Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

Fixed Failed Power Slider Due to Cable Failure!!

30K views 31 replies 21 participants last post by  thanwu 
#1 ·
I finally managed to fix our inoperative passenger sliding door!

We had suffered from cable spool failure on the door motor, leaving the door stuck open until the cables were cut. Up until recently, the only way to fix this was to replace the whole motor, motor housing, and the cables. We were able to buy a replacement spool which comes with the black metal housing, as a stand alone part. Pictured below is the spool and housing, with the motor from the former set up installed. Typically the motor is fine, but the plastic spool housing fails, taking the cables with it. It took about 2 minutes to combine the two parts. The white plastic at the center holds the spool in place until the spool is dropped onto the motor spindle. It is then discarded.

Following the sliding door repair TSB ( http://siennachat.com/forum/index.php/topic,1631.0.html ), the replacement took about an hour. I did have the help of my brother-in-law, who is a Toyota mechanic, but patience and attention to detail put the project within the reach of the average shade tree mechanic.

His cost for the replacement cable spool and motor housing was a tick under $400, while the same assembly with the motor would set him back just under $800. Those numbers are his cost, which is about 5% over true dealer cost, NOT retail. He recalls that the dealership would typically charge 4 hours of labor to compelte the job. At retail prices, you are looking at probably $1300 to $1500 for the repair, depending on which part was used. I was able to get the job done for much less than that (even taking into account some good German beer thrown in at the end of the job).

Comparing the two spool assemblies, it is still my belief that the original spool cover is thinner that the one that replaced it and was essentially "shattered" when it was removed from the door. With luck, later MYs got the beefier spool assembly. Now only time will tell until the other side goes.....

EDIT: added link to the sliding door TSB for convenience.
BY: topspy/Mod-Squad

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: The Hoov
#28 ·
It is good to know the door will still work manually. Is it still motorized into the lock position once it nears the closing position? Or it "just" closes like a manual door does? I avoid using the auto passenger door on my van. The drivers side is all manual.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.