Replacement Shocks and Struts
NEWS

1. Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum – General discussion forum for Toyota Sienna

Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Sienna.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Sienna Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replacement Shocks and Struts

Replacement Shocks and Struts

Hi All!

I need to replace the struts and shocks on my 2004 LE AWD.

What brand do you recommend for a replacement??

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Replacement Shocks and Struts

I don't have an answer to your question but a related question. How do you tell if you need to replace shocks and struts? do you replace both springs and shocks or just one? I have 05 with 85k miles that I will keep for a while and have been wondering whether I should replace them now before I have a problem.

Well for my case, I have clanking sound from the LF and RF as I go over bumps and holes. Also, there is some leaking. My struts and strut mounts definitely need changed, but the springs are OK. So, I will use the old springs on these.

Anyway, I need to know what is the best brand of strut/shocks to get for a Sienna. I have not found any Bilstiens for these. So KYB? But, I thought I read somewhere that someone said these are leaky items, too. So, get Toyota replacements from the Stealership parts store?? Do you get the lieftime replacement warranty on these if you install them yourself? Seems like some folks don't like the Monroes, or have not heard about OES Genuine's reputation.

Sure would like to know what you all think is the best strut/shock to get for this vehicle.

BTW...Stealership wanted $1250 to replace the struts/shocks on my Sienna. I said "Thank-you," and walked out the door.

doing a quick search oem front struts $110 on line (autopartspeople) and the back is just a shock $27 at least for a 2008 model not to bad apx $275
    2008 Sienna LE 2WD Blue Mirage
    Mods Airlift 1000 air bags
    Toyota Sienna door sill protectors
    Kenwood Dnx 6160 dvd/nav w 14' monitor
    Chrome exhaust tip (he he)
    Activated DRL's

Supporting Member

You might want to check with another member of our forum who has a brand new set of struts for sale, KYB's I think...

Here: http://siennachat.com/forum/index.php/topic,2403.0.html

2007 Sienna LE, Silver shadow pearl, DRL
    Sound Insulated with Peel and Seal
    MB Quart Rear Separates
    Chrome LED Side view mirror covers
    Polished SS exhaust tip
    glovebox LED light
    uluahunter LED lightstrip mod (24 LED rear amber turn signals and 120 LED brake light)
    96 LED rear storage light

Hello,
    I am also in dire need of struts, shocks and tires. I have been looking at KYB as I have been told they are the oem supplier for toyota. True or not who knows. I have had positive experience with KYB before. I have 117K on my 04 xle ltd and the shocks are done. Tire rack has the struts for $76 each plus shipping but I have been told to be sure to do strut mounts and spring isolators as the rubber tends to break down and cause squeaks and rattles and unstable alignment. The dealership will do the installation for $290 (both sides) not including the align. I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with nanking tires. I have been using kuhmo kh16 (225/60/17) with really good results. I live in florida and wet traction is very important. These tires have a AA traction rating and I can verify they are good in the wet. I have been getting 38-40K miles on these tires but now they are selling for about 100 bucks each. First set I bought in 06 cost $65 each. I just need to keep this safe and roadworthy for another year or two.
    Any input will be appreciated.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by igedoc
    do you replace both springs and shocks or just one?
    Springs are unlikely to need replacement in the entire life of the vehicle, but they do occasionally sag or break. If the vehicle sits at a normal height when stationary, the springs are likely fine. If they are replaced, they are normally replaced in pairs (that is, left and right side) so they stay matched; the same replacement-in-pairs applies to shocks/struts.

Shock condition, on the other hand, can only be assessed in motion; they exist to absorb energy and thus stop bouncing, so if the Sienna doesn't keep bouncing up and down after going over a single bump, the shocks (struts in the front) must be in at least somewhat reasonable shape.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by kidlimodriver
    I have been looking at KYB as I have been told they are the oem supplier for toyota. True or not who knows.
    KYB could be an OEM supplier, but as with any OEM source the product offered for aftermarket retail purchase may not be the same at that supplied to the OEM (Toyota). Different customers (us and Toyota) have different priorities and thus may get different products.

KYB is a long-established manufacturer which certainly has produced good products, but I don't know specifically about the shocks and struts for the Sienna (any generation).

KYB makes pretty good quality shocks/struts, lots of autocrossers have had good experience with the KYB products. their sport shocks are known for being fairly stiff, but i'm not sure how their street shocks are set up.

i heard bilstein supplies some of the shocks for TRD suspensions on trucks (like the pre-runner), but i don't know about their OEM supplier for passenger cars.

Supporting Member

if you go over a bump/hump/pothole and if you feel as if you are sitting in a boat rather than a car then for sure your struts are busted.........see in a car if the struts are in superb condition the bouce stalabizes almost immediately...............if your van keeps bouncing around and does not stop or minimizes after a short duration of time............it is time for new struts............springs almost never fail but the sudden recoil action of the compressed spring is controlled by the hydraulic struts and if they are leaking or busted then the vehicle will take its time to stabaize the recoil.......just take off the tire push the shock boot and touch an feel the steel rod :o and see/feel for oil leackage and you will know for sure if you need new struts......hope this helps.....

javvy
    6000K HID bulbs all round head light and fog lights
    Lolloyd's rubber mats all round
    Air Lift kit
    OEM color matched running board
    Installed OEM toyota Dual port hitch system
    I pod hook up kit
    Dual piston 2011 Sienna brake upgrade
    Bug Deflector
    LED interior bulbs all round
    Bull Dog Remote strater
    Parrot blue tooth system
    Other Ride - Mercedes Benz [ 2007-C280 4matic & 2002-C230 6MT Kompressor]

Hello All,
    I'm sharing my strut experience on my fwd 04 Ltd with 117K of heavy suburban driving. My Kumho KH16's were done at 37K with notable scolloping. Drivability was ok with one or two people, 4 or more produced excessive body roll and wandering at 80mph.
    Front KYB components installed: shock mounts, GR-2 replacement struts, upper and lower coil spring isolators, strut bellows.
    Front Moog stabilizer links.
    Front disks resurface and new pads.
    I would not use the KYB Upper insulator or the bellows/bumper again. The latest toyota upper insulator incorporates the boot into one unit and appears to be a better part. The original shocks were marked KYB Made in USA.
    Rear KYB shocks installed
    4 new KYB KH-16's installed, blalance and align.
    The difference is close to remarkable. Turn in is much crisper with much less body roll and noticeable decrease in nose dive and controllability under braking. Much smoother at hwy. speeds thanks to the new tires but there is a increase in road feel through the steering wheel. this isn't necessarily a bad thing it is just different to be able to tell the difference between asphalt gravel and concrete .
    Bottom line cost was about $1700.00
    I appreciate the forums contributors

^thanks for your input! i plan on redoing the front suspension in the spring...kyb and moog suspension bits are on my list. i found the same thing with the KYB bellows and bump stops on my Mazda Protege5. The bellows are shorter than OE and the stops are exposed. the OE bellows covered the stops and were a more pliable rubber vs plastic-like kyb (hopefully they won't crack in the winter). a complete new suspension is a real treat, enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by kidlimodriver
    Hello All,
    I'm sharing my strut experience on my fwd 04 Ltd with 117K of heavy suburban driving. My Kumho KH16's were done at 37K with notable scolloping. Drivability was ok with one or two people, 4 or more produced excessive body roll and wandering at 80mph.
    Front KYB components installed: shock mounts, GR-2 replacement struts, upper and lower coil spring isolators, strut bellows.
    Front Moog stabilizer links.
    Front disks resurface and new pads.
    I would not use the KYB Upper insulator or the bellows/bumper again. The latest toyota upper insulator incorporates the boot into one unit and appears to be a better part. The original shocks were marked KYB Made in USA.
    Rear KYB shocks installed
    4 new KYB KH-16's installed, blalance and align.
    The difference is close to remarkable. Turn in is much crisper with much less body roll and noticeable decrease in nose dive and controllability under braking. Much smoother at hwy. speeds thanks to the new tires but there is a increase in road feel through the steering wheel. this isn't necessarily a bad thing it is just different to be able to tell the difference between asphalt gravel and concrete .
    Bottom line cost was about $1700.00
    I appreciate the forums contributors
    kidlimodriver

do you have part numbers for all of the suspension parts you replaced? i am going to buy the parts soon to take advantage of the strong canadian dollar. thanks

strut mounts for 2004 FWD 7 passenger?

i know the struts are different for FWD 7 vs AWD or FWD 8 and kyb does not make mounts for the FWD 7 even though rocksouto lists the same mount for all models. so what aftermarket mounts will work on an 04 FWD 7? Monroe lists the same part number (904989) for all models up until June 2005. The Moog parts cataloge lists K90658 for BASE model so if that is referreing to a FWD7 than that should work. I'll contact them to make sure. (EDIT: Moog K90658 is for FWD 7)

kidlimodriver is your 04 ltd awd or fwd? did you use the KYB boots made for the 1st generation sienna? since KYB does not make boots for the second generation.

(EDIT: Raybestos 5201402 is supposed to work on all 04 models)

16. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements