Variable Valve Timing Oil Line Failures 3.5l V6 - Page 4
NEWS

1. Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum – General discussion forum for Toyota Sienna

Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Sienna.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Sienna Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Variable Valve Timing Oil Line Failures 3.5l V6

Re: Variable Valve Timing Oil Line Failures 3.5l V6

toolman, if you could post this recall letter, I'd appreciate it. It's funny that they state that crankcase gasses can be corrosive to rubber. My wife's car has a GM Ecotec engine that just runs crankcase gasses straight back to the air intake via a rubber hose (no PCV valve). After only six years this rubber hose was absolutely worn out (brittle, with large cracks running down the length of the hose). All other rubber hoses underneath the hood, such as radiator hoses, all still look brand new. I thought it was odd that only this hose would wear out, but if crankcase gasses are corrosive, this would explain it.
    2008 Sienna LE 2WD

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

Toolman thanks for sharing this info with us this issue scares me ,I would really like to fix this especially on Toyota's dime!! Is this a recall letter or tsb or a courtesy repair ? Thanks in advance.
    2008 Sienna LE 2WD Blue Mirage
    Mods Airlift 1000 air bags
    Toyota Sienna door sill protectors
    Kenwood Dnx 6160 dvd/nav w 14' monitor
    Chrome exhaust tip (he he)
    Activated DRL's

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by toolman
    Good news!! Just received my recall notice from Toyota to replace the VVT oil line in question. But it is disappointing as they call it a limited time offer. I feel that the only reason they are actually taking action is because of all the bad PR over sticking throttles.

The recall letter is fairly descriptive about the issue. Stating improper rubber material was used and cracks develop because of corrosive PCV gases.

TM

If you are able to post the TSB or campaign number...or whatever "reference number" and what it is actually called that you received, it would probably be very helpful to the many 2ndGen Siennas that would be affected by this.

General FYI for all readers....go back to the original link in the very first post on this topic on Page 1. There have been some updates.

YMMV.
    Good Luck!! 8)
    2004 XLE Ltd FWD Phantom Grey Pearl/Stone // 140K miles
    . Pod-Style Running Boards
    . OEM Hood Deflector (wimpy-version)
    . 'kmead/SeanY' Rear-Wiper Salute
    . 'mungpat' DIY Cabin Air Filter $$$-Saver
    . Michelin HydroEdge (ex-Yokohama TRZ) ... looking for replacements
    . Costco/Kirkland #9 battery
    . Longer front wipers
    . Britax Frontier 90

Quote Originally Posted by tcamry2000
    If your car is still under warranty, and they refuse to fix it, I heard this procedure below works.

-Got some used engine oil from your car
    -Use a small plastic tub, drop the used oil right at the rubber VVT-I Oil Hose
    -Bring car to the dealer, and have them check for oil leakā€¦

Perhaps, repeating procedure might get metal pipe instead rubber hoseā€¦.

Your trick worked. Thank you very much.... I did exactly from your procedure, bring car in for checking oil leak; I did not demand to fix it, just check oil leak only.

Phone ring....as expected

-"Sir your car has been fixed"

-Oh how much does it cost to fix it?

-"It's not cost you a dime sir"

- Oh, ok thank you very much, what was wrong?

-" A piece of rubber...."

-Oh ok, thank you very much for your help.

I picked up my car, but they only replaced rubber and clamps part...

I might repeat procedure in few month to get metal part .....

Again, thank you for the trick...The beauty of your trick is just ask for checking oil leak....
    2007 Sienna LE pkg 4
    4.5 Qrt CVT drain&fill @ 22K (07/18/2009)

2007 Prius pkg 4
    4.0 Qrt CVT drain&fill @ 62K (07/18/2009)
    Tire set replace at 62K (07/13/2009)

2006 Prius pkg 2
    4.0 Qrt CVT drain&fill @ 126.5K (08/25/2009)

Brilliant!

Any update toolman ?
    Activated DRL's

Just an update to this thread. I brought my 08 Sienna (built in Feb 08) for my 2nd intermediate shaft replacement under warranty and the service adviser told me about this recall. Hmm, I thought, I never received any documentation on this recall, must be a TSB or something. I told them to go ahead to fix it. My service papers clearly said it is a warranty work.

So, fast forward about 2.5 hours now, I've checked on-line and there are numerous failure on the 2GR-FE engine specific to this oil line (RAV4, Camry, Avalon) - over time, the rubber hose will degrade and leak, losing engine oil. Keep an eye out for oil in your garage/driveways... As far as I know, it affects 2GR-FE engines prior to March 08 built date.

Give your dealership a call, mine was courteous enough to offer me the fix during full warranty, even though I think there is no recall campaign specific to the Sienna...
    2008 Sienna XLE FWD, Silver Shadow Pearl, EVP#4, 17' Alloys, Fog Lamp Pkg.
    Mods:
    - Rear Spoiler
    - Color Coded Mudguards
    - Toyota All-Weather Mats
    - Toyota Chrome Tailpipe Tips
    - Invisiblemask Front Protection
    - NuShield GPS Screen Protection
    - Rear Well Cargo Mat
    - PadsPlus Foam Pads

Supporting Member

I believe that a non-warranty fix described in a TSB is supposed to be applied in response to a customer's concern. Offering it in the absence of any identification of a problem by the customer is not likely a courtesy; rather, it seems likely to me that it is the dealer fishing for Toyota-paid work.

I called my dealer today regarding the oil line issue....he ran my VIN number and it came back with an open recall for the oil line. They will be replacing with the all metal line on Thursday. I did not receive anything in the mail from Toyota.

Thanks slickracer this is great info, this would be an expense to your average consumer I am glad to hear that Toyota is stepping up this time please keep us informed
    Activated DRL's

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by slickracer
    I called my dealer today regarding the oil line issue....he ran my VIN number and it came back with an open recall for the oil line. They will be replacing with the all metal line on Thursday. I did not receive anything in the mail from Toyota.
    This is a recall. Owners over time will get a notice in the mail over time if you are registered with a correct mailing address I believe. The dealer will have the best updated info on this.

I don't think they are replacing the line with the all medal line. They are replacing just the rubber line and the clamps.
    2004 CE
    AIR LIFT '1000'
    OVERHEAD 'DEALER' DVD
    'HITCH CITY' 2' HITCH
    Support 'SIENNACHAT' HERE

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by robo5
    This is a recall. Owners over time will get a notice in the mail over time if you are registered with a correct mailing address I believe. The dealer will have the best updated info on this.
    Is this really a recall? Neither the Toyota Canada nor Toyota USA recall lists say anything about, and it is not in NHTSA's Office of Defect Investigation list, either. Has anyone checked the VIN of their 2GR-FE equipped Sienna online in the applicable (to the country) owners' online service to get the official description? I realize that one dealer said "recall", but that's a much-abused term. Even a Voluntary Service Campaign would generate a letter to the owner, without being a recall in the terms of the regulatory agencies.

The best updated info might be available to the dealer (they seem to be left in the dark by Toyota sometimes), but even if they have it that doesn't necessarily mean that the owner will get it.

Supporting Member

I checked my 07 at the owners' online service and it states the following:

LSC 90K - Variable Valve Timing (VVT-i) Oil Hose Replacement
    Code: 90K
    Memo
    This is a Limited Service Campaign. Please contact your authorized Toyota dealer to schedule an appointment to replace the VVT-I oil hose with a newly designed one before March 31, 2013.
    2007 Sienna LE, Silver shadow pearl, DRL
    Sound Insulated with Peel and Seal
    MB Quart Rear Separates
    Chrome LED Side view mirror covers
    Polished SS exhaust tip
    glovebox LED light
    uluahunter LED lightstrip mod (24 LED rear amber turn signals and 120 LED brake light)
    96 LED rear storage light

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by tbalon
    I checked my 07 at the owners' online service and it states the following...
    Excellent! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tbalon
    LSC 90K - Variable Valve Timing (VVT-i) Oil Hose Replacement
    Code: 90K
    Memo
    This is a Limited Service Campaign. Please contact your authorized Toyota dealer to schedule an appointment to replace the VVT-I oil hose with a newly designed one before March 31, 2013.
    So not a recall, and not a Voluntary Service Campaign, but a (Time-)Limited Service Campaign. That's one step up from the if-you-complain-we'll-fix-it Technical Service Bulletin, but short of a it-needs-to-be-fixed-to-be-safe recall.

Quote Originally Posted by robo5

I don't think they are replacing the line with the all medal line. They are replacing just the rubber line and the clamps.
    Well, the man said they replace with the all metal line. Please excuse me for posting what I was told. I was very specific when I asked how they make the repair.

17. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast