Replace Rear window (Driver side) Curtain/Shade

1. Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum General discussion forum for Toyota Sienna

Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Sienna.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Sienna Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replace Rear window (Driver side) Curtain/Shade

wxm

Replace Rear window (Driver side) Curtain/Shade

The kid broke the rear window (3rd seat window) shade on my 07 Sienna XLE. It is no longer retracting. Any DIY instruction of how to replace it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Replace Rear window (Driver side) Curtain/Shade

Same here. Anyone know?

I had the same happen to the rear driver side shade- ornery little car pool toad jacked it up.

After googling with no joy, I gently pulled the rear door panel loose from its clips and unscrewed (4) the shade unit. Actually easier than I anticipated.

I'll post an update with pics once I figure out how the shade unit works.

More to follow...

UPDATE- Mission Complete! Figured it out this afternoon, pics and description on the way. Turns out the culprit was not the car pool toad, but a little enigmatic threaded plastic piece that held the tension spring.

More to follow...
    Last edited by dyeman12; 07-08-2012 at 08:17 PM.

Wow- just checked the online price for this item and it looks to be $160-$240! That's insane! Time for some home fixit action.

Items needed: Stubby Phillips Head Screwdriver
    Items nice to have: Medium Towel, Flashlight, Patient Helper

I actually did the repair first, so you will notice that the pics were taken after the fact.

1. Put down the rear third row seats. Gently pull the wall panel away from the body. It's kept in place with clips and takes a bit of pulling to get them to pop loose. I only pulled the upper half loose far enough to access the Shade Assembly.

2. Loosen the 4 Phillips screws holding shade to wall panel. This is where a stubby Phillips screwdriver is worth it's price as there is only a few inches of room.
    CAUTION- here is where the towel comes in handy to lay under the screws as a safety net- if you drop one, it is gone into the abyss of the the body cavity. Also, a couple of layers of towel will cushion your forearm from the plastic edge of the wall panel.

3. With the Shade Assembly in hand, (recommend heading to the workbench with good lighting) remove the 4 Phillips screws holding the end caps together.
    Last edited by dyeman12; 07-18-2012 at 09:27 PM.

4. If the shade has lost its spring load and is just hanging out limp, it is most likely the threaded plastic retainer that the spring screws onto. Slide the shade & spindle out of the housing and look to see if there is a black plastic section on the non threaded rod end that is sliding back & forth free. If so- that's your culprit! It has threads that engage the tension spring inside the shade spindle.

5. In the picture, you can only see it screwed back together- once I screwed the spring back in, it would not come back off, not even with pliers!

6. The trick is to tension the spring inside the spindle assembly with the shade wound back in place. Too loose and the shade will not wind completely. Too tight and the shade will prematurely ware. Good thing was the sweet spot was in between a full revolution. I want to say it was approx 4-6 Clockwise rotations that got it real close, then just run out the shade a few times to test the tension. It was pretty evident when it was right.

Before seeing your post, I did what you did dyeman. When I dis-assembled my shade, the black plastic end cap was not plugged in. It didn't fall out because it was held up by the steel rod. Upon removing the cap, I didn't find any spring like your's.
    Maybe it too late now but could you measure how long that spring is?

97itr-

Take a light and look down the tube- it's down in there. I'll bet you $160!! ...just kidding.

Back down the opposite threaded end of the rod and take a large paper clip, straitened it, bend a short hook at the end and fish out the end of the spring if you need to. Seems like once you back down the opposite threaded end, the tension spring pops out the other end. Once I screwd it back on, there was plenty of slack sticking out of the metal tube.

Sorry for the lousy pic- turns out you shouldn't need to drive out the pin of the opposite threaded end. Just back it all the way in where the other end is fully extended.

Not the best technical description, but it should Git Er Done.
    Last edited by dyeman12; 07-18-2012 at 10:57 PM.

Thanks for your input. I have a 2007 Sienna and removed the shade and could find no spring. I spent a good half hour attempting to fish the spring out to no avail. I'm convinced there never was one. I believe it was assembled without one. Since those shades are rarely used you would not have the problem until the first time you pulled the shade up. That could be immediately or 4 yrs later as was the case with mine. What was the final outcome for you? Did you have to replace the whole unit? Thanks - jons

Jons,

Sorry for the delay, I don't get here often. I was able to repair the shade and it is working fine to date.

The spring in mine was not visible until I unwound it all the way to one side and then the end of the spring protruded an inch or so. You do not have to fish out the spring if it is screwed out.

If you have a shade unit that doesn't have a spring, recommend taking the unit to a Toyota dealership and see if a manager will make it right.

[QUOTE=dyeman12;73651]
    1. Put down the rear third row seats. Gently pull the wall panel away from the body. It's kept in place with clips and takes a bit of pulling to get them to pop loose. I only pulled the upper half loose far enough to access the Shade Assembly.
    TE]

I tried hard to pull from where you have placed your finger - actually with two hands about a feet apart - pulled pretty hard. It would not come loose. What am I doing wrong? Are there any screws?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by jons View Post
    Thanks for your input. I have a 2007 Sienna and removed the shade and could find no spring. I spent a good half hour attempting to fish the spring out to no avail. I'm convinced there never was one. I believe it was assembled without one. Since those shades are rarely used you would not have the problem until the first time you pulled the shade up. That could be immediately or 4 yrs later as was the case with mine. What was the final outcome for you? Did you have to replace the whole unit? Thanks - jons

The spring is actually in the unit, trust me. It is just coiled up tight all the way in the end. What you must do is roll up the curtain first, then swing the unit like a golf swing. You will then feel the spring expand and contract due to centripetal force. You will need the rod to protrude about 2" out of the unit so when you do the golf swing, the spring will expand and get caught on the rod. From there you will be able to grab hold of the spring and complete the repair. I was able to fix my shade using this method. Hope this helps.

Stylez
    Last edited by Stylez; 05-07-2013 at 12:43 AM.
    2004 Toyota Sienna
    XLE Limited AWD (All-Wheel-Drive)
    Desert Sand Mica (Gold or Brown)

dyeman12 YOU ROCK! Thanks so much for your detailed directions. Haven't tried them yet but my all-the-way-back passenger-side shade has this problem and I've put off fixing it until now.

14. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements