consumer's Reports)

Here are the other (besides the Everstart Maxx) best-rated group 24F options according to Consumer's Reports:
    • Interstate Mega-Tron Plus MTP-24 (rated best by Consumer's Reports)
    • NAPA Legend Premium 8424 (rated highly by Consumer's Reports)
    • Sears Diehard Gold 33123 (rated highly by Consumer's Reports, but other product by same name rated low)

The OEM battery in my 2004 LE is marked as manufactured for Toyota by Johnson Controls.

PHW

Just put in the Interstate Mega-Tron Plus MTP-24 4 months ago in my 04. My Johnson Control OEM was starting to drain down fast under load so wanted to get it out before the temps dropped. Picked it out via the Consumer Report info and got it cheaper than my typical Sears Diehard buys. Got it from my local garage. Seems solid, topped up the cells at install with a bit of distilled and she hasn't lost a drop since.
    PHW

Supporting Member

Great idea for a topic!!
    I'll have to follow-up another day (after going to Costco to research it more) with "what" my Coscto #9 is.

FYI....[Johnson Controls] is the manufacturer of the [Interstate] brand of batteries. They also make the ones for Costco/Kirkland, as well as many other "brands".....including some of the Sears/DieHards. There are really only a small handful of major consumer automotive battery makers in the world, and Johnson is one of the largest. The [Optima] batteries are also made by them.

One thing to be very careful about with all battery reviews/comparisons is to be sure of the EXACT part/model number. Many battery manufacturers have gone to separate models (with different specs and performance) for "Northern" vs "Southern" regions and climates. Also, the same model line may have different performance characteristics. Those [Interstate Mega-tron PLUS] batteries are highly rated for CERTAIN sizes, BUT a similar plain [Mega-tron] in the same size doesn't match up, and other models within the line may also perform differently.

YMMV.
    Good Luck!! 8)
    2004 XLE Ltd FWD Phantom Grey Pearl/Stone // 140K miles
    . Pod-Style Running Boards
    . OEM Hood Deflector (wimpy-version)
    . 'kmead/SeanY' Rear-Wiper Salute
    . 'mungpat' DIY Cabin Air Filter $$$-Saver
    . Michelin HydroEdge (ex-Yokohama TRZ) ... looking for replacements
    . Costco/Kirkland #9 battery
    . Longer front wipers
    . Britax Frontier 90

Supporting Member

I was in Costco today and checked: their fit for the Sienna is their #8, which is a group 35; their #9 is a group 25, and appears to be identical to a #9/35 except that the positive and negative are reversed in position - thus the cable work required. With the two models having the same size, performance, and price, it seems that the #8 is definitely preferable.

An equivalent terminal reversal happens in the group 24 size as well: I think that our group 24F is reversed from the normal group 24 in my old Chevy (as well as the top versus side terminal difference).
    Correction: according to a BCI size list I found, a group 24R is a reversed 24; our 24F is a longer (by 13mm or 1/2") version of a group 24.

I noticed in a review that the Costco house brand (Kirkland Signature) is built by Johnson Controls. Since I have been satisfied with the OEM battery (it's dying, but it has taken a beating for six years), that's a selling feature for me.

Johnson Controls does a lot of house brands, and I was interested in the Diehard for that connection.

I was not aware of the north/south difference until I read the Consumer Reports article. By their ratings it makes no difference in some cases, but is critical for the Diehard. I assume that I am more than far enough north to get the right one in local stores...

The difference between Interstate's Mega-Tron (MT-24) and Mega-Tron Plus (MTP-24) is huge, and clearly shown in Interstate's published specs. I would consider only the Plus version.

It will be both funny and sad if to get the best battery and best deal I end up with the one I would have got by just hitting WalMart as the cheap and convenient source, but at least I'll have some confidence in what I have chosen!

Supporting Member

I coulda sworn that when I used Costco's Fitment/Application Guidebook that it was a #3 for our 2ndGen Siennas, but I'm probably wrong.

I do remember though that whatever # it was, the dimensions were slightly smaller (except the height was taller) and the specs/rated-capacities were lower than the #9. That's the main reason I had to DIY a spacer for the #9 because the lower height didn't allow the tie-down bracket to grab the battery any more.

Those Sears/DieHard batteries are getting to be ridiculously expen$$$$$ive.... :o :o :o
    2004 XLE Ltd FWD Phantom Grey Pearl/Stone // 140K miles
    . Pod-Style Running Boards
    . OEM Hood Deflector (wimpy-version)
    . 'kmead/SeanY' Rear-Wiper Salute
    . 'mungpat' DIY Cabin Air Filter $$$-Saver
    . Michelin HydroEdge (ex-Yokohama TRZ) ... looking for replacements
    . Costco/Kirkland #9 battery
    . Longer front wipers
    . Britax Frontier 90

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by topspy
    FYI....[Johnson Controls] is the manufacturer of the [Interstate] brand of batteries. They also make the ones for Costco/Kirkland, as well as many other "brands".....including some of the Sears/DieHards. There are really only a small handful of major consumer automotive battery makers in the world, and Johnson is one of the largest. The [Optima] batteries are also made by them.
    It's getting hard to find an automotive battery which is not made by Johnson Controls. Their own brands include Optima (AGM batteries), Varta (mostly in Europe?), LTH (Mexico), and Heliar (South America), but here their products are sold under various "private brands", including
    • Kirkland Signature (Costco house brand)
    • Interstate (major North American battery distributor)
    • DieHard (Sears house brand)
    • EverStart Maxx (WalMart house brand; may not be current supplier but was a few years ago)

Update: I found a web site - AutoBatteries.com - which generally looks like it is independent of any manufacturer, but is actually by Johnson Controls; it seems reasonable to assume that all of the brands listed there are made by Johnson Controls.

I think a problem with the house brands is that the actual manufacturer is unpredictable, because they may change suppliers at any time, and may simultaneously get different models from different manufacturers.

Exide (see Exide automotive) is the only battery manufacturer I have found so far, other than Johnson Controls.

Supporting Member

The premium line from Exide appears to be the Marathon. In that line, there is no Group 24F, but they state:
    The 78DT-M108 battery is also compatible with 24, 24F, and 74 batteries with spacer; or 34, 34R, and 78 batteries without a spacer.
    BCI Group L (mm) W (mm) H (mm)
    24F 273 173 229 OEM size
    78 260 179 196 Exide closest fit
    35 230 175 225 common possible size, e.g. Costco/Kirkland

The group 78 is shorter (which will fit), a bit wider (Marathon 78 must be under standard size if it fits in place of a group 24F), and much shorter in height (thus the spacer).

The group 35 is quite a bit shorter (in length), and in a Marathon has much less capacity (than group 78).

While the fit information is interesting, this brand probably doesn't matter to me because it appears from the retailer list that they are not available here anyway.
    Last edited by brian_bp; 11-21-2012 at 10:49 AM. Reason: fixed formatting wrecked by loss of table in forum software conversion

Replaced battery with Napa Select 8424F
    Fully Optioned 2006 Sienna Limited, Full LED Interior including footwells & consoles, 1st & 2nd Row Center Consoles, Full Weathertech Package, 2011 Big Brake Upgrade, Braided Stainless Brake Line Kit, Michelin Defenders, Raammat & Ensolite Insulation, Prestigious Society Navigation Override, Gen 5 Version 13.1 DVD, Millers Nanodrive 5W30 Oil, HID 5000K Foglight Upgrade,Factory HID's Upgrade to Osram 5000K CBI's, 4G Wifi with Antenna, 4G Amplifier with Antenna, Crossbars removed

Supporting Member

Thanks for the input.

The batteries discussed so far:
    Manufacturer Source Brand Model Part Size "*=Installed by, Notes "
    JCI Toyota dealer - Can Toyota C0PBS 7224F 24F C$131.95 72 mo
    JCI Interstate Mega-Tron Plus MTP-24 24F *PHW (as per Interstate website)
    JCI Sears US DieHard Gold 33123 24F as per Consumers Reports
    East Penn? "Sears Can, Kal Tire" DieHard Gold 624FMF 24F * brian_bp, likely Deka Exact Fit, 24R size
    JCI WalMart US EverStart Maxx MAXX-24FS 24F
    JCI? Autozone Duralast Gold 24F 24F * bobw92
    JCI Advance AutoParts Autostart Gold 24F-6 24F
    JCI Advance AutoParts Autostart Silver 24F-5 24F * Michael9
    Exide? NAPA NAPA Select 8424F 24F * tonystewart
    East Penn? NAPA Canada NAPA Power 24F-6 24F
    East Penn Deka? 1024F 24F
    East Penn Deka? 624FMF 24F
    Exide? Canadian Tire Motomaster M72-24F-600 10-2472-0 24F/72
    JCI (unknown) ACDelco 60 Series ACD24F60 24F CCA=600

JCI (unknown) ACDelco Professional 24R7YR 24R CCA=700
    JCI (unknown) ACDelco Professional 24R6YR 24R CCA=600

JCI Costco U.S. (SoCal) Kirkland US Fit code #3 12865 35 US$56.99 CCA=640 CA=800 RC=100
    JCI Costco Can Kirkland Cdn Fit code #8 207250 35 listed for Sienna
    JCI WalMart Can Energizer Max 108-35N 1016011 35
    JCI WalMart Can Optima RED35 1006383 35 AGM type
    Exide? Canadian Tire Eliminator 35

JCI Costco U.S. (SoCal) Kirkland US Fit code #9 12877 34 *topspy US$67.99 CCA=795 CA=1000 RC=105
    JCI Costco Can Kirkland Cdn Fit code #4 314594 34
    JCI Costco Can Kirkland Cdn Fit code #1 207230 34/78DT
    East Penn? "Sears Can, Kal Tire" DieHard ? 7AG78DT 78 AGM
    Exide Exide Marathon 78DT-M108 78 as per Exide website
    East Penn? NAPA Canada NAPA Legend? DT34/78-7 34/78
    East Penn? NAPA Canada NAPA Platinum DT34/78AG-7 34/78

JCI Costco Can Kirkland Cdn Fit code #3 207190 75 not suitable
    JCI Costco Can Kirkland Cdn Fit code #9 207240 25 not suitable
    JCI Costco U.S. (SoCal) Kirkland Cdn Fit code #8 12873 58 US$64.99 CCA=610 CA=760 RC=90
    JCI WalMart Can EverStart ES60-DT450 1016095 ? "not ""Maxx"" line"
    JCI WalMart Can EverStart ES60-DT550 1016102 ? "not ""Maxx"" line"

Note: JCI = Johnson Controls Inc.

Updated with manufacturer information (see next post).
    Updated with additional models (see later posts).
    Updated with corrected Costco information (see later posts).
    Updated with Sears information - see later post.
    Updated with Advance Auto Parts information - see later post.
    Updated with Canadian Tire information - see later post.
    Updated with NAPA Canada information - see later post.
    Updated with WalMart US information - see later post by tbalon.
    Updated with more WalMart US information from topspy; sorted by BCI group size, formatting changes.
    Updated with ACDelco information from their website after information from wag.
    Updated ACDelco information to show manufacturer as JCI after information from wag - see later post.

Supporting Member

As reported in a TheTruthAboutCars.com discussion...
    According to CR: “Most auto batteries are made by just three manufacturers, Delphi, Exide, and Johnson Controls Industries. Each makes batteries sold under several different brand names. Delphi makes ACDelco and some EverStart (Wal-Mart) models. Exide makes Champion, Exide, Napa, and some EverStart batteries. Johnson Controls makes Diehard (Sears), Duralast (AutoZone), Interstate, Kirkland (Costco), Motorcraft (Ford), and some EverStarts.”
    While not authoritative, this seems plausible, and I have updated the table in my previous post.

Supporting Member

One more manufacturer:
    East Penn (Deka brand)

I installed an Autozone Duralast Gold 24F. Exact same size as OEM.
    2006 Sienna LE
    Blue Mirage Metallic

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by bobw92
    I installed an Autozone Duralast Gold 24F. Exact same size as OEM.
    Thanks - I added this one to the table above. Johnson Controls' brand listing includes Duralast, so I have indicated them as the manufacturer.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by brian_bp
    One more manufacturer:
    East Penn (Deka brand)
    I checked in the East Penn / Deka catalog and found quite a few batteries which they suggest might fit a 2004 Sienna; I added the two most likely candidates to the table (the highest capacity, and the one they called the "best OEM fit")

17. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast