Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

2012 XLE FWD - oil filter recommendations?

10K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  ssturbo 
#1 ·
Hi, all. I have a 2012 XLE FWD, and it is my first Sienna. Can anyone confirm whether this Sienna would take the same oil filter as the 2011? Also, can anyone recommend which aftermarket oil filter would be good to use? Any help is much appreciated, so thanks in advance. :)

#2 ·
Yes, the filters are the same for 2011 and 2012.

How long are your oil change intervals? Still under warranty I assume? Why not just have the dealer do it, in case you have an engine claim some day?

When I did my own oil changes while under factory warranty: I would always keep the receipts for the oil purchase, and take photos of the odometer and of the oil change process. I'd have the mileage written on the new oil bottles and on the filters. (With the old and new filters in view of the photo).. VERY anal, I know, but dealers will very quickly dismiss DIY oil changes even with receipts. (How do they know you actually put the oil in the vehicle?) Luckily for me I never had an engine issue, but this was at a time where the early 2000 Sienna's were sludging up, and I didn't (and still don't) trust the people they staff on the oil change line at the local dealer.

#3 ·
e40, thank you so much for answering my question. I did my first oil-change at 4000 miles, and I had planned on continuing changes every 8000 miles. However, I'm now overdue on that schedule, given I'm at 14000 miles. This Sienna is indeed under warranty, but the stealership charges a fortune, as I do not have free maintenance included in my purchase (I think that's called "Extended Care Package," -- not sure). Instead, what I normally do is stock up on synthetic oil when I find it on sale, and I get my local tire guy to change the oil while I watch (yes, I too have trust issues). I've sourced out a good price for suitable oil filters at www.autohausaz.com at $4.36 per unit, but I just want to ensure this product will serve me as well as OEM (who manufacturers the Toyota-OEM filters, anyway?). Check out the site, and let me know your thoughts.

#7 ·
Why not go with genuine Toyota? They are $47/case of 10 on eBay (free shipping). (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-Qty-10...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ca296e9a1&vxp=mtr)
As it turns out, genuine Toyota filters are what I end up getting from above-mentioned vendor at above-mentioned price.
I'm certain this part is "good" or "good enough." I do wonder, however, whether there are filters out there that will perform better for the same/similar price.

Thanks, all, for viewing/participating in this thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.