How long did your OEM tires last?

1. Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum General discussion forum for Toyota Sienna

Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Sienna.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Sienna Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How long did your OEM tires last?

How long did your OEM tires last?

I was surprised to get my 30K service and learn that the mechanic thought the OEM Dunlops on my 2008 Sienna XLE FWD would only last about 8K more miles. Is this normal for the OEM tires on the Sienna? I thought tires were lasting longer nowadays.

Anyways, when I do replace, I am planning on replacing with Michelin HydroEdges (which seem to have a very long life ... 80K). Would be glad to hear any thoughts on this tire.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

Re: How long did your OEM tires last?

Mine Dunlop exploded (left rear) at 46K so I had to buy something - bought Avid TRZ. Now - have 7k on Avid - something is better, something - the same. Can't tell - just tires, no surprises. But for me the car is a tool/clothes..you name it, so my opinion is just for statistics, not for emotions

Our OEMs lasted about 40K miles then we replaced them with 80K Michelin of the same size. They have lasted us about 50K. I am not impressed since I thought the factory OEMs were just low mileage "cheapies". I have heard that Siennas eat tires and I think it may be true (at least in my experience).

BUT, it's like topspy says...YMMV!
    2004 CE

Supporting Member

Crapstone Crapranza CrapL-42.....approx 38Kmi.

FYI.....Bridgestone does make some good tires, just not the ones that Toyota instructed them to produce, and/or that were sold to Toyota for this application.

YMMV.
    Good Luck!! 8)
    2004 XLE Ltd FWD Phantom Grey Pearl/Stone // 140K miles
    . Pod-Style Running Boards
    . OEM Hood Deflector (wimpy-version)
    . 'kmead/SeanY' Rear-Wiper Salute
    . 'mungpat' DIY Cabin Air Filter $$$-Saver
    . Michelin HydroEdge (ex-Yokohama TRZ) ... looking for replacements
    . Costco/Kirkland #9 battery
    . Longer front wipers
    . Britax Frontier 90

Supporting Member

I forget how long our original Michelins lasted but now we have Hydroedges and they seem great so far.
    Our van crossed 50k miles today.
    2006 LE 8 Salsa Red
    87,xxx miles
    Michelin Defender Tires
    K&N Filter

My 2004 tires stayed on the car 5+ years... I think it was around 75,000km. They had about 1 more (summer) season in them when we got rid of the car. Now I use winter tires and it is going to get confusing, since the tires are not always on the car so I can't just use the odometer to measure their life.
    main ride: '09 Louis Garneau - Urbania 2.0 bike :-)
    (Sienna is for the family...)

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by am12
    Now I use winter tires and it is going to get confusing, since the tires are not always on the car so I can't just use the odometer to measure their life.
    You can note the odometer reading at each swap, and add up the differences in the readings.

I didn't keep careful track of this, so I don't really know how much of the first 100,000 km (60,000 miles) or so of our Sienna's life was on the OEM all-seasons, and how much was on the first set of winter tires, only that those two sets went that distance between them. The winters still had significant tread, but one failed to hold air (still don't know exactly why) and I wanted better tread for winter anyway so I replaced them.

I suspect that the OEM all-seasons wore faster than typical because the Sienna is heavy for its tire size, and wore out after less tread wear because they start with less tread (a technique to reduce rolling resistance and thus improve rated fuel economy with OEM tires). The winter tires probably wore out in less distance than would generally be expected of modern tires, for the same reason of weight versus size, and because winter tires wear faster on pavement than summer or all-season tires.

Thanks for the comments about how long the OEM tires last ... somehow its comforting to know that my experience (tires to last about 40K) is not unusual.

My runflats got too many flats at about 22K they were pretty worn. At 55 my Goodyear assurance had a broken belt they were pretty worn and I would have might have made it thru the winter but not sure. The AWD seems pretty rough on tires
    2006 XLE Limited AFP

I changed the OEM Michelins at about 38K, but probably could have stretched to another 5K. Now on TripleTreds - love them so far.

A friend of mine has gone through 2 sets of tires in <20K each time, but his wife drives their 04 Sienna like it's a dragster.
    06 Sienna LE, 110K+ miles

Supporting Member

I got about 60K mi out of the OEM Michellins LX4s but the plies separated (wouldn't balance any more) and I had to replace them.
    2007 Sienna LE, Silver shadow pearl, DRL
    Sound Insulated with Peel and Seal
    MB Quart Rear Separates
    Chrome LED Side view mirror covers
    Polished SS exhaust tip
    glovebox LED light
    uluahunter LED lightstrip mod (24 LED rear amber turn signals and 120 LED brake light)
    96 LED rear storage light

Changed all four of mine out at around 31,000. 2007 Sienna LE, but don't remember what brand and model of tire they were.

2008 Limited, 25,800 miles. Crappy OEM tires....I think they're Dunlop. Sounds like I'm on the low end of the tire-burning scale.

I just ordered a set of 4 Michelin Hydroedges. Getting them on Monday. I'm hoping I get more than 26k out of them!!

Did you get yours put on yet? If so, do you like them?
    2008 Limited FWD w/NAV; 25k miles as of Jan 2010

I'm still running on the original Dunlop ST4's at 45,000+ miles on my '07 LE 8-passenger. Remaining tread is to about the middle of Lincoln's forehead on a penny inserted between the tread wear bars on all four tires. Tread wear is pretty even due to the tires being rotated every 5,000 miles and tire pressures are checked monthly. I always ran Michelin's on the Astrovan I replaced with the Sienna and had excellent results with them. The Astro was on it's second set of Michelin's when I traded it at 185,000 miles. It was a conversion van in the same weight class as the Sienna and it's OEM Tiger Paw tires were "slicks" by 50,000 miles. I intend to replace the Sienna's tires with the Hydro-edge tires when the time comes -- I like the specs on the Hydro's.

Rich
    Rich
    '91 Toyota Corolla Station Wagon
    '07 Sienna LE 8-passenger

Supporting Member

I got my first Sienna, a 2000, used with 20k miles. At about 25k miles I ended up having to replace the tires. I now have an '07, and it's at 27k and some change. Now when I do replace these, is it better to have it done at the Toyota dealership? The reason I ask is because of the TPMS. I don't know that I trust your ordinary garden variety tire shop with those sensors. Or have most of you had good experiences with having them install your tires? Just wondering.....

17. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast