Has anyone installed a backup camera on their Sienna?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum – General discussion forum for Toyota Sienna

Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Sienna.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Sienna Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Has anyone installed a backup camera on their Sienna?

Has anyone installed a backup camera on their Sienna?

I just bought a backup camera at Costco and am planning to install it on my 2004 Sienna. If anyone can give me some pointers they would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Re: Has anyone installed a backup camera on their Sienna?

http://siennachat.com/forum/index.php/board,14.0.html

Check out this great info with pics
    2004 CE
    AIR LIFT '1000'
    OVERHEAD 'DEALER' DVD
    'HITCH CITY' 2' HITCH
    Support 'SIENNACHAT' HERE

I have installed the backup camera an my 2005 Sienna. (wired)
    you can purchase from: eonon.com
    I purchased this one a year and a half ago.

Attached Images Attached Images

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by vuala

Hey vuala. How did you run the wire coming out of the camera? I do not want to cut into that rubber protector between the hatch and the body of the van, nor do I want to drill holes into the metal.

I had installed a wireless back up camera from Costco. I cut into the back up lights to power the camera. I would like to have this camera on at all times so I can see if a state trooper or anyone else for that matter when I'm on the freeway. Kinda tough if I have to put it in reverse to turn the darn thing on.

Supporting Member

you can purchase from: eonon.com ...
    Thanks for the information.

I think it's interesting that the product is billed as both "High Definition" and using the NTSC video transmission standard, since there is no such thing as High Definition NTSC. If it is one, it can't be the other. It may still be a perfectly good product, but it's not what it claims to be. I suspect that it does use an NTSC signal, and is not High Definition... meaning that its resolution is not as high as any of the high-def standards, which start at 720 horizontal lines.

I don't know how much resolution is required for a useful backup camera, but standard-definition (like NTSC) cameras have been used on buses and motorhomes for many years, and have apparently worked out well.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by jh818
    How did you run the wire coming out of the camera? I do not want to cut into that rubber protector between the hatch and the body of the van, nor do I want to drill holes into the metal.
    If the camera is mounted under the bumper, rather than on the hatch, then the same route can be used as for trailer wiring, including the option of coming up through the grommeted hole in floor of the well where the third-row seat stows.

Quote Originally Posted by jh818
    I would like to have this camera on at all times so I can see if a state trooper or anyone else for that matter when I'm on the freeway.
    I thought that backup cameras were for seeing the area which is not visible through the rear-view mirrors. It's easy to hid a kid's bike in the driveway right up behind the bumper... but a whole State Trooper's car? Isn't traffic on the freeway visible in the mirrors?

Hey vuala. How did you run the wire coming out of the camera? I do not want to cut into that rubber protector between the hatch and the body of the van, nor do I want to drill holes into the metal.

The wires goes along side between the carpet and the side plate of the doors all the way to the back up to the hatch.
    You will need to drill a hole in the hatch for the wire for the camera. The kit supplied the wire but was to short so you will need to get an extention for the camera.

I had installed a wireless back up camera from Costco. I cut into the back up lights to power the camera. I would like to have this camera on at all times so I can see if a state trooper or anyone else for that matter when I'm on the freeway. Kinda tough if I have to put it in reverse to turn the darn thing on.

if you want to have it on when you start the car, connect the back up wire to the auxiliry power. This will turn the monitor on.I have posted picture on Siennaclub. if i find the picture i will post.

Quote Originally Posted by brian_bp
    you can purchase from: eonon.com ...
    Thanks for the information.

I think it's interesting that the product is billed as both "High Definition" and using the NTSC video transmission standard, since there is no such thing as High Definition NTSC. If it is one, it can't be the other. It may still be a perfectly good product, but it's not what it claims to be. I suspect that it does use an NTSC signal, and is not High Definition... meaning that its resolution is not as high as any of the high-def standards, which start at 720 horizontal lines.

I don't know how much resolution is required for a useful backup camera, but standard-definition (like NTSC) cameras have been used on buses and motorhomes for many years, and have apparently worked out well.

This is not a true HD monitor but picture quality is crystal clear.

Supporting Member

Looks like a nice system (except for the short wires). I would imagine there might be some newer models available now.

Most rear cameras do not provide enough "zoom" for you to see that far to the rear with any usefulness (they are more for wide-angle coverage of the immediate area behind your car, as [brian_bp] also pointed out). If you have a law enforcement vehicle behind you, you really should be able to see it in your rear view mirror(s).

YMMV.
    Good Luck!! 8)
    2004 XLE Ltd FWD Phantom Grey Pearl/Stone // 140K miles
    . Pod-Style Running Boards
    . OEM Hood Deflector (wimpy-version)
    . 'kmead/SeanY' Rear-Wiper Salute
    . 'mungpat' DIY Cabin Air Filter $$$-Saver
    . Michelin HydroEdge (ex-Yokohama TRZ) ... looking for replacements
    . Costco/Kirkland #9 battery
    . Longer front wipers
    . Britax Frontier 90

No drilling is needed. There is an unused grommet in the rear door behind the trim above the license plate. It is a little traumatic removing the trim on the inside of the door, but it isn't all that bad. The link in one of the above posts shows all the details.

I heard one fellow say he had hooked the camera up to the parking light instead of the backup light so he can turn it on anytime - and it is always on when the parking lights are.

I don't care for the view from the license plate. It is difficult to tell how close things are. I think it would be better to mount the camera inside the van, high up on the back window so it looks down and you can see the bumper as well as the area behind. This would be wonderful when backing up to a cement wall or post. From inside, you could run wires to the front, perhaps into a cigarette lighter plug, and have a switch to turn both the monitor and the camera on at the same time. I did this on our small motorhome and it is terrific. Nice to be able to watch the bicycles mounted on the back as we drive.
    2004 Sienna CE, Alberta Canada

Vuala, any chance we could see pictures how the mirror performs as a rearview mirror? I see that Eonon has a few new products available, but it is still difficult to assess whether or not the monitor performs properly as a regular mirror, as well as a monitor… Been hunting the web for a while but no reviews of Eonon's rearview monitors anywhere! Thank you.

ar

I am planning to hook up a backup camera to my Sienna 2006.

Looking at this one from Costco.com:

http://tinyurl.com/4sxlvfh

Have any of used this one? Have any opinions/reviews you can share? Also, would this be easy to install?

Thanks.

It doesn't look all that difficult to install do a search of this site for back up camera and you will find other members that did what you are about to do . Also there are many types of back up cameras out there look at the crutchfield web site there are ones that are built into the license plate holder,can hardly tell that they are there. Good luck keep us posted .

http://www.siennachat.com/forum/index.php?topic=53.0

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_277650/...ras.html?tp=83

2008 Sienna LE 2WD Blue Mirage
    Mods Airlift 1000 air bags
    Toyota Sienna door sill protectors
    Kenwood Dnx 6160 dvd/nav w 14' monitor
    Chrome exhaust tip (he he)
    Activated DRL's

I did install such a system last weekend on my 2004 Sienna. I bought a Boyo system through e-bay, VTL-420C license plate camera and VTM600M mirror/monitor. I wanted a wired system; I read that the wireless systems have problems with interferences, like sometimes catching the neighbor's system (image) in a parking lot instead of yours. Don't trust the supplied wiring and installing instructions coming with your system; my (Boyo) instructions suck, really suck, but the system works great once you figure out everything. For one, the Canadian Siennas are not completely identical to the American ones. For example, the license plate bolts (screws) are located on top of the license plate on the Canadian Siennas and on the bottom on American Siennas. If you follow the instructions (which are American), you end up (on Canadian Siennas) with a camera that is installed up-side-down, so, be careful.Try it out before you install everything or you'll end up having to install your monitor up-side-down to compensate.

I ran my wires following the roof. Using a fish line (hard wire), I found easy to run the wires through the rubber sleeve between the body and the hatch door, no need to tear off the rubber sleeve. The color code of the rear lights (when connecting to the reverse, that is) is red/two black lines in the rear hatch. Since I couldn't find it up front under the dash, I ran an extra wire from the red/double black lines wire (in the rear hatch) to the front (under the dash) at the same time I ran the camera wire along the roof and the A pillar so I could get the power only when I'm in reverse. From that point on, it was fairly easy (until I realized that mine was up-side-down. I got that fixed). So, again, please try it out first BEFORE you attach everything and drill holes in your license plate and hatch body!

Good luck!
    Last edited by lucsho; 09-22-2012 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vuala View Post
    [color=red]
    The wires goes along side between the carpet and the side plate of the doors all the way to the back up to the hatch.
    You will need to drill a hole in the hatch for the wire for the camera. The kit supplied the wire but was to short so you will need to get an extention for the camera.
    Hi there,

I am also interested in installing a backup camera on my Toyota Sienna (2004 XLE model). I would like some guidance before I start the project.

I plan on installing the camera on the hatch, at the location where stock cameras normally go.

sienna-backup-camera-route-002.jpg

My desire route for the camera wire is shown in the image below. Since the other end of the camera wire need to be connected to the head unit, I figured running it through the floor is a better option.

sienna-backup-camera-route-001.jpg

Before I start the project, I would like to know how to remove the trims, carpet, molding, etc. properly. I took a temporary subscription to Tech Info Toyota, so I have access to the service manual, collision repair manual, and so on. However, I have not found any specific instructions, yet, as to the proper removal of the trims, carpet, molding, etc. inside the car.

Does anyone have any instructions, suggestions, tips, etc. as to how I can accomplish this? If you have any specific pages or sections on the Sienna '04 service / repair manual that I can refer, please let me know as well, so I can look it up.

Thanks!

17. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements