Replacing Spark plugs.
NEWS

1. Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum – General discussion forum for Toyota Sienna

Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Sienna.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Sienna Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacing Spark plugs.

Replacing Spark plugs.

Great forum.
    My 05 LE is 125 K. I need to replace the spark plugs. The 3 front ones seem to be easy, however the 3 on the other side seem to have much more work involved. I will greatly apreciate detailed instructions (with pics if possible) unto how to do this or a link to get detailed information. Thanks in advance. Ed

I just had the timing belt replaced (I know, it was due at 90K), and paid $230.00 at a nearby Toyota dealer, I think that was a good price, the dealer in my hometown wanted $500 or $998 if water pump and engine seals were to be replaced also. I drove to another city and got it for less than half. It is good to shop around. I usually call and inquire over the phone, their tendency is to give you a good price to reel you in.

Thanks.

Ed
    2005 Sienna LE
    2001 Sienna LE
    2006 Corolla CE
    'Be nice to people on your way up... you'll need them on your way down...'

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Replacing Spark plugs

Replacing the back "bank" of spark plugs will require that you remove the Intake Manifold/plenum. Do you have much experience with auto repair work? I ask because it is labor intensive and experience/skill level is important for the job. I would definitely suggest picking up a repair manual from your local auto parts store or researching the procedure before you start.

I believe there is a posting on this site of a 2005 repair manual.
    2004 CE

Ugh. I am dreading this job, too. There isn't any other way to get back there?
    How long are these plugs supposed to last?
    2004 LE AWD
    All in the family...

Quote Originally Posted by 94dlx
    Replacing the back "bank" of spark plugs will require that you remove the Intake Manifold/plenum. Do you have much experience with auto repair work? I ask be cause it is labor intensive and experience/skill level is important for the job. I would definitely suggest picking up a repair manual from your local auto parts store or researching the procedure before you start.

I believe there is a posting on this site of a 2005 repair manual.
    Thank you 94.
    I am not an auto mechanic but I enjoy working on my cars.
    Do I need to separate the intake plenum from the throttle body in order to lift the plenum to access the firewall spark plugs or can they (plenum and throttle body) be lifted together?
    I saw two metal brackets attached to the throttle body from behind which seems very hard to access.
    I checked that post 2005 repair manual but is not specific on the above.

Thanks for any instructions in this regard.
    Ed
    2005 Sienna LE
    2001 Sienna LE
    2006 Corolla CE

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by bmwpower
    How long are these plugs supposed to last?
    A long time... 125,000 miles is ten times the life of a spark plug from a couple of decades ago. At that rate, most vehicles only need one spark plug change in their entire life.

From the 2004 edition of the Owners Manual Supplement for Canada:
    Replace iridium spark plugs every 192,000 km
    That's about 120,000 miles.

Supporting Member

For what it is worth. I have 270,000 KMs on my original plugs. Still runs great. I have found some info see below. It is nothing great but shows location of the brackets. I think you can leave the throttle body attached by the looks of it.

It is not for replacing the spark plugs but shows some info on the intake.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2004 CE
    AIR LIFT '1000'
    OVERHEAD 'DEALER' DVD
    'HITCH CITY' 2' HITCH
    Support 'SIENNACHAT' HERE

Q: Do I need to separate the intake plenum from the throttle body in order to lift the plenum to access the firewall spark plugs or can they (plenum and throttle body) be lifted together?

I would recommend lifting them out together to avoid breaking the gasket seals on the connections between the two units. Just make sure all the brackets are disconnected on the firewall side of the engine first.

"I saw two metal brackets attached to the throttle body from behind which seems very hard to access."

Yes, they are barely visible from underneath the vehicle so you will be working by "feel" only.
    Be sure to check out the file in the posting above as it illustrates the brackets. I wish I would have had that before I jumped in to my project! Thanks robo5!!!
    2004 CE

In essence, THERE IS NOT A STEP BY STEP GUIDE available that will show those of us who are DYSs, but who are not official auto mechanics. It seems that Toyota has this very well hidden so there is no other option but to bring our vehicles to their service department to be ripped off. Amazing !

Ed
    2005 Sienna LE
    2001 Sienna LE
    2006 Corolla CE

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...there was a write up by a fella from SiennaClub who did the rear plugs from under the vehicle and removed nothing. It was on a 1MZ engine, but the 3MZ is nearly identical. Man I wish there was some way to locate old info like that.

That is a good possibility, however one may need to work using a garage type lift so you can bring the car to the proper level and be able to do the job from underneath.

I was able to change the spark plugs on my 2001 Sienna. There is much more room to work around the intake plenum and is much easier than the 05 LE. (I still do not dare to do the spark plugs on my 05).

I did remove wiper arm and blade assemblies,
    the head to cowl top seal, disconnected the window washer hose,
    and the 2 ventilator louvers.
    Remove the 11 bolts and disconnected wiper motor connector,
    and removed the cowl top ventilator louver.
    And last removed the heater air duct.
    It was really easy to do this far.

Removing and replacing the three spark plugs located up against the firewall was a little difficult but can be done. I managed to squeeze my hands in between, above and behind, got a few scratches but am very glad to have it done.

All the work took me some 2.5 hours.
    Ed
    2005 Sienna LE
    2001 Sienna LE
    2006 Corolla CE

Supporting Member

so supervan.................you did replace the rear plugs juts be squeeziong youhad behind the phlenum/manifold and were able to get to the plugs and replace them...correct.......please share your thoughts.............
    6000K HID bulbs all round head light and fog lights
    Lolloyd's rubber mats all round
    Air Lift kit
    OEM color matched running board
    Installed OEM toyota Dual port hitch system
    I pod hook up kit
    Dual piston 2011 Sienna brake upgrade
    Bug Deflector
    LED interior bulbs all round
    Bull Dog Remote strater
    Parrot blue tooth system
    Other Ride - Mercedes Benz [ 2007-C280 4matic & 2002-C230 6MT Kompressor]

Quote Originally Posted by javvy
    so supervan.................you did replace the rear plugs juts be squeeziong youhad behind the phlenum/manifold and were able to get to the plugs and replace them...correct.......please share your thoughts.............
    Correct, I DID NOT remove the intake plenum/manifold, nor the throttle body nor the air cleaner assembly.
    Of course the already mentioned items in my previous post need to be removed in order to open room and access from above. But those are really easy to remove and install back.
    I used different ratchet 3/8 extensions to reach and pull out the old spark plugs as well as to install the new ones.
    When removing the middle coil (#3) I had to disconnect the wires from the coil itself in order to get it out.
    The space under the plenum/throttle connection allows one to insert one's right hand and tools. When inserting the socket extensions one needs to guide it into the hole with one's right hand.
    The new plugs I initiated with the spark plug socket and extension without the ratchet.
    I don't have small hands nor big.
    I was a good challenging experience for me. I'd probably wait for the weather to get a little warmer to try my 05.
    Ed
    2005 Sienna LE
    2001 Sienna LE
    2006 Corolla CE

Wow! Supervan is a Superman for sure! I wish I would have tried it that way. If it would have worked for me, it would have saved a tremendous amount of time.

I wonder how they do it at the dealership? I know they have SST (Special Service Tools) specifically designed to get around tight corners and into crevices.

Thanks for sharing as I will try your way next time.
    2004 CE

After that many miles, were the plugs " frozen" or did they come out easily?

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe
    After that many miles, were the plugs " frozen" or did they come out easily?
    Easy.
    Actually I was concerned about that too. I don't have a way of knowing if the plugs were replaced by the previous owner (I bought this van with 83K miles), I assume he did, however the van ran very good before changing the plugs.
    This van was originally sold in New England, I bought it at a auto dealer here in Northern Florida.

Ed
    2005 Sienna LE
    2001 Sienna LE
    2006 Corolla CE

17. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast