school me on the Toyota TPMS

1. Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum – General discussion forum for Toyota Sienna

Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Sienna.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Sienna Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: school me on the Toyota TPMS

school me on the Toyota TPMS

Hi,

just got a 2005 Sienna, Never owned a vehicle with TPMS before.

I want to buy a separate set of wheels/tires for summer and winter. Does both sets NEED to have TOYOTA sensors installed? What if I don't install sensors, what would happen to the system? (warning chime all day long?)

Thanks for your help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

tcp
    Devoted Member

Re: school me on the Toyota TPMS

There are no sensors in the 2005 system. It count revolutions and if one tire (the one losing air) rotates a certain percentage different than the others, the system triggers. As long as all 4 tires are the same type and about the same wear, you don't need anything.

Quote Originally Posted by j5ive
    Hi,

I want to buy a separate set of wheels/tires for summer and winter. Does both sets NEED to have TOYOTA sensors installed? What if I don't install sensors, what would happen to the system? (warning chime all day long?)

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by tcp
    There are no sensors in the 2005 system. It count revolutions and if one tire (the one losing air) rotates a certain percentage different than the others, the system triggers. As long as all 4 tires are the same type and about the same wear, you don't need anything.

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

What does that mean for my 2011 XLE? Is it just an idiot light or is there an audio warning as well?

I am thinking about getting snow tires with a new/used set of rims possibly without or non Toyota TPMS.
    2011 Sienna XLE 8 Passanger FWD Black w/ Bisque interior

tcp
    Devoted Member

Anything from 2007 onward has sensors in the wheels as mandated by US law. 2004-2006 just counted revolutions. I don't know about the 2011, but 2004-2010 had a dash light, no audio warning.

Quote Originally Posted by DUDE2057

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

What does that mean for my 2011 XLE? Is it just an idiot light or is there an audio warning as well?

I am thinking about getting snow tires with a new/used set of rims possibly without or non Toyota TPMS.

Supporting Member

I have not seen the TPMS indicator on the 2011. I know they now have a door open diagram indicator.
    2007 Sienna LE, Silver shadow pearl, DRL
    Sound Insulated with Peel and Seal
    MB Quart Rear Separates
    Chrome LED Side view mirror covers
    Polished SS exhaust tip
    glovebox LED light
    uluahunter LED lightstrip mod (24 LED rear amber turn signals and 120 LED brake light)
    96 LED rear storage light

Very interesting. Good to know. Less limitations for me then.

If you have the owners manual (if you don't have one, you can get the online version through the Toyota website by registering your vehicle.....which is free).
    it tells you to 'reset' the tpms whenever you rotate or replace tires.
    So.....I would think that putting the snow tires on....providing they are the correct size.....should be no problem.

tcp
    Devoted Member

i rotate them every spring and fall while changing from summer to winter wheels/tires. I've never needed to reset anything in 5 years of doing this. I've had the tpms light come on once, when I had a big screw in one of the tires, never when swapping them out.

Quote Originally Posted by wiswind
    If you have the owners manual (if you don't have one, you can get the online version through the Toyota website by registering your vehicle.....which is free).
    it tells you to 'reset' the tpms whenever you rotate or replace tires.
    So.....I would think that putting the snow tires on....providing they are the correct size.....should be no problem.

2007 Sienna models and beyond use 315 MHz sensors which fit inside the tire behind the valve stem. TireRack has OEM equivalent sensors, but you have to program your car to recognize the four serial numbers of the new sensors. I do it myself with a 2011 Sienna XLE using the ATEQ Quickset tool available through TireRack. Customer and Technical service through ATEQ. I had to use the 2010 Camry ( USA ) profile instead of the 2011 Sienna profile in the program for it to work with my car about two weeks ago.. ATEQ told me to do this. I don't know if future program revisions are going to fix this bug in the ATEQ Quickset software..it's a real pain and a legitimate expense, this TPMS stuff. I wish there were a way to just reset the car to recognize new sensors from the menu in the car...like a Summer/ Winter reset button.

I'm not sure if there is a chime associated with the Low Tire Pressure warning light in the 2011 Sienna. i think not. Can anyone confirm this?

According to the manual and a couple of dealership people I spoke to, there is no chime just a light that comes on. And I believe the light doesn't come on until 20 mins after the cars has been started. Then the light will flash for one minute and then stay ON.

Quote Originally Posted by wtzouris
    2007 Sienna models and beyond use 315 MHz sensors which fit inside the tire behind the valve stem. TireRack has OEM equivalent sensors, but you have to program your car to recognize the four serial numbers of the new sensors. I do it myself with a 2011 Sienna XLE using the ATEQ Quickset tool available through TireRack. Customer and Technical service through ATEQ. I had to use the 2010 Camry ( USA ) profile instead of the 2011 Sienna profile in the program for it to work with my car about two weeks ago.. ATEQ told me to do this. I don't know if future program revisions are going to fix this bug in the ATEQ Quickset software..it's a real pain and a legitimate expense, this TPMS stuff. I wish there were a way to just reset the car to recognize new sensors from the menu in the car...like a Summer/ Winter reset button.
    Thanks for posting this - I was going to call Ateq tomorrow and rip them a new one after buying a quickset based on the 2011 Sienna (4 TIRE) being on the compatibility chart, but not in the latest software. By selecting 2010 Camry (USA), I was able to download my summer set sensor codes.

-AJ Paterson

I just reset the TPMS for my winter tires with the Quickset tool. Success!!!! Using Elbrus I05 wheels on a 2011 Sienna XLE. Also found the button to reinitialize tire pressure after filling up all for tires with proper inflation. ( hidden button under the dash). Not like the visible reset button on my 2006 Sienna LE.. I had to drive a few blocks to get the TPMS warning to go out, just like the instructions said. Now with the summer and winter codes in the quickset, I may not need the computer again, just the quickset tool..cool.. Not the easiest software this ATEQ stuff. Archaeic Windows style BS... Not elegant at all. I suppose a few years from now we'll be doing this with our iPhones....

Quote Originally Posted by wtzouris
    Using Elbrus I05 wheels on a 2011 Sienna XLE.
    Cool! I just got the same setup. (almost) Elbrus I05 winter wheels with Blizzaks but on a new 2011 Sienna Base. I guess I now have to buy this ATEQ thing.

Supporting Member

I just bought an '08 Sienna LE, so it's time to begin learning about all the computer controlled stuff added to cars since buying last in '02.

Has anybody used anything other than the 'one dedicated function' ATEQ Quickset Tool to talk to the TPMS? For instance, I already own a laptop based OBD-2 system from AutoEnginuity. I only have the basic interface for 'P' codes now, but they do sell a Toyota Enhanced Code interface that can talk to hundreds of proprietary subsystems on the car.

http://www.autoenginuity.com/Toyota-....html#commands

I have written to them as well with a bunch of questions, but it might pay to simply add features to a tool I own rather than buy a bunch of separate tools.

Not only do I need this for my winter tire swaps, but I'd maybe like to look into other 'features' on the car like the VIP RS3200 security system that needs to be programmed by the Toyota Scan Tool or their TechStream device.
    '08 Sienna LE (FWD) in Slate Metallic, '02 and '14 Subaru Outback wagons
    Sienna:
    Enabled DRL & VIP RS3200 Security
    Curt 13256 2” receiver hitch & Air Lift 1000 rear spring bags
    Fog lights, mud guards, & door sill protectors
    Avery ‘Touring’ custom grey carpet 3 piece floor mat set
    Continental Extreme Winter on Sport Edition F7 rims, TMPS & ATEQ reset tool
    8yr/125k $0 deductible Platinum warranty

17. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements