Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

Am i crazy?

Tags
crazy
2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  coraider 
#1 ·
I maybe crazy but what do you guys think if I swap my SE springs with non SE ( le,XLE) springs? Even just the rears so my passengers (wife and 2 kids) will be comfortable. If I could rent or borrow an air compressor ( I have all the air tools I needed) I'm sure I could do the rears in 2 hours (excluding tire removal, jacking,sitting on jackstands and safety stuff). Do you guys think I will create an imbalance in the suspension by just doing the rears? I know it's not recommended but is it worth it? any Vossen sienna owners or any owner who switched to coilovers willing to sell their non SE springs? Thank you guys..

#2 ·
Do you want a change because the ride is too rough? Is it more ground clearance you're after? Before you commit to this course of action, you should find out the spring rate of the two springs. The springs may not be the sole culprit of ride issues...Perhaps the ride issue could be addressed with different SHOCKS or smaller rims and tires?
Many owners, as you may know, use lift bags in the rear to compensate for a loaded vehicle. the ride can deteriorate as it becomes loaded due to bottoming out.

just some ideas.

#3 ·
Do you want a change because the ride is too rough? Is it more ground clearance you're after? Before you commit to this course of action, you should find out the spring rate of the two springs. The springs may not be the sole culprit of ride issues...Perhaps the ride issue could be addressed with different SHOCKS or smaller rims and tires?
Many owners, as you may know, use lift bags in the rear to compensate for a loaded vehicle. the ride can deteriorate as it becomes loaded due to bottoming out.

just some ideas.
I am just after more comfortable ride for the back passengers,you my be right about different shocks so I may need to replace them too if ever.I was also thinking maybe my SE springs will soften a bit as I put more mileage(currently have 1320 miles on the odo). I don't know if they will so I need feedback from SE owners.

#4 ·
definitely get feedback from SE owners, I have an XLE so cannot help. i suspect the sexy tires and wheels are a major source of impact harshness and poor ride, just my opinion...

changing the rear suspension on the vehicle only may cause too much bounce in the rear compared to the front, it will just feel weird, then there is the issue of cornering- stiffer front vs rear will eliminate the inherent balance Toyota built into the van...

Is there anyone around you with an XLE or LE with their factory, smaller rim/tire combo to try out?

Could it be that the cold weather is making the factory rubber firm up (as opposed to winter tires that stay pliable) and as the weather warms your issue may get better?

the winter makes the ground heave unevenly around here and I notice the roads are rougher in the winter. Come springtime thing get smoother!

#5 ·
I agree that tires are probably a big part of this. To answer your question...no I wouldn't start swapping suspension parts. But you may want to consider adding the airbags. It's very cheap/easy and anytime I've installed them on other vehicles they've improved the ride once you find that sweet spot for adjusting psi.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.