Block heater install

1. Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum General discussion forum for Toyota Sienna

Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Sienna.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Sienna Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Block heater install

Block heater install

Hello anyone install a block heater and have some tips for installation on my 2008 LE? Thanks!!
    2008 Sienna LE (U.S.) Blue

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

tcp
    Devoted Member

Re: Block heater install

If it was sold through a toyota canada dealer, it will have the block heater already installed. You may have to hunt around inside to find the cord and pull it through the grill. All canadian models have them.

If you have a US imported unit, someone here will pipe up.

Quote Originally Posted by tcp
    If it was sold through a toyota canada dealer, it will have the block heater already installed.
    Really!? I didn't know that, and I've owned a Canadian Sienna since 2004. :o
    main ride: '09 Louis Garneau - Urbania 2.0 bike :-)
    (Sienna is for the family...)

I didn't know that either... I am going to go digging now. Mine is a 2006 I bought used but it was originally purchased through an Ontario Dealership...
    2006 XLE Limited AWD - Silver Pine Mica
    Mods
    - Curt Class III towpackage
    - 7blade wiring harness
    - floormats

tcp
    Devoted Member

If you go to the Build and price section of the toyota canada website, the final statement includes $170 for the block heater with "manditory" in brackets. This hasn't changed since we bought ou 2005. Toyota canada sells every sienna with a block heater.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mines a US model, I just got the cord but am looking to find out how to install it and see if it has it already the dealership said it did, that is why i got the cable.

still stumped on this can't find ny info can anyone help?

tcp
    Devoted Member

You probably don't have a BH installed if it is a US import. Toyota Canada installs the block heater as a port installed option (which is a manditory option) on all siennas. You probably need to have the actual heater part installed.

Quote Originally Posted by whositwhatnow
    still stumped on this can't find ny info can anyone help?

TCP in which province are you ? I'm asking because its not included on the base model CE sold in La Belle Province, model year makes no difference , just for fun try it but choose QC instead of where you live. A block heater is an $140.00 option.
    Sienna CE 2009 Canadian version

tcp
    Devoted Member

interesting. I think my browser remembers me being in AB on the toyota website so it always comes up that way. Must be a lot warmer in QC

Quote Originally Posted by Homer
    TCP in which province are you ? I'm asking because its not included on the base model CE sold in La Belle Province, model year makes no difference , just for fun try it but choose QC instead of where you live. A block heater is an $140.00 option.

Sienna CE 2009 Canadian version

Supporting Member

I grew up in southern Ontario and was surprised to find electrical outlets all over parking lots when when we moved a little further north... they are for block heaters, and no one in southern Ontario would expect to plug in during the day, although many did overnight.

My 1984 Tercel and 2004 Sienna were both purchased in Alberta, and both came with dealer-installed block heaters, both of which were options (extra cost) but mandatory.

Quote Originally Posted by tcp
    interesting. I think my browser remembers me being in AB on the toyota website so it always comes up that way. Must be a lot warmer in QC

Quote Originally Posted by Homer

Caution: my Sienna had low coolant level from when I received it, and again after the radiator was replaced in the voluntary service campaign. In both cases the "service" manager claimed that the cooling system was difficult to bleed properly, so since both operations involved draining and refilling coolant, both resulted in trapped air. I would check - and recheck over time - the coolant level in the reservoir after any cooling system work on the Sienna.

Supporting Member

The coolant does not need to be drained to install the block heater in an 2007 + sienna. It uses a heater that slides into the block with a locking tab. Location is on the back side of the block itself by #5 cylinder. Easy to get to from under the van.Ramps/jack stands. The heater in size is about 4" long and about 1" wide.(approx)

#5 cylinder is closes to the transmission on the back side(firewall side).

I will see if a can get some sort of diagram for the location.
    2004 CE
    AIR LIFT '1000'
    OVERHEAD 'DEALER' DVD
    'HITCH CITY' 2' HITCH
    Support 'SIENNACHAT' HERE

Supporting Member

Good info, Rob. I was forgetting about the engine difference between my 2004 and the current Sienna.

Quote Originally Posted by robo5
    The coolant does not need to be drained to install the block heater in an 2007 + sienna. It uses a heater that slides into the block with a locking tab. Location is on the back side of the block itself by #5 cylinder. Easy to get to from under the van.Ramps/jack stands. The heater in size is about 4" long and about 1" wide.(approx)

#5 cylinder is closes to the transmission on the back side(firewall side).

I will see if a can get some sort of diagram for the location.
    Any update on this? I have a US import and would like to know.. cannot see any BH cable on my 07 LE.

That diagram would be nice, or for those who have/found it, a pic would do just as well.

Thanks.

17. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements