Have you ever Dropped the Oil Pan?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum General discussion forum for Toyota Sienna

Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Sienna.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Sienna Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Have you ever Dropped the Oil Pan?

jc
    Devoted Member

Have you ever Dropped the Oil Pan?

Good Evening Fellow Sienna worshippers,

As the winter weather sets in, call me nuts or overtorqued Has anybody every dropped their Oil pan (Lower pan) which holds the drain plug, snapped some pictures and cleaned it out?

I'm planning on doing this soon. Do you know if the 1st Gen Sienna has a rubber/cork gasket or do I use one of those hi temp sealants on it?

I also have a fumoto drain valve attached, so I'm thinking to let all the oil drain out and then once it's dripping to remove the pan without taking off the valve (of course close the valve back first) to see the level of oil left in the pan. Yes I will be taking pictures of all of this.

I've read stories of other folks on bobistheoilguy where they dropped their pans and found paper oil filter media bits in the pan or stuck to the oil pickup tube.

Anyhow, I'm curious and since I've dropped my Tranny pan three times and never the oil pan, my oil pan is feeling a little neglected! LOL

Any feedback from my fellow Brethren about this appreciated.

Regards, JC.
    1998 Sienna XLE Silver Spruce Metallic
    Air Lift 1000's
    Bridgestone Ecopia Summer/Bridgestone Blizzaks Winter
    270,xxx kms

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Re: Have you ever Dropped the Oil Pan?

Looking forward to seeing what you find JC... Have you always used a synthetic oil in the van or dino?
    2007 Sienna LE, Silver shadow pearl, DRL
    Sound Insulated with Peel and Seal
    MB Quart Rear Separates
    Chrome LED Side view mirror covers
    Polished SS exhaust tip
    glovebox LED light
    uluahunter LED lightstrip mod (24 LED rear amber turn signals and 120 LED brake light)
    96 LED rear storage light

Supporting Member

I've never dropped the oil pan on anything except as required for some larger job or related problem, such as the leak around the pan on our Triumph Spitfire.

It might be interesting, although I can't remember offhand if it would be practical to do - the pan is installed before the engine goes in the vehicle, and in most cases is never removed, so it doesn't need to be serviceable in this way.

I don't know why you would ever need to drop the oil pan...unless you are replacing a piston or something. Seems like one of those "if you don't want to know the answer, then don't ask the question type of things". My Honda Civic with 210K miles has never had the oil pan dropped, even after I replaced the head gasket. Still runs fine, and I really don't need to know what things look like in the lower half of the engine. Just seems like an opportunity to create more leaks etc...

jc
    Devoted Member

Thanks for the feedback guys.

The same could be said for dropping the transmission pan. Toyota says that they only recommend a drain and fill on the tranny.

I've had my 98 Since 2006 (I'm the second owner). I've also used the gunk motor flush on this engine every two years justd prior to getting an emissions test done. I used to use Dino in the summer and full synthetic in the winter, but I switched over to full synthetic year around 2 years ago.

I'm not really worried about leaks. Hey I just did the timing belt on this van this summer, so If I can do that, then dropping the pan is no big sweat. I just want to see how dirty the bottom of the pan is.
    I'm not expecting a big shocker.

I'm heading to pennsylvania for the Thanksgiving weekend, so the following weekend when I get back I'll be changing oil and dropping the pan. Stay tuned!

Regards, JC.
    Air Lift 1000's
    270,xxx kms

The oil pan on my 2003 looks easy to remove (your 1998 should be pretty much identical).
    I think TOYOTA used the RTV sealant.....so be careful to avoid bending the pan seating area.
    I bought a gasket for mine......the only gasket that I found online was a cork gasket.
    I located a rubber gasket for the transmission pan.
    I have NOT removed the oil pan on mine as of yet.

As a side note, out of curiosity, I decided to compare the oil filter for my old windstar to the Sienna one......using the WIX website.
    I found that they are identical....except that the one listed for my Windstar is slightly longer.
    Using FRAM numbers (the only filter of theirs that I like is their XG series).
    I have used WIX and Purolator Pure One.
    The one listed for the Sienna is the XG3614......the longer one is the XG3600.
    The base is IDENTICAL, the bypass valve is identical (pressure release point).
    I figure......a little more filtration surface area for the same price.

jc
    Devoted Member

Wiswind,

I'm also switching to an oversized oil filter (based on your experience and website photos). I've got the Napa 1516 (which is actually part number 21516 since It's the Napa Select - one step below the Napa gold oil filters).

I will post pics of everthing once it's done.

Regards, JC.
    Air Lift 1000's
    270,xxx kms

jc
    Devoted Member

I Tried to remove the oil pan this afternoon. After draining the oil and removing the bolts the pan was firmly in place with the adhesive used by Toyota. I tried to gently pry it off with a scraper
    but I didn't want to distort the pan, so I decided not to drop the pan. I guess I could have given a few firm hits with a rubber mallet etc., but I didn't want to dent the pan.

I did however upgrade to an oversized oil filter. See the pictures for difference in the
    size.

I searched the web and found it can be a pain to remove pans that seem to be welded on. Appears to be an easier job when the engine is removed from the vehicle. Since that isn't going to happen in this case, I'll leave well enough alone.

Regards, JC.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Air Lift 1000's
    270,xxx kms

Kind of the same choice I made....that sealant making bending the lip a possibility made me shy away from messing with the oil pan.

11. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements