Doughnut Spare tire
NEWS

1. Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum General discussion forum for Toyota Sienna

Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Sienna.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Sienna Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Doughnut Spare tire

Doughnut Spare tire

After 2 sets of runflats I purchased the Hydro Edges. I was also lucky enough to get a 17" doughnut spare from the junk yard (sorry, salvage yard). The Hydro's are 225/60/17. The doughnut has a 155/70/17 tire and the receipt shows it came from a 2004 Solara.
    I placed the doughnut next to the rear Hydro and noticed that it was about 1.25" shorter.

Is this the correct tire on the doughnut rim?

Can I use the doughnut with the 155/70/17 tire on the Sienna without causing premature wear?

thanks in advance.
    tm

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Re: Doughnut Spare tire

Quote Originally Posted by tmvan
    ... from the junk yard (sorry, salvage yard).
    Also known as
    • automotive recycler
    • used auto parts retailer
    ... and probably a few more.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by tmvan
    The doughnut has a 155/70/17 tire and the receipt shows it came from a 2004 Solara.
    I placed the doughnut next to the rear Hydro and noticed that it was about 1.25" shorter.

Is this the correct tire on the doughnut rim?
    Although the Sienna and Camry (including Solara) use similarly sized wheels, the Sienna uses taller tires. The second-generation Sienna spare is a T155/80R17, which has a diameter of 26.8". That's very close to the diameter of the Sienna's full-sized tires, and substantially taller (due to each sidewall being 10% of the 155 mm width taller) than the Camry/Solara-sized T155/70R17. The Camry/Solara tire is not the right size for the Sienna

In addition to the diameter difference, the smaller spare tire probably has insufficient load capacity to safely handle the heavier Sienna, but that's only my guess.

Thanks for your answer.

I ordered one t155/80r17 from tire rack for $162!! Oh well. :o

Now, for sale: one t155/70r17 tire!!

Just called Tire Rack. They quoted me $278 + shipping + mounting. Total would come to about $310. At least that's cheaper than the local Toyota dealer quoted - $482!

I'm seeing some mentions that tire sealers (Slime, fix-a-flat, etc) might cause problems with TPMS systems

Time for some sticky strings and the air pump.

Ticked off that Toyota did something this unworkable!! Maybe I should just buy a second set of tires instead.

Sorry for the vent/whine,
    Mark

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by nomosilo
    Ticked off that Toyota did something this unworkable!!
    I'm not sure that I see anything "unworkable" here. Compact spares seem expensive for what they are, but very rarely need replacement so that's not usually a big deal. This is not just a Toyota decision, as most modern cars have a compact spare, or use run-flat tires and have no spare at all.

Oh, I see... it was probably the run-flats-and-no-spare which is "unworkable". That's not so uncommon, either, although it is usually found in either exotics with very little room and huge tires, or tiny cars with just very little room (Smart ForTwo, BMW Mini). The world is not overflowing with AWD minivans, so it's hard to compare with companies other than Toyota.

I just bought a motorhome, and it didn't even come with a spare... and doesn't have run-flats. You get a flat, you call a tire shop with a service truck, or get towed to a tire shop, and either way you're immobile until help comes and you need to buy a tire to resume travel. The compact spare isn't so bad in comparison.

From brief skimming of some results of a quick Google search, it appears that Pontiac G8 (V6 engine version), some Australian Fords (coincidence? the G8 is an Australian GM...), the VW Routan (and thus perhaps the Chrysler original), and the European version of the Ford Escape (the "Maverick") use the same size. That may not help a lot, but at least it shows that the size is not completely obscure.

We'll probably wind up disagreeing on this. That's ok.

Nope, it's for a FWD '05. Checking the spare tire last fall found that it was rotted around the ring where it's contacting the floor in it's mounting point. It's seldom been in areas with ice, but has been mostly in the southern US. Dry rot on the bottom where the heat and some reflected sunlight would get to the tire, I'd understand. On the relatively protected top indicates to me that either 1) there is an interaction between the tire rubber and the paint / coating underneath the vehicle or 2) this mounting position traps road contaminants and causes rotting faster that would normally be expected.

I'm not familiar with all the vehicles mentioned. I'd guess at least a couple hold their spare tires either on the inside of the vehicle where they're protected from chemical and UV damage, or someplace protected from direct spray from the wheels on the ground.

I've had spares rot before, but that was after spending 10+ years in the trunk. Just a cursory reading of the forum raises a concern to me that what I'd consider premature rotting (less than 5 years in these cases) may not be an isolated event.

If that's all true (yeah, I know about 'if') replacing a spare tire every 4 years that costs nearly as much as all the others put together isn't a workable solution.

(edit - if the tire is obtained from a dealer, it costs well more than a reasonable set of 4 tires installed. About $482 from a local dealer. Craziness!)

Mark

Supporting Member

We'll probably wind up disagreeing on this. That's ok.
    It's all just a discussion. Any information sharing is good.

On the relatively protected top indicates to me that either 1) there is an interaction between the tire rubber and the paint / coating underneath the vehicle or 2) this mounting position traps road contaminants and causes rotting faster that would normally be expected.
    It has been a while since I checked our spare, but our Sienna is a year older, and roughly a year ago the spare was just fine. It gets salt-sprayed regularly in winter, and rarely cleaned (I'm not diligent about sticking the spray wand underneath as I should be).

If there is undercoating, then I can believe it is bad for the tire. In my opinion, undercoating on a modern vehicle is bad in many ways; ours is as it came from the factory.

I'm not familiar with all the vehicles mentioned. I'd guess at least a couple hold their spare tires either on the inside of the vehicle where they're protected from chemical and UV damage, or someplace protected from direct spray from the wheels on the ground.
    Yes, most spares are inside, but on the other hand every pickup truck (okay, almost every pickup truck... not the Honda Ridgeline) holds the spare under the floor like the Sienna. It doesn't seem like an unreasonable place to me.

My guess is that the reflected UV intensity is pretty low.

I've had spares rot before, but that was after spending 10+ years in the trunk. Just a cursory reading of the forum raises a concern to me that what I'd consider premature rotting (less than 5 years in these cases) may not be an isolated event.
    I agree than rotting out in less than 5 years is premature.

Perhaps it is not isolated; I had not noticed a trend. Yes, people are looking for the compact spare, but usually to add a spare to an AWD which didn't have one (thus my earlier confusion).

If that's all true (yeah, I know about 'if') replacing a spare tire every 4 years that costs nearly as much as all the others put together isn't a workable solution.
    I agree; I just don't see that a four-year life is anything like typical.

Quote Originally Posted by brian_bp
    It has been a while since I checked our spare, but our Sienna is a year older, and roughly a year ago the spare was just fine. It gets salt-sprayed regularly in winter, and rarely cleaned (I'm not diligent about sticking the spray wand underneath as I should be).
    You might want to The folks at my office 'said' they were going to check theirs. So the sample size will increase to 3

If there is undercoating, then I can believe it is bad for the tire. In my opinion, undercoating on a modern vehicle is bad in many ways; ours is as it came from the factory.
    AFAIK, ours is as from the factory. Certainly nothing has been added since delivered from the dealer.

Yes, most spares are inside, but on the other hand every pickup truck (okay, almost every pickup truck... not the Honda Ridgeline) holds the spare under the floor like the Sienna. It doesn't seem like an unreasonable place to me.
    I was thinking about that. If it's like most pickups, it's in the middle of the vehicle, therefore not in the direct spray of the front or rear tires. I'm sure it gets wet, it's not getting 'hosed down' like the Sienna's that's mounted more to the side for ease of access.

Of course, it could be that the car washes that use an under carriage spray get their detergent up in there and that causes problems. It may not affect center line under body mounted spares either. Still, that's an eventuality that should be foreseen, or at least addressed, sometime during the model run.

I agree; I just don't see that a four-year life is anything like typical.
    Don't know how 'widespread' it is on these vehicles. Since the cables, which are basically enclosed inside the area we're talking about are having problems, seems there's lots of stuff that gets thrown up in there.

Supporting Member

If it's like most pickups, it's in the middle of the vehicle, therefore not in the direct spray of the front or rear tires. I'm sure it gets wet, it's not getting 'hosed down' like the Sienna's that's mounted more to the side for ease of access.
    On the other hand, the pickup (and many traditional SUV, and the first-generation Sienna) spares are entirely behind the rear axle, so they are getting rear tire spray. I'm not sure which position (2nd/3rd gen Sienna or typical pickup) is worse.

Certainly, competing technical requirements have led to a spare mounting which is not ideal. Life is always an exercise in compromise; I don't know if the best compromise was reached in this case.

Supporting Member

Shoulda just mounted the spare tire in the engine compartment like an old Yugo.... :o
    2004 XLE Ltd FWD Phantom Grey Pearl/Stone // 140K miles
    . Pod-Style Running Boards
    . OEM Hood Deflector (wimpy-version)
    . 'kmead/SeanY' Rear-Wiper Salute
    . 'mungpat' DIY Cabin Air Filter $$$-Saver
    . Michelin HydroEdge (ex-Yokohama TRZ) ... looking for replacements
    . Costco/Kirkland #9 battery
    . Longer front wipers
    . Britax Frontier 90

I just purchased a regular tire and wheel a lot cheaper than a donut
    2006 XLE Limited AFP

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by komondor
    I just purchased a regular tire and wheel a lot cheaper than a donut
    For tmvan with the AWD, this works unless the complete set of factory spare mounting hardware (for the space behind the third row of seats) is to be used.

For nomosilo with the rotted original compact spare, only the compact size will fit the spare wheel or fit into the underfloor mounting space.

For those who can use it, a full-size spare offers the advantage of being usable in regular rotation with the rest of the tires... if it is on a matching wheel.

15. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements