Lubricating sliding door track
NEWS

1. Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum General discussion forum for Toyota Sienna

Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Sienna.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Sienna Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lubricating sliding door track

Lubricating sliding door track

2007 sienna
    what kind of lubrbrication i could use for sliding door tracks and how much should there be?
    Can i use general all purpose grease?

my sliding door track has almost no lube and when operating has annoying sound from roller & track.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Lubricating sliding door track

I lube our's a few times a year. I use only silicone spray. Anything petroleum based, like WD-40 and many types of grease, can rot out plastic components. This includes the plastic sheathing that protects the drive cables for the sliding doors.

I'll also add that a couple of times a year I wipe out both the upper and lower tracks with a towel with de-greaser on it. 409 or Simple Green work great. I do this because I've noticed that the tracks, especially the lower ones, tend to collect a fair amount of dirt and crud.

Quote Originally Posted by Family Buggy
    I'll also add that a couple of times a year I wipe out both the upper and lower tracks with a towel with de-greaser on it. 409 or Simple Green work great. I do this because I've noticed that the tracks, especially the lower ones, tend to collect a fair amount of dirt and crud.
    So remove all grease and only use silicon spray couple times year? any recommendation on silicon spray?

Quote Originally Posted by javastring
    So remove all grease and only use silicon spray couple times year? any recommendation on silicon spray?
    You'll probably not find much grease in there to begin with. But yes, I wipe out the upper and lower tracks, especially after winter, 2 or 3 times a year. Then I lube the areas where the rollers make contact with the tracks. I also lube the cable on my power slider as well.

6 years in to it, our sliders operate as smooth as butter...and the power slider is still going strong. And with 2 kids...man as that power slider gotten more than it's share of work outs! :o

You can find silicone lube anywhere...Wal-Mart, Advanced Auto Parts, AutoZone, etc., etc. $2-$4 a can...at the most.

EDIT: merged text/posts per request
    BY: topspy/Mod-Squad

I used Lucas synthetic heavy duty grease. It comes in a big tube. I lubed everything with my finger including the tracks, doors, etc.
    Like Butta!!

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by LoveWagN
    I used Lucas synthetic heavy duty grease... I lubed everything with my finger including the tracks, doors, etc.
    I hope this works out, but there is no chance that I would consider doing this, knowing that dust will turn that grease into high-drag sludge very soon... your conditions may vary.

I dont think it should. Its made for construction tractors/equiptment, farm equiptment, RV's, etc which should see alot more dirt than my van should ever see. That being said, if I am wrong, I will repost the results later. At worst, it wouldnt be any harder to take off then the factory grease I just removed with a rag and degreaser.

Took it to Florida, its been through a ton of car washes, rain, dusty roads, and the synthetic is still there, no dirt, and they are super slick sliders now. You have to make sure you dont slam the doors now.

Any one use White Lithium Grease?

positive/negatives

Quote Originally Posted by cmarks
    Any one use White Lithium Grease?

positive/negatives
    You are better off using silicone spray.
    2004 Sienna LE 7 in White 156K miles w/ alloys, power sliding door, homelink, trip computer, DVD, DRL mod.
    1995 Odyssey LX in White 246K miles.

I agree with the no-grease there. I prefer by far a light lubricant ( spray on ) for stuff like that
    Sienna CE 2009 Canadian version

I use a silicon spray and it seems to work well. I would also consider a lubricant made for the sliding tracks on RVs and campers - it claims not to gunk up as well.

What is the official word from Toyota regarding the lubrication/grease for the sliding doors? I use silicone spray for all the rubber parts whenever I crawl under to do an oil change (CV boots, etc.) I use another type of grease for my S2000 convertible top (I think it's similar to white lithium grease) to grease all the rubber parts related to the doors seals/convertible seals. I also use white lithium grease for door hinges and metal contact points. So what's the verdict for my van's sliding doors?

I recommend you got get a lubricant spray.
    Find the best car seat covers here.

17. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements